1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]Barry's transition goes as smooth as possible

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by barryxzz, Mar 3, 2006.

1. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

March 2, 2006, 10:34PM
    ON PRO BASKETBALL
    Barry's transition goes as smooth as possible

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Kiki Vandeweghe, the general manager of the Denver Nuggets, called minutes after Jon Barry was waived. George Karl, the Nuggets' coach, called the next morning.

Friends offered kind words. Teammates fought back tears (not really, but they were sorry to see him go).

Then Barry sat down with his boys, 7-year-old Tyler and 5-year-old Eli, to tell them their dad was thinking about ending his basketball career, planning to make them understand this disappointing news.

Barry knows how cool it can be to have a dad in the NBA, having served as a ball boy with Rick Barry's Warriors and Rockets. But he was way off on this one.

"When I told my kids I wasn't playing anymore, they were excited," Barry said. "They thought it was great. I thought they would be upset. They were excited because it meant I would be home."

Barry has not officially ended his career. If he had to make a decision Thursday, he said he would retire. He liked the idea of extending his career with the Nuggets and waving that three-finger sign around Toyota Center tonight just for laughs, but increasingly, he has found staying home to be a better option.

That was always the plan. He went to Atlanta last season to wrap up his career in the town his family called home. The Hawks, however, were so awful, they decided to go with kids and eventually traded him to the Rockets.

That changed the plan. He enjoyed last season's run so much, he signed up for another season, moved the family to Houston and planned to make this season his last.

That all went wrong when Barry, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming filled their season with injuries. Barry, whose value to the Rockets was as a shooter in Yao's and McGrady's orbit, played only nine games with the Rockets' stars.

He played in just seven games since his first injury on Nov. 25. The first time he came back from his strained right calf, he struggled through three games, clearly not well. When he came back again Feb. 14, Jeff Van Gundy had little confidence in Barry's health and the Rockets had reached the part of the season when they had to go with their best-guess playing rotation.

Barry understood this. Van Gundy braced himself to bring bad news. Barry let him off easy.

"I don't know whether I could have helped them or not," Barry said. "They brought in Keith (Bogans). And with Luther (Head), they have to see what they have there. That's part of the deal. I went through that in Atlanta last year. They decided to go young. And I think Jeff, he didn't want to see me sit on bench the rest of my career watching the team fight to make the playoffs. He knew it ate me up inside to be sitting there watching every night. It was tough."

But it was not personal. Van Gundy's affection for Barry was clear, and Barry always understood Van Gundy.

"I told him he was my favorite coach," said Barry, who made nine stops in a 14-year NBA career. "His knowledge of the game is better than anybody I've ever been around. You've got to be a tough-skin guy. He's honest. He'll tell you as he sees it. But he's got a lot of respect."

With that in mind, Barry could choose to work for Van Gundy. There already has been talk about Barry working as a scout. He said he does not want to coach but would like to learn how to be a general manager.

Over the years, ESPN has shown interest. Barry said he would happily broadcast Rockets games if Clyde Drexler does not want to do a second season.

First, Barry must decide whether to end his playing career. He could give it a few more weeks. The lure of a last chance is strong and understandable.

He has, however, already decided to keep playing. Wednesday, after their little talk, Jon, Tyler and Eli shot together. The Rockets might even have a third generation of Barrys: Tyler and Eli are young and shoot well, qualities the Rockets need.

For now, Jon Barry is back where he started with the Rockets, happy to be a ball boy.

But for the first time this season, on Wednesday, he missed a Rockets game. He never turned on the television. Funny thing was, he didn't miss it.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

"Barry said he would happily broadcast Rockets games if Clyde Drexler does not want to do a second season."

That has to be the key sentence of this whole article

3. jm434

jm434 Contributing Member

great article! i really hope he stays in the rockets org!

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That was quick. Barry going with a subtle hint to Les. Goodbye Clyde, thanks for the memories.

5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Do we have to wait till the next season? Can't we just fire him now? I don't think I can stand him any longer. Clyde, I love you, but do some freaking commentary instead of just repeating what just happened, it's TV, we got eyes you know. "Here T-Mac turns around, pass his defender, and OHHHHHHHHHHH, nothing but the net", WTF man!

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Clyde's most famous line. You gotta laugh when he does it. Wonder if his wife has ever heard that one.

7. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

someone needs to start a petition on that one. fire clyde as soon as possible and bring in barry. that would be a very cool thing. :)

8. ergo

ergo Member

It would be awesome if Jon could be a commentator for the Rockets. His humor is badly needed to inject some life into Rockets' games.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'd love for Barry to do color for the Rockets. But I'd call that the second money quote.

For all the JVG bashing on this board, on the premise that he's too hard on the players to their detriment, every player that plays for him calls him the best coach they ever had -- even the ones that get cut by him. That, to me, is the money quote.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Who do we need to send e-mails and phone calls to so the Rockets know that Jon should be doing games with Bill??

11. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Honestly, why can't there be a transition period where BOTH Jon Barry and Clyde commentate. We'd have 3 guys doing Rox home games. Then if Clyde didn't want to continue next season, Barry could take the reigns permanently.

12. jaychi

jaychi Member

Thanks Jon Barry for playing your best as a Houston Rocket!

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No kidding, I can't believe no one is mentioning that. Well, yes I can.

If you believe what you read in this forum sometimes, you would think that JVG is SATAN and all of the players hate him. They all leave practice every day in tears calling their Mommies and wanting to come home. Oddly enough, that doesn't seem to be the case. Who would have thunk it??

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, all the role players love JVG....

DD

15. Summer Song Giver

Screw color man, I'd make Barry Assnt. Coach

16. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Can't we have 3 people? I don't wanna hurt Clyde's feelings...

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Nah, it's ok, he's used to getting fired and having short stints on jobs...it wouldn't be the first time :p

18. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I'm gonna miss him. I sure hope he retires as a Rocket.

19. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

How sweet would it be to see Barry next to JVG as asst coach in a nice suit throwing up the 3 signal and falling out of his chair onto the court on a monster t-mac dunk. :)

20. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I would love to see JBarry work as a shooting coach kind of like SA's guy working with TParker and others.