1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Borris Miles' victory reflects a new generation of black elected officials

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 13, 2006.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

link

thought this was interesting, article on this young black politician taking out an older black politician, one the texas mainstays Al Edwards.

By KRISTEN MACK
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Borris Miles is hardly a household name in Houston, but he's a savvy businessman and political operative who beat veteran lawmaker Al Edwards by energetically exploiting his political weak spots.

Miles, 40, represents a new generation of black Democratic elected officials in Houston.

He first considered challenging Edwards four years ago. Last June, Miles drove to Austin to meet with the legislator, but ended up waiting in his office for hours. Edwards refused to meet with him, Miles said, and that was when he decided to run.

"He asked if I could stand down and give him one more term," Miles said of a later conversation with Edwards. "But I had to do it. It was just my time."

Although he faces a Libertarian opponent in the Nov. 7 general election, Miles is the strong favorite to assume the District 146 seat next January.

First on his list for the district, which includes the Third Ward and Sunnyside, is setting up a functional district office instead of one he said Edwards maintains with an answering machine.

Miles admits he can be ostentatious, sporting custom-made suits and Gucci shoes. He threw his 40th birthday party at the Rice Lofts last year, where the theme was "Fantastic Voyage" and the group Lakeside performed its classic song.

But he also used that charm on the campaign trail, gaining votes by serving people breakfast in an apron at community forums.

Edwards, first elected in 1978, is best known for making Juneteenth a state holiday.

"Al Edwards' style and work was fine for another era," said state Rep. Garnet Coleman, who has had differences with Edwards for several years and supported Miles. "And at that time, he had the interest and needs of folks in poor conditions. At the end, he was voting (Republican House Speaker) Tom Craddick's interests and that's the disconnect. He betrayed whatever principles he had previously in protecting people's civil rights."

That Edwards drew two credible challengers was a sign that he was in trouble, Coleman said. Lawyer Al Bennett placed third in the March Democratic Primary.

Roots in the district

In a district where roots are important, Miles let it be known that he was homegrown. He grew up in Sunnyside and is a lifelong resident of the district.

Miles attended Yates High School and graduated from the Houston High School for Law Enforcement, then earned a degree in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University.

In 1996 Miles started his one-man insurance agency operation in his garage apartment. He has since purchased and renovated two city blocks on Almeda, where he leases space to seven other businesses.

Miles has been laying the groundwork for this run for years. He has been active in several civic organizations, among them the Urban League, United Negro College Fund and 100 Black Men of Houston.

And he's been active in the politics for the past two decades, contributing on both sides of the aisle. Miles gave Democratic state Rep. Sylvester Turner several thousand in his 2003 mayoral campaign. He donated $2,500 to Republican Gov. Rick Perry in 2004 and $2,100 to Republican U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison last year.

Miles also drove Turner around town during his 1991 mayoral race. Yet Turner backed Edwards' candidacy.

Miles sought new support

Edwards had the support of some Democratic establishment stalwarts, including U.S. Reps. Al Green and Sheila Jackson Lee and the Rev. William Lawson, pastor emeritus of Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church.

But Lawson's wife, Audrey, and current Wheeler Avenue pastor Marcus Cosby, backed Morris' campaign.

That's how Miles garnered support, aiming for those who weren't obligated to Edwards because of past ties and relationships.

Most of Houston's Democratic state House delegation backed Miles' candidacy, including Coleman and state Reps. Alma Allen, Jessica Farrar, Ana Hernandez and Rick Noriega.

Craig Washington, a former state representative, senator and congressman who represented parts of District 146 in each job but who has kept a low profile since losing his U.S. House seat to Jackson Lee in 1994, emerged to endorse Miles.

"I've stayed out of elections because I returned to being a voter and consider myself a bystander," Washington said. "But I felt compelled to get involved in this election when I saw a person who was not articulating and advocating on behalf of the people of the district. Representative Edwards lost the ability to be an effective leader."

It wasn't so much that he supported Miles, but that he opposed Edwards, Washington said. "I would have supported whoever was in the runoff," Washington said. "It's time for a fresh voice to put a fresh horse on the track."

Backed by Blackdems
    Miles also tapped into new political organizations, like the Blackdems, which formed last year. The organization's members contributed more than 500 volunteer hours to Miles' campaign — supervising field operations, collaborating in finance and fundraising activities and staffing Miles' campaign headquarters.

The people who signed onto his campaign are the political laborers of the community, Miles said. "We shared a common agenda. They are in the trenches. These are the working politicians, not the people who sit high and look low. They are actively involved," Miles said.

Coleman says Miles is successful because of his work ethic.

"He demonstrated that he's a hard worker," Coleman said. "He has a tenacity and vigilance that's needed for the district and on the floor of the House."

#1 pgabriel, Apr 13, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

As a constituent, I can tell you that IMHO, Al Edwards time had come and gone.

When the man's most important piece of legislation last year was one that dealt with Cheerleader routines, I believe that most of us in District 146 knew it was time for a change, and I for one am glad that the change took place.

Al Edwards has a great legacy, but you cannot legislate on legacy alone.

Borris Miles will be a much better State Rep for 146 than Al Edwards has been in the last five years.

3. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I saw his interview with Channel 2 the other night. Sounds like his head is in the right place. We need more like him.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I love that song. Lucky b*stard.