1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Big Step- Yao scores six points, pulls down four rebounds in Rockets dubut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Oct 24, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1631015

Oct. 23, 2002, 11:07PM

BigStepYao scores six points, pulls down four rebounds in Rockets debut
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

SAN ANTONIO -- Patient analysis will come later. In the breathless, manic, frantic spirit of Yao Ming's new life, the first game in his NBA adventure can be summed in 13 seconds.

He was celebrated and clobbered. He got up, he scored, and he was a compelling figure with ever step.

There was a buzz and then the roar of the crowd -- a road crowd that never has been known to cheer for a member of the Rockets -- when Yao took his first steps toward the court.

In keeping with the past four months, there was confusion about when Yao would go in, officially marking the start of his NBA playing career.

And when he finally entered Wednesday night's preseason game before 16,857 at the Spurs' SBC Center, there was a cut to the hoop, a hard foul by Tim Duncan that sent Yao sprawling and, with his adrenaline pumping so hard he could barely breathe, his first points -- all coming in a rush of 13 seconds.

Welcome to the NBA, Yao Ming. May every 13 seconds be so eventful.

In his five-minute run through the second quarter, Yao was knocked onto his backside twice. He inspired veteran David Robinson to turn away one short shot rather than challenge 7 1/2 feet of shot-blocker looming in his path. He dropped in a smooth seven-foot fadeaway over Robinson's reach.

And a quick spin move toward the baseline ended with a finger roll and a tip follow. Both rolled out.

The first half of Yao's brief initiation ended when he picked up his third foul in five minutes. He pushed Robinson battling for position and got a piece of Stephen Jackson on a drive. Ythe foul that forced him to the bench came when Robinson became the first to pull a veteran trick, hooking Yao's left arm in the low block, then falling away when Yao freed himself, making it appear as if Yao had pushed him away.

The Rockets led most of the way, only to be overtaken in the fourth quarter of an 80-79 loss to the Spurs. But if it was Yao's night, much of the game belonged to Eddie Griffin, last season's rookie prodigy, who finished with 14 points and seven blocked shots.

But the Spurs' Stephen Jackson scored nine fourth-quarter points, including two on a spectacular dunk over Yao and the game winner on a follow that gave the Spurs a four-point lead with 14.2 seconds left.

Tim Duncan had 27 points in 33 minutes, sitting all but one minute of the fourth quarter. Cuttino Mobley led the Rockets with 18.

Yao made one of five shots for six points, with four rebounds in 13 minutes.

But the night was so much about Yao's debut that when Rockets centers picked up fouls, heads immediately turned toward the Rockets bench to see if Yao would get the call.

Yao's second stint began 50 seconds into the fourth quarter. Just a bit excited, he began that stretch with a blatant lane violation. Flustered for a moment by a double team, he tried a labored turnaround that Robinson easily swatted.

Knocked to the floor again a few minutes later, Yao got up to hit two more free throws. He missed a jumper in the lane and blocked a shot on an Erick Barkley drive, his only block of the night.

By the time the second quarter began, Yao moved up the Rockets bench to sit next to assistant coach Jim Boylen, with interpreter Colin Pine leaning in between them, for a final crash course.

He checked into the game 2:20 into the second quarter and left with four points, two rebounds and a 10-point Rockets lead.

Long before he was sent into the game, he had a clear sense of the moment.

"I am (nervous) because I face a lot of people," he said. "A lot of people come to watch the game.

Told that many came to see him, Yao smiled and said, "Maybe, maybe not."

He also fielded the now routine array of questions no other NBA player faces.

Asked, as he has been daily, if he has sampled American cuisine, Yao played along and said, "I had steak. That's why I came to Texas."

He clearly was going for the laugh, if only because he lunched on pizza.

But he also showed a sense of the occasion.

"I'm very excited," he said Wednesday morning. "My dream starts here."

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1630986

Oct. 23, 2002, 11:08PM

-Rockets summary-

Cover boy

Rockets fans still might be bitter that the team did not earn the Sports Illustrated cover when the Rockets claimed the 1994 NBA championship, but with Yao Ming's arrival, that measure of respect -- or at least acclaim -- is trending upward.

Yao Ming has been in town for only days, but he is featured on the cover of the magazine's NBA preview issue this week.

The photograph, featuring Yao displaying his wingspan, was shot by the NBA in Indianapolis, Ind., in August. It is the first time the Rockets have been on the Sports Illustrated cover since Scottie Pippen joined the Rockets in 1999.

Taylor hurt

The Rockets' supply of forwards grew even thinner in Wednesday's second half when Maurice Taylor was forced to leave the game when he felt pain in the right ankle that has bothered him since training camp.

The Rockets already were without Terence Morris (sprained ankle), Glen Rice (flu) and Kenny Thomas (broken thumb.)

They also were without guards Moochie Norris (dislocated finger) and Pete Mickeal (sore foot).

The Spurs' Tony Parker went out with a cut that required nine stitches.

Still up in air

Apparently, when people grow to 7 1/2 feet tall, it's difficult to tell just how tall they really are. After measuring Yao Ming in Chicago, the NBA came up with 7-foot-5 and listed him that way in their draft material.

Because he was a touch taller than 7-5 when barefoot, and cleared 7-6 in basketball shoes, the Rockets decided on draft day that he would be listed as 7-6 -- and has been in Rockets' releases and publicity since then.

Wednesday's rosters, however, listed Yao as 7-5

The Rockets expect a definitive answer this week when strength and conditioning coach Anthony Falsone gets a chance to just how far up Yao measures up.

Mixed reviews

The Rockets were less than impressed with SBC Center, the Spurs' new arena.

Choosing his words carefully, Rockets guard Steve Francis said, "It's all right."

"There's a lot of space in here," Francis said. "It still has that same vibe as the Alamodome. It's pretty wide open. It's pretty decent."

Coach Rudy Tomjanovich offered the slightly more positive spin that the new building reminded him of an old building. By removing the pastel paint brush look from the logo, Tomjanovich said the arena reminded him of the Hemisfair Arena.

"I love the colors," Tomjanovich said. "This brings back a lot of memories. I think of the Iceman (George Gervin) and big Billy Paultz, which is not a real good thought."

Cato's view

Rockets center Kelvin Cato said Yao Ming should bring the Rockets more balanced scoring. He said he did not think anyone would have a problem giving up shots to get the ball to a center the Rockets have not seen since Hakeem Olajuwon was in town.

"Everybody wants to win," Cato said. "This is the first time since I've been here that everybody on the team is more involved in winning than personal stats.

"We've been here too long not to win. We've been here four years. I don't think we'll make a fifth year if we don't make the playoffs. I think they'll break this team up. Yao and Steve (Francis) and Cat (Cuttino Mobley) will be here, so everybody will have to pitch in."

Spurs await center

Even before Wednesday's game began, the Rockets had already outscored the Spurs 1-0 -- in Chinese centers.

Yao Ming arrived on Sunday and made his NBA debut. Mengke Bateer has been unable to secure a visa to travel from China so as to join the Spurs. Acquired from Detroit for a second-round pick, Bateer is not expected to arrive in San Antonio until late next week.

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

3. B

B Contributing Member

I bet the translation was lost. I think he meant to say "Maybe, maybe no". I'm sure he's checked out clutchcity.net a few times.

B

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know it's coming from Cato's mouth, but... interesting.