1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron Blog] Rockets 'progress' needs a closer look

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Mar 27, 2007.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I guess this here blog is a semi challenge by the Houston Chronicle writer (or maybe he just really needed to fill up some world wide web space in his blog for the boss man). There is an opportunity for any Clutchfans homies to add a comment/feedback on this blog article at bottom of his linked thread if you have something you want to contribute.

Rockets' 'progress' needs a closer look
    -King Solomon's Mind-
    A sports blog with Jerome Solomon
    March 27, 2007

[​IMG]
    Picture Teaser To Introduce Blog/ Overview:
    A closer look — What's wrong with this town? Has the Astros' recent success led to ambivalence with the non-winners in other major sports?

OK, it's official: The Rockets are in the playoffs. So?

Well, it's not like the Rockets were around in the postseason a year ago, so maybe there is some cause for celebration. It is easy to forget the Rockets went 34-48 a year ago, including a lousy 15-26 record at "home."

So this year's 45-26 mark shows significant progress. Perhaps the city should have a parade. Yes, I'm kidding.

What's wrong with this town? Has the Astros' success -- they finally won a National League pennant I hear -- led to ambivalence with the non-winners in other major sports?

Let's not even talk about the sold-out-every-game-in-their-entire-history Texans. With the NBA playoffs on the horizon, it seems many fans are resigned to the fact the Rockets are not championship contenders.

Some don't seem to be bothered that most third-graders were not even born the last time the Rockets won a playoff series.

Or that the last time the Rockets won a playoff series, Clyde Drexler thought the pasodoble was the Spanish translation for "pass it to double-deuce."

We're talking May 1997, when Mr. Twinkle Toes on Dancing With the Stars scored 24 points to lead the Rockets past Seattle in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals.

Some of you don't seem to be bothered that at least three Western Conference teams are better than your Rockets. As for next year, disregard top dogs Dallas and Phoenix, and it takes the most optimistic Rockets fan to even envision catching the third-place Spurs.

This year's "progress" is somewhat artificial. Let's say -- starting tonight at Los Angeles against the Clippers -- the Rockets pick up seven wins in their last 11 games. That 52-win season would mean an 18-game improvement on last season.

Hold the confetti.

Those who believe Jeff Van Gundy is doing a wonderful job ask that last season be stricken from the record books because of injuries to Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. Well, if we do that, this year's 52-win projection would represent a whopping one-game improvement over the 2004-05 season.

That modest improvement has come while Dallas and Phoenix have gotten much better and the Spurs haven't slipped enough for the Rockets to catch them.

A couple of those teams will have to be usurped for the Rockets to contend for a championship. The Rockets, as configured, aren't capable of doing that.

And if they face Utah in the first round and come up short, there would be four teams in the Western Conference that are better now and likely would be better next year.

But what about how well the team played without Yao for 30 games? What about it? Great job. How much better would they have been with him?

You do the math. The Rockets went 20-13 in Yao's absence, and are 25-13 with him. They are where they are because they are what they are.

If the Rockets are a first-round playoff victim -- one and done as they say -- will it be time for Jeff Van Gundy to be Jeff Van Done-dy?

No coach in Rockets history has lasted four full seasons without a playoff series victory. (Rudy Tomjanovich ended on a six-year drought, but he earned a pass with his role in the creation of Clutch City.)

Just as dial-up isn't fast enough anymore, five-year plans aren't fast enough in pro sports. Van Gundy is in Year 4 of a plan to do what?

Win a playoff series? Not yet done.

Compete for a division crown? Not yet done.

Trade the team's future for a competent veteran who can help the team finish with the fifth-best record in the conference and again not win a playoff series? Well on the way to being accomplished.

But isn't it supposed to be about the economy, uh, the championship, stupid?

"I think the only goal that is worthwhile in this league is to pursue a championship," Van Gundy says in the Rockets' media guide.

Perhaps realizing the ridiculous pressure accompanying that statement, he went on to clear it up.

"You may not reach that goal every year, obviously, but you need to strive each year to be a championship-caliber team with championship-caliber players. That is what we're trying to do here -- like they have in the past," Van Gundy said.

Championship-caliber teams win first-round playoff series, don't they? At least they did in the past.

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2007/03/rockets_progress_needs_a_close.html#comments

_______________________________________________________________________________________
    FYI: Solomon's other recent blog related to the playoff bound Rockets squad allows you to contribute with a reply if you want to address his blog (since newest one has a dead link every now and then).
    http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2007/03/if_rockets_are_oneanddone_jeff_1.html#comments

#1 ron413, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Hehe that's a new one I haven't heard before. Must remember that one. ;)

3. ham

ham Member

Great. Now there's another dumb play on Van Gundy's name to be posted ad nauseum in every thread.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i believe in in jvg come playoff time he turns up his intensity. i will say this that every team coached by jvg has more than held their own against superior teams and gave them everything. The two rocket teams, the first one lost to the 4 hof lineup lakers in 4 games, one being by a single point, another game in OT where yao was jobbed with bad calls. Everyone and their mother did not think the series would go past four and that the lakers would be able to sweep walk (pardon the pun) into the second round.

the next year they take a extremely talented mavs team to 7 games, a series where the rockets were heavily outmatched, heck they had bowen and padgett as the starting pf. while a few bad calls and missed free throws and lack of talent finally caught up to the rockets even i thought if they were able to take the mavs to 6 games it would have been a huge success.

even his knicks teams were quite successful despite marginal talent in the east.

i will say this, this is the first team where jvg has the talent to succeed and that if he doesnt make it out of the first round then maybe les should look for another coach, BUT only if a better one is available.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Wow, this guy seriously symbolizes the pessimism that exudes from most Houston sports fans.

The team has had a great season. So what if a 52-win season is only one better than 2 freaking years ago. The West is much better now than it was then with having 3 LEGIT divisional winners (instead of Denver winning by default with every other team being crap) and 3 teams that are elite contenders (from 1 team then - San Antonio).

The Rockets have 12 games left and this guy is already writing them off in the first round? Give me a break!

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

this guy is r****ded....

but then again, you need something to write about..

I can sum up what he said in 4 words and a contraction

It's All Depends on Mcgrady.

7. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

hahah.. i sound r****ded... ignore the depends.

8. Dei

Dei Member

Seems somebody's still sour about the Gay-Battier trade.

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

My comments on the blog:

One game improvement from 04-05? Who cares (BTW yao seem to forget Yao missed 32 games and has had to regain his MVP form, lets see what happens to your precious spurs sans duncan for 32, and the same with 32 Nashless Sun's games). I don't care about the record with him and the record without him. Fact is, everyone knows it does not matter whether yao win 45 games or 72 games......it's who is hot right now.....Ever hear of the Heat *rolls eyes*
    Yao sound like a cousin to Charles Barkley...a well known rocket hater....I bet yao thought Yao Ming was a glorified S. Bradley too **rolling eyes repeatedly**

See Yao-later.

10. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Home slice does make some good points though.

Think about it. If you were told 4 years ago that Gundy would:

1. Still not of won even one playoff series
    2. Get Yao peaking and Pick up Tracy McGrady and still not even win a playoff series.
    3. Trade the future of this team (Yes Gay was a future pick as opposed to the here and now in Battier to be possibly the 5th seed.
    4. Have issues with all our FA signings in Derek Anderson, Stromile Swift, and Bonzi Wells.

Would you want him on board? Seriously what has this guy done besides not win a playoff series to earn as much respect as he has from the Rockets faithful. I mean, I dont hate Gundy by any stretch. I like his D, I like his edge, but really what has Gundy done? Yes he has had injuries, but he has also had two of the biggest stars at their positions, and some pretty flexible bosses willing to pick up some big FA's. I dont care what you have to say about Stro, DA, or Bonzi. They were all, at the time, huge pick ups. To me its up to the coach to get them motivated and involved.

11. rocketshopeful

I defend JVG alot, but u bring some good points. My only counter is, that although he has had 2 of the biggest stars at their position, he has rarely had them healthy enough to develop the chemistry between the two. But nevertheless, you do make a good argument for him for me to alteast question wheter he should be back.

Think about this, this is Phil Jacksons third year. If LA has another 1st round exit, what has he done in his new stint with the lakers? i am talking about this laker squad only, post-shaq.

12. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

he took a $100,000 fine 2 years ago. this earned him a free pass, and rightly so.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

14. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

haha! yeah, that was a brilliant line in his article. all that article did was make fans angry. eh, maybe that was his intention. whatver the case, i still think solomon's a tool.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good article !!!

DD

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I listen to Jerome most afternoons, and the guy doesn't know basketball. He acts like winning a 1st round series in the West is equal to making the playoffs in the National League. He's got the shortest leash on coaches ever. If a coach has two bad years in a row, he wants to get rid of them. His show is generally entertaining, but in an effort to be a "non-biased" journalist, he always runs down the Rockets.

17. yaominn

yaominn Member

jvg inherited alot bad contracts, it limited what you could do. I think finally rox can say we do not have alot bad contracts.

18. aamir

aamir Member

A 1 game improvement... assuming they play every game the rest of the way, T-Mac plays 5 less games than he did in '04-'05, and Yao plays 30 less games in the season than he did in '04-'05, and we improve our record by one year. Thirty-five less games of T-Mac and Yao playing better ball (combined) than they were in '04-'05, and we improve our record.

Terrible. :rolleyes: Some people are just too pessimistic.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed. I've mostly tuned that show out until the NBA season is over. You can tell he is weak on basketball. With CP on AM790, ESPN97.5 in the late afternoon is a waste of time for this Rockets fan. I agree the show is entertaining, like the interview with Mack Brown, but it's the exception.

Those guys have potential but they ain't there yet.

20. aamir

aamir Member

Can't edit, but that should say "we improve our record by one game"