1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Battier may play four spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manila, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Manila

Manila Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4244833.html

Oct. 9, 2006, 12:58AM
    Battier may play four spot
    Versatile Rocket could be answer at power forward

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

So often lauded for his ability to offer any answer with uncommon grace, Shane Battier artfully talked without saying anything.

He often had been said to be as verbally agile as any politician, which is not really accurate because it's been awhile since politicians were so well-spoken. But when asked a simple question — will he be a power forward with the Rockets? — he did his best to duck.

"I run through everything," he said. "Every play I try to rotate between the power forward and small forward positions. You have to understand, the wings are interchangeable. There's really four positions I'm trying to learn in a short period."

That offered nothing definitive, but there are other clues available. After practice when the team goes off to shooting drills, the centers and power forwards usually head to one end, while the perimeter players take the other. Easy.

That failed, too. After training camp practices, with 14 rims in Cooley Pavilion in Austin, Battier and most players shot alone.

"That won't work," he said.

There are plays to learn. Surely he is spending his time primarily at one position or another.

"We haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm all over," Battier said. "I don't think I'll be nailed down this year."

By now laughing along at his verbal dexterity, he was tough to nail down on any answer about playing power forward.

"You got me," he said when called on his subterfuge. "I've never been one to be defined."

But then, a clue emerged.

When speaking of the value of perimeter shooting, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said, "That's why I like Battier at the four, I do."

That might not be terribly definitive. Liking Battier at the four, even playing him there, does not mean he will play power forward exclusively. But it is a strong indication Battier will see significant time at power forward with the Rockets, rather than his customary spot at small forward.

A bit of clarity
    Finally, Battier, 6-8, could not help himself and offered a fairly clear answer.

"I played a lot of power forward for the U.S. team," Battier said of his significant role with the USA Basketball entry at the World Championship in Japan. "Although I was used in spots at power forward for Memphis, I think I will be used a lot more here. It's confidence from playing the four spot internationally and then here."

In Memphis, he shifted to power forward down the stretch of close games. He gave the Grizzlies a perimeter shooting threat to help space the floor for Pau Gasol. With the Rockets, Yao Ming demands double teams inside; Tracy McGrady draws defensive help on the perimeter, making shooting range, especially at power forward, especially valuable.

"I've made a career of playing off Pau Gasol so far," Battier said. "I was always the guy in the weakside corner, so when they were double-teaming the post or they kicked it out, I shot a pretty good percentage for my career."

Battier has made 45.4 percent of his shots in his five-season career and 38.1 percent of his 3s. But last season, he was up to 48.8 percent shooting.

Still, the position he plays will be defined by defense as much as offense, and at power forward he would have to go against the elite Western Conference power forwards — Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand, Dirk Nowitzki and Amare Stoudemire.

But Battier has become regarded as a top defender not because of great quickness or strength, but by using technique and tenacity, the only formula with much of a chance against the top power forwards.

"I'm not the biggest or fastest guy in the world, but once I figure out what I have to do, I find a way to get it done," Battier said. "That's all that matters."

When Battier is not matched up with the best power forwards, there also could be time at the position against small forwards now playing power spots, another sign of the position he will play.

Going small
    "Just talking to the guys, last year they struggled sometimes guarding the smaller teams in the league, teams like Phoenix that play up and down, a fast-break pace; teams like Seattle, a smaller team," Battier said. "Basically, every team has a smaller lineup. That's probably part of the reason they made the trade for me. I'll be thrust into that role this year."

All that said, in some ways it won't matter what position Battier plays, he plans to play either forward spot roughly the same, which he said is why he does not like to define himself by a position, or much of anything else. Instead, he said he wants only to do what's needed.

"This is still Yao's and Tracy's team," Battier said. "I think they brought me in to complement them and do what I've done the last five years of my career — play hard every single night, play smart basketball and make winning basketball plays."

But for now, that sounds like a power forward.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. GKlutz

GKlutz Member

I have to say that if he play sf, his deal is not bad. But if he play PF, then SS+GAY>>Battier

3. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

does not compute. he can handle a pf as well or better than stro. don't believe gay is known for his stifling defense. i think bat will do just fine.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

5. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

Battier at the four worries me no more than Horry at the four did. I think it's going to work, guys. Take a deep breath and let go of GayStro. It'll be OK :p

6. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

wait and see what his performance at 4!

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I actually have a lot of confidence in Battier at the 4. i think he will do well against most 4's. The only thing that i do not like about battier at the 4 is that in that case he cannot defend the opponents best perimeter player. But snyder or wells will have to do that then.

8. MystikArkitect

At face value, Battier >>> SS/Gay. A proven tough as grits defender against a proven lazy, no basketball IQ waste of talent and an unproven questionable rookie? I hated this deal at first, but lets face it, Swift had the raw basketball skills of a dead possum. I didn't hear Dime magazine screaming about the performance of Gay in the summer league as much as I did Roy/Foye either. The way Gay was labeled in his college years made him sound like a small forward version of Stromile. Explosive at times, but hidden when you needed it. Guess we'll see.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Even if Battier plays the 4 guys like Garnett and Dirk prefer more of a perimeter game. Against teams like S.A., Pho and Clipps Yao would probably be the one guarding Duncan, Amare and Brand. Yao is clearly the teams best low post defender and all of those players like to play in the paint.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Better that JHo, IMO ;)

11. Nero

Nero Member

The only real question which needs answering, vis-a-vis Battier at the 4, is:

Is the mismatch created by his abilities at that spot greater than whatever mismatch may exist for another team against us because he is there?

In other words, even if he is not seven feet tall and the world's best banger down low, is he still a net positive from the position? And they are not playing one-on-one here either. The question needs to be asked taking into consideration the fact that Yao is in there as well as TMac and Bonzi.

Personally, I have faith that his high hoops IQ will more than compensate defensively against slightly larger 4's in the league, and so that alleged 'deficiency' will not really be a problem. That leaves only positives - passing, shooting, and high levels of energy and hustle.

I think the mismatch is greater in our favor. (As opposed to, say, Stro, who was never criticized as NOT being able to be a 4, but who yet became a net negative while on the floor, simply because a bag of squirrels could have done a better job of knowing where to be and what to do on a basketball court).

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Wow, you can make the judgement without even seeing a game yet. Pretty impressive.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Better hope you don't get sexed for saying that... :p

Count me in the "Battier at the 4 is a great idea" crowd. First of all, he's really 6'9 (check his pre-draft measurements, and photos next to T-Mac). Secondly, he's certainly a better defender than JHo. Thirdly, he isn't incompetent (Swift). Fourthly, we won our two championships with another 3-turned-4. It can work again. In fact, I think the Rockets would've been stupid to pass on the opportunity to have 4 perimeter threats around Yao in the starting lineup. It's going to open up the floor tremendously.

I hope Battier primarily plays the 4 this year. T-Mac, Bonzi, Snyder, and Head can easily take all the minutes at the swing spots.

14. Drexlerfan22

I gather you'd like to ban all court-related discussion until 10 games into the season? Are people not allowed to give their opinions/guesses/feelings about the team? Fine messageboard this is... :rolleyes:

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What an amazing revelation by the crack Chronicle sports department. Haven't we been saying this would happen for 3 months now?

In other news, the Houston Chronicle has learned that the Texans will draft Mario Williams with the first pick in the 2006 draft.

16. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Battier:
    First, I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED that Battier used improper grammar. Plural, Shane, plural! :p

Next, FOUR positions? We know he can guard the 2, 3, and 4. What other position is he trying to learn? PG? C?

17. optAmystic

optAmystic New Member

We did win championships with another 3 turned 4. But this one is better. Robert, who I refer to as "Snorry" usually doesn't show up until the playoffs. Battier works harder and plays grittier. He may prove to be a hybrid of Snorry & Elli.

18. Drexlerfan22

In my estimation, he's saying that there's Yao at center, and the other 4 positions are almost interchangeable, for all intensive purposes. Don't know if I agree with that, but I think that's what he's saying.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

horry was playing next to hakeem, which on defense even though horry is a light weight was pretty stout factoring in shot blocking.

20. Guru

Guru Member

Ok, my mind is going blank. Why Snorry? I have a feeling i'm going to regret asking this question. :confused: