1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Astros only team in all of MLB that..

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Ron from the G, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, you may be right. i suppose i just don't care.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TysjNDTWEBc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TysjNDTWEBc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you had the potato and a six pack when boston was in town, didn't you?

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Haha ...

Yeah people were looking at me funny as I was stuffing my sunflower seeds into my pocket going into Petco Park when I found out that we could bring it in. I honestly couldn't believe that they really let us bring food in after going to the Dome and MMP so often.

5. MadMax

what?? i missed that!!!! :)

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you could even personalize it...potato and a sixer of corona for you!

7. msn

msn Member

a lot of level-headed response in this thread. Refreshing.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

:D That's pretty funny. Over time, people will be able to easily identify Astros fans attending games in other cities.

I can see a little kid asking his father, "Daddy, why is that crazy man putting food down his pants?" with the father replying, "Don't stare at him, son. He must be an Astros fan."

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Maybe they don't keep ticket prices down, but I think you could make a fair argument that if the team allowed outside food and drink in, they may very well raise the ticket prices to offset loss in concession revenue, or at least use that as an excuse to do so.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

11th highest ticket prices

by uncle Drayton's logic we should have one of the lowest cost of tickets since we are the only stadium in which you can't bring anything in

http://teammarketing.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/Fan Cost Index/MLB/MLB FCI 09.pdf

11. MadMax

make it dos equus for the win! :)

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I just need more people to join me. If I can go buy a six pack for less than I'm getting charged for one, I always pass. $5 sounds far more acceptable. Maybe they should offer a happy hour. ;)

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

there's no defending this imo... and it's not like i'm super pissed about it, b/c as other have said i enjoy getting some chili cheese nachos and a beer (or 4) when i'm at the ballpark, but that doesn't excuse it at all. i mean, the ONLY team that doesn't allow some sort of outside concessions?? and to claim that it is b/c of "tradition" and that it helps keep ticket prices down (11th highest in baseball)?

it may not bother you or me, but there are people who this would probably make a significant difference to. nevermind the fact that their "reasoning" behind it is downright insulting.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thought this can go here

Aramark can loose booze license

The company that sells alcoholic beverages at Minute Maid Park could lose one of its state licenses at the stadium because of an incident last summer in which an allegedly drunken driver leaving an Astros game hit and killed a pedestrian.

Catering giant Aramark, which holds the ballpark’s concessions contract, faces an administrative hearing because of allegations that it sold or delivered alcohol to an intoxicated person, according to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. Cancellation of the permit is the standard penalty for a case this severe, said TABC Capt. Rick Cruz. A date for the hearing has not been set.

The possible permit revocation does not mean that the ballpark suddenly will go dry. Aramark has two licenses and only one is in jeopardy, the TABC said. The agency did not say which permit — beer or liquor — is involved. The two permits cover different parts of the ballpark and different types of beverages, the agency said.

Aramark declined to comment.

TABC spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said in cases of cancellation another owner or operator may be allowed to get a permit for the same location. Should Aramark lose one of its licenses, another vendor might be able to step in and acquire a permit, she said.

An Astros representative could not be reached for comment.

Cruz said the TABC investigation began in February. He would not reveal details of the probe, but prosecutors and police said it arose from the death of a Texas Department of Transportation worker, David Hall Jr., who was struck while working on a downtown Houston street on Aug. 30. Hall was assisting a cleanup crew in the left lane in the 100 block of Travis when authorities say Ray John Wilson veered around a TxDOT truck blocking the left lane and hit him.

Wilson, an Aramark employee, continued for about a quarter of a mile before he was stopped by a police officer in an unmarked car, authorities said. Police arrested him on suspicion of DWI, as well as failure to stop and render aid. Prosecutors said Wilson failed a field sobriety test and tested over the legal limit for alcohol. He faces trial in August on intoxication manslaughter charges.

“We definitely have reason to believe that he was given free drinks,” said Houston Police Department Officer Don Egdorf .

Egdorf said Wilson told officers he had not been working and had had only two drinks at the ballpark, but investigators said they believe he consumed more. Egdorf said Wilson admitted he was coming from the Astros game. The fatal crash happened minutes after he left the ballpark.

Hall’s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Wilson. Aramark has not been named a defendant, but proceedings have been halted pending the outcome of the criminal case.

Brian Rogers and Mike Glenn contributed to this report.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i remember the pre 9/11 days. we'd always tried to bring a chick to the game with us who would lug a huge totebag full of alcohol. there was no bag checking back then. awe, the memories.

i'd pay an extra $5 bucks a ticket if it meant i didn't have to pay $5.50 for a freakin hotdog.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Hell, I sneak in stuff everywhere, movies, games, church...ok, maybe not church but c'mon...the man is trying to keep us down...

The Rangers let you bring crap, although, I only found out this year since living here almost 5 years...loser...

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm fine with it as long as the tickets are cheap. Who cares if you can bring in food to San Francisco's park when the tickets are at least twice as expensive as MMP.

18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

In San Diego, you can get $5 tickets to the game and this year you can get a $5 combo deal that has a hot dog, peanuts, popcorn, a cookie, and a drink. I think the food deal is because of the economy and the Padres suck, but still.

Have the Astros done anything like that this season?

P.S. I never really cared about the food bad at MMP because I always got my food in anyway

19. MadMax

I know they have a kids meal for $4...i think it's a hot dog, chips and a drink.

But look...this whole thread loses now with the Astros literally giving out 2 free tickets to every kid under 14 for every 1 ticket you buy at regular price. I understand how people who don't have kids don't care about that....but a huge group of the folks who go to games are now finding their kids get in for free all summer long. It's very difficult to beat that deal anywhere. Grab some fast food or eat at home before the game. They have a roof and a/c, so you can get by without buying a thing.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hmm would be nice to beable to bring your own food in, but like others have said.....if it keeps the ticket prices down, then who cares.

I usually still grab a hotdog, but I refuse to pay for their beer.

The only time when I drink at MMP is when we get a suite box from my gf's father. Then I'm all about the beers and Jack Daniels....and the buffet food...hmmmmm...