1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Bagwell to DL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Faos, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3747960.html

March 25, 2006, 9:35AM
    Bagwell headed to disabled list for season's start

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

KISSIMMEE, Fla. – Jeff Bagwell, the Astros’ all-time leader in home runs and RBIs, has accepted that his injured right shoulder will land him on the disabled list to start the season.

Bagwell, who is set to earn $17 million this year in the final season of his contract, will head to the disabled list, the Chronicle has learned from persons close to the Astros' ownership and Bagwell.

“I think this is just one of a whole bunch of sad days that have gone on since the World Series,” Bagwell’s longtime agent, Barry Axelrod, said via phone from Arizona. “It’s been just one of several sad days.”

Deeming him a disabled player, the Astros filed an insurance claim in January to recoup $15.6 million of Bagwell’s salary this year. For the Astros to recoup, Bagwell must remain on the disabled list all year.

An official announcement will likely be made soon at Osceola County Stadium, and Astros owner Drayton McLane already has arrived in camp this morning.

Bagwell, 37, was acquired by the Astros on Aug. 31, 1990, in a trade with the Boston Red Sox.

The next year, he was the National League Rookie of the Year. By 1994, he was the NL Player of the Year. A leader in the clubhouse, Bagwell gained respect throughout baseball for more than his franchise record 449 home runs and 1,529 RBIs. Knowing the franchise preferred he’d stay away, Bagwell arrived in camp hoping to see if he could still play.

Nonetheless for more than a week, Bagwell has made it clear he was at peace with the potential of never playing again. He vows to shift his focus to his wife Ericka and their two daughters, Bryce Alycia, 5, and Blake Alexia, 3.

A career .297 hitter, Bagwell missed 115 games while on the disabled list last year and finishing the season hitting .250 with four doubles and three home runs last year over 39 games.

He played his last game in the field last May 3 and landed on the disabled list a week later. He underwent capsular release surgery in his right shoulder in June and rushed his rehab to come off the disabled list in September.

Added to the postseason roster, Bagwell served as a pinch hitter in the Division Series and National League Championship Series before serving as the designated hitter in the first two games of the World Series.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I hope he doesn't stay on the disabled list for a long period of time and just retires as the Astros greatest player ever. At the begining of this saga, I was hoping for him to quit, but now that it looks like it is going to happen, it's really sad.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Damn....thats sad. I was really hoping Bags would be able to get through it and play this year.

4. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Good...We don't have to worry about Berkman playing outfield and maybe it keeps Willy playing. Preston and Willy in the OF is pretty strong! Not to mention Lane.

5. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

6. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I wish Baggy the best and hope that he is at peace with any decision he makes from here. Bagwell has provided me with a lifetime of memories.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Bagwell, like Hitman got a little screwed over by the owner, because of past success eventually catching up to where it makes no financial sense in the present...but the reality is it is over and hanging on any longer even for a full season doesn't prove anything...(not that I'm a Wrestling fan, but you kinda see some comparison...)

Bagwell, your legacy is where it needs to be...Time to spend time with the family.

8. trickywhiteguy

My heart tells me i want him to come back A.S.A.P and play every day for us.. But my brain tells me it is geting time for him to retire or even re-work his contract to more of a ph type contract.... I want baggy to stay he is my favorite player but it is geting to the point where his time has come... I wish baggy the best in his attempted come back.. Good Luck Baggs

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

really depressing

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How in the world did he get screwed over by Drayton?

11. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i don't see this ending well. i doubt he ever gets off that disabled list. thanks for the memories bags.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Bagwell is the best Astros ever but he needs to give it up. He is done.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He will have more surgery.

Jeff Bagwell will announce Saturday that he's going on the disabled list and will have surgery to remove bone spurs from his shoulder as "a last resort" to see if he can play again, his agent, Barry Axelrod, told ESPN.com Saturday morning.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2383575

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So I guess that person that stated that there will be a Bagwell announcement on Saturday knew what he was talking about. Its Saturday, and an announcement has been made.

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

on the plus side.. maybe sitting on the bench he can teach the young guys some stuff...

almost like having an extra coach with him around...

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I would say stick a fork in him...he's done. There's no way the Astros are going to let Bags attempt to play this season if he goes on the disabled list even if the surgery goes well. If they do, then they lose the insurance money. I think his only chance now if he really wants it is to try for next season with another ball club.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bagwell needs to get that shoulder fixed one more time so he can live the rest of his life pain free -- if that is even possible at this point.

Bags it's time to say goodbye. :(

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well Bagwell said he was gonna be completely honest with the organization...but it doesn't even look like he's being honest with himself. Having more surgery in a last ditch effort to play really sounds to me like he's done but can't quite come to terms with it. Then again if I were in his shoes I'd prob do the same thing as it's pretty damn hard to give up the things you love even when you know its time, so can't fault him for that. I hope he does decide to retire though. Sucks to go out this way but it'd be better than hanging onto the last shreds of your career and damaging your legacy.

19. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I agree with you completely except I can fault him. He's being selfish and needs to let go. The circus distraction (well, I guess right now it's just a sideshow) should end. It's good he and the Astros are talking about his continued involvement in the organization.

Jeff, be a team player and step aside. You were great for so many years. You missed the opportunity to go out on top after the Series. That would have been a superb sendoff. Show some class and hang it up right now. Have your last day in the Sun on Opening Day when the Stros honor you as the best player in franchise history.

20. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Thanks for giving us 15 great years Bags ... Here's to hoping you can stay with this organization in some capacity for the next 15 years.