1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Astros interested in outfielder Gary Matthews Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Nov 3, 2006.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4309299.html

By BRIAN McTAGGART
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Add Texas Rangers All-Star center fielder Gary Matthews Jr. to the list of free agents who have drawn the interest of the Astros.

According to a baseball official, the Astros have contacted agent Scott Leventhal, who represents Matthews. Teams are permitted to contact free agents but can't begin negotiations until Nov. 12.

The San Francisco Giants and the Los Angeles Angels are reportedly also interested in the 32-year-old Matthews, who had a breakout season with Texas by hitting .313 with 19 homers and 79 RBIs while playing Gold Glove-caliber defense.

The Astros already have contacted the agents for sluggers Carlos Lee, Alfonso Soriano and Aramis Ramirez, among others.

Meanwhile, the Astros are interviewing candidates to fill some recently opened holes in their minor league staff.

Class AAA Round Rock hitting coach Harry Spilman, who served in a similar capacity with the Astros, and bench coach Spike Owen have decided not to return. Class AA Corpus Christi pitching coach Joe Slusarski also won't be back.

"The travel at the Triple-A level is ungodly, and Harry and Spike both get a little tired of it," Astros general manager Tim Purpura said.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

By the way, Gary lives in Houston in the offseason.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Even though I tend to be a Willy T apologist, I would love to see Gary in center. I do think this year was an aberation. He'll probably hit around .275 with 15-20 HR, 65+ RBI but also strike out around 90 times. Not bad but I wouldn't overpay just based on what he did this year.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Wow Matthews is 32 ! :eek:

I thought he was still a young prospect.

I'd take him but prefer a few other high dollar free agents out there.

5. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

At least this way well get double the homeruns - the ones he hits and the ones he doesn't rob from Mike Lamb in the 9th?

6. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wasn't he the guy with the catch of the year?....against us. :eek:

EDIT:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kzp6ny0rtAA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kzp6ny0rtAA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

he had a nice season..... his contract year.

he's a prospect the rangers have been talking about for years, and he finally got his break a couple years ago, and had a big year this year.

his D is pretty good, the catch was no fluke

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Matthews wont fit in.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lmao. i had no idea he was already 32. i don't know, he probably wants and will get more than he's worth. he doesn't have the consecutive years of success like soriano or lee so it's a bit risky. i'd certainly take him but it'd be settling in the long run.

11. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I'm ok with GM Jr. as a "plan B".....but he's not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 9th choice for a FA acquisition.

12. Howyalikemenow

Gary Matthews.... no thanks.

13. Buck Turgidson

If they trade Willy, GMJr would be a great replacement if the price is right.

14. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Guys he is black.

Uncle Drayton won't sign off on that.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Although I dont agree with it, I bet it is something the astros would do. i heard Purpura on the radio the other day and he said he thinks it would be better to bring in 2 or 3 B level players as opposed to on A level player. I think he thinks our offensive will turn around somehow and we dont need a big bad. He'll probably go for a level B player like he did last year with Preston Wilson

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

A Gary Matthews and Aramis Ramirez offseason would be real nice.

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i agree!

18. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I don't know if you were citing it as a negative or not, but 90 K's isn't bad at all anymore - looks to me like Gary's strikeouts per at-bat was about as good as any Astro's.

I think he'd be a good pickup based on his performance of the last several years. He looks to me from the stats like a #2 hitter, though, so he still wouldn't solve the leadoff "problem." But a switch-hitter who hits pretty well against both lefties and righties and is a good defensive CF is a useful player, and a great guy to have on your free-agent radar.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This guy would be a good value... switch hitter, good defense, good mix of average and power.

Comparing it to Preston Wilson is ludacris... we already knew Wilson was a strikeout machine, but we still expected decent power (which we never saw).

Saying the guy is "old" is also ridiculous... guys like Frank Thomas and Steve Finley ended up being really quality value players at a later age (albeit Thomas was just this past year). Obviously the guy won't be getting Beltran money... but he's definitely a step up over Willy Taveras in all facets of the game (wasn't neccessarily true with Wilson, where his replacement... Luke Scott... performed better).

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree. Doesn't look like a #1 hitter to me either. So, what do you do if he is in the lineup and Willy T is gone? Move Everett up to lead off???? :(