1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Bring old coach to new building

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Amen.

Bring old coach to new building

By DALE ROBERTSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets are just like the joint they're moving into downtown.

All the major pieces are in place, and the building looks marvelous from a distance. But, up close, when you peer inside, it's still a mess.

The Rockets also are just like the joint they're leaving, if you bought into their owner's own glossy preseason prospectus.

Compaq Center was a state-of-the-art gem when it opened, but it didn't have staying power. As time passed, it faded badly.

But, then, what should we have expected for a paltry $18 million?

That's right, construction of the not quite 28-year-old Greenway Plaza arena the Rockets said bye-bye to Tuesday night cost slightly less than Yao Ming's contract -- assuming the Rockets pick up his fourth-season option, which would seem likely -- and exactly the sum of the guaranteed money Moochie Norris has coming to him.

The erstwhile Summit, built well and on the cheap, served them smashingly, though. No other sports facility in Houston's history has ever been the home of a team that won a major world championship. The Rockets hung two banners there and their sister franchise, the Comets, added four of its own. All of these priceless tapestries will be carefully transported to the (Fill in the Naming Rights Blank)'s rafters and, hopefully, the winning will begin anew.

Alas, for now, all is on hold. The Rockets will have no postseason obligations for the fourth year running and the Comets' regular season remains in jeopardy because of the WNBA's first serious labor scuffle. Should the women not get an agreement by Friday evening, Compaq has presumably hosted its final basketball game.

But the hockey season lives on, so we have indeed come full circle -- in more ways than one. The 1975-76 Rockets, who beat Milwaukee on the arena's opening night before 7,142 people and more than 9,000 empty seats despite ticket prices being a fraction of what they are today, wound up 40-42 and AWOL from the playoffs, as did these 42-39 Rockets, who closed Compaq with a 97-86 win over the Memphis Grizzlies before 14,704. (Oddly, both teams finished 28-13 at home.)

The original Aeros, those featuring Gordie Howe and Sons, held their Summit coming-out party a couple nights later before 12,053 customers. The defending WHA champions were a stronger draw in the mid-70s than the under-appreciated NBA franchise, which had attracted a "crowd" of 2,160 for its last opener at Hofheinz Pavilion.

The current American Hockey League Aeros are back in the playoffs and open tonight against a team from Milwaukee.

The links between 1975 and 2003 are scant. On the hockey side, there are none to speak of. For the Rockets, the eternal broadcasting duet of Gene Peterson and Jim Foley keep jawing on. And TV color man Calvin Murphy, whose fashion statements have, uh, evolved through the years, was one of five Rockets in double figures when the Rockets beat the Bucks 104-89.

That game's leading scorer? Rudy Tomjanovich, with 24. That game's leading rebounder? Tomjanovich, with 14.

Rudy T, of course, couldn't be with us this night because he's on leave while being treated for bladder cancer. Given that he has been a Rocket his entire adult life, predating even their Houston era, his absence was one of the evening's two biggest bummers, right up there with the score being so utterly meaningless.

But there's no way he could have attended. Too many questions, not enough answers, pertaining both to his physical well-being and his professional standing.

These Rockets were supposed to be ready to win again and, because they didn't, Tomjanovich's continued association with the organization is being questioned by many fans, probably including the fan whose vote counts the most. After pronouncing his Rockets "one of the greatest teams ever assembled," it never occurred to Leslie Alexander that he might not have any postseason checks to cash, or any carry-over excitement as he tries to fill some 2,000 more seats and sell 80 luxury suites before next November.

Rudy, therefore, becomes central to the debate of where the Rockets go from here, and I'm not referring to the changing zip codes. But, no matter how restless the natives may be or how chagrined he is with another shortfall season, could Alexander really fire a man with Tomjanovich's bedrock-deep roots, who's also battling a scary illness?

And to whom Les will still have to pay another $12 million, no matter what decision ultimately comes down?

The answer on all counts is a resounding no! Remember, the Rockets won the last five games Rudy coached. While indications are they would have belly-flopped on his watch as they did on Larry Smith's, that's conjecture.

Assuming his health permits, and it should based on early medical reports, Tomjanovich must have the chance to coach the Rockets in their new digs. Moreover, all other factors notwithstanding, it begs the obvious to say he should be given a second go with Yao.

The plush Polk Street pad, as cutting edge today as the Summit was back when, will have been four years -- and two referendums -- in the making when it finally opens. No reason why Rudy can't have four years, too.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Holy Cow! Only 18 Million?

I think Les carries that around in his wallet!

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Anything is fine with me as long as Larry Smith is NOT coaching our team!!

4. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly Dale. Shoot yeah. Let's just forget all those other factors and go sentimental. What the heck, it's only one more season (a mere 82 games) that we'd be throwing away. :rolleyes:

Pssst, Dale, they don't have to FIRE Rudy. They just have to nudge him somewhere else in the organization. Reassignment instead of firing should be his reward for his years of loyal service. Didn't we learn anything a couple of years ago when we decided we couldn't let another Rocket legend linger and delay the course correction and future success of the team? And let it look like it's his decision.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I dont mind having rudy back. Give him another chance. Also, like in the article, Les wont give up on RUDY, while he still has to pay him $12million.

NO MORE PJ'S CURSE!!!

NO ARENA...NEW CLOTHES>.....YES!!!:D

6. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Yetti, cannot agree more. Watching Larry Smith's coach really make me sick.

Does he have issues with Yao or he just simply fall in love with Cato? How many times Yao sit the whole 4th QT while we still have playoff chance OR NOT?

Well, how about giving some play time to Boki? I know today means something to him, it will be 7 - 10 under his coaching instead 6 -10, but why not give Boki 2 mins play time and show some love. God, I hate this guy.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Bring Rudy back, but PLEASE hire some decent asst coaches.

8. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I've thought the same thing for weeks.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

maybe he just doesn't like playing softees down low when he doesn't have to.

10. PrinceDevon

PrinceDevon Member

I agree with ROcket03 bring back Rudy for one more shot!

But please add some real assistants(coaches with real Basketball knowledge) to the Bench and if at all possible bring in a veteran back up point guard....Somebody who can help Steve with the finer Art of Ball distribution and if the coach has to pull Stevedue to stupidity...we would have somebody who could effectively run the team.

PrinceDevon

11. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

I support any coach who can install TEAM basketball. Please stop to run ISO offense, it's so boring and hard to watch. Can any long time rockets fan tell me whether rudy can run team basketball?

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is an argument?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look,

The Head coach takes the credit and the blame, it is not the assistants that are designing the offense and defense it is Rudy.

If you don't like the results, you have to get rid of the source.

DD

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No credit, just blame.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To me, it's not so much his coaching style (although his substitutions give me conniptions sometimes) as much as how he drafts his team. (CD rubber-stamping the selections.)

Eddie Griffin. Blocked shots equals good D? yeah right.

Damn Lanky, Turkcan, Boki. Jury's still out on Boki. But what's the deal with drafting lanky white guys for the 3? Rudy sees himself in them. Meanwhile, Rashard is kicking A in Seattle. It's like drafting someone who crammed for a test, then took a Rumpelstiltskin on us (is that the one who slept so much?)

Moochie, Drew, Mad MAx, et al. They hit the occasional GAME-WINNING BIG SHOT. Otherwise they're problems as players or persons.

And so on.

16. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I agree with you DaDa!

How many seasons of suffer to we have to bare watching ISO's, selfish play, 3 guard lineups and idiot dribbling exhibition before we make a change for the future.

Les wants stability, perhaps he wants stabiltiy in putting up tough fights with the good teams, and slaughtering the bad teams. He probably realizes that we would be in the playoffs, if the gutless Rockets took care of business with the bad teams this year.

If Rudy has not been able to control these guys by now, why does anybody think he will control them next year.

As Rudy stated during training camp, "WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE OUR MOTION OFFENSE!! or how about 2 years ago when he stated, WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE US TURN INTO A RUNNING FASTBREAK TEAM? what will the pitch be for next year?

I agree with ESPN when the stated that Rudy was an inspirational leader, not an X & O coach.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I love Rudy and I would love to see him come back BUT the Rockets have to change. Don't subject fans to another year of stupidball. Change players, change assistants, change offensive sets, but CHANGE. Enough is enough.

I have been struggling to understand how the performances we have seen on the floor are wholely the result of coaching. For example, it is hard to imagine Rudy telling Francis," Hey, when you see an open player (four of them) go one on four and jump into the crowd, throw up a wild a** shot, and fall down. And when the game is on the line try a behind the back pass for a turnover." Can you imagine Rudy telling the guards, "walk the ball up the court then dribble out the shot clock, that's the ticket!" Can you imagine Rudy teaching lazy telegraphed passes, or saying, " I don't want anyone playing defense," or "Hey, Griff, I want you only shooting threes!" The team's problems go beyond coaching, surely.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

barbourdg, you know what, I had forgotten about the "fast break" promise. That never happened. Then the "motion" promise, that never happened. Who will pay to see games next year if it turns out to be the SOS, same old stuff?

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wow, I was thinking just the opposite. This is the first time RUdy has ever taken any heat. He has normally been given all the credit in the world, even in times when he may not have deserved it.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

regarding the $12m contract.

Most contracts for coaches that are guaranteed also require fired coaches to diligently seek employment. Upon rehiring, the old contract becomes void. This is what is happening with Bill Fitch. The Clippers sued him for not looking for new work.

If Rudy is fired, he will find another job quickly. The $12m is largely irrelevant, if Les wants to fire Rudy.