1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] : According to Feigen, Rockets will be in the Minnesota Summer League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, May 15, 2005.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow. Talk about a letdown... I knew they weren't going to be in the Long Beach league, but damn. Anyway, any fans in Minnesota? :D This is all assuming there's no lockout, of course :

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3182652
    (Excerpt below)
    --------------------------------------------------------

Tests of summer

There is a point guard who has blossomed ahead of schedule, but who remains an unknown commodity. There's a long, athletic power forward unlike any on the roster, but who is extremely raw. There will be a first-round draft pick to be taken too late to be a certainty, but too early and by a team too old to be ignored.

The Rockets will face decisions on the players acquired or drafted the past two seasons, guard Vassilis Spanoulis and forward Malik Badiane and the player to be taken in the first round next month. Those decisions could have a huge impact on the next decision in free agency.

With that in mind, the Rockets plan to go to an early summer league, beginning July 10 in Minneapolis. If Spanoulis looks ready to contribute next season, perhaps the Rockets will look more at frontcourt help in free agency. If a forward falls to them in the draft and the summer league indicates he is ready for rookie minutes, then that changes free-agency decisions. Even Badiane, if he seems like a valuable commodity, could change the Rockets' thinking about the length of a contract they offer.

"Certainly it's very important," Rockets vice president Dennis Lindsey said. "Malik's progress has been steady since we've retained his rights for two years. We want to see where his growth had taken him and where he needs to go. It's different for Vassilis. He's more mature. He's more polished. We'd need to see some areas we highlighted for Vassilis to improve upon.

"We want to see where he's addressed those in regards to our organization to be safer with the ball. His nature is to be an aggressive driver. At times he had turnovers because of that."

The Rockets will go to Minneapolis before the date when they can sign free agents.

It's a nice plan. And it could fall apart.

As valuable as summer leagues can be to any team, this summer it could be the first casualty of a lockout. With so little progress apparent — so much for that end-of-regular-season prediction — most expect at least some shutdown beginning July 1. The summer leagues could be the first to go.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Summer league play is better than nothing. I really want to see Spanoulis play.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Same here. If the boss man allows it and there's no lockout, I need to get up there.

4. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Well the way Padgett was talking (after the Rockets lost game 7) it sounds like a lockout is almost impossible to avoid.

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

A lockout might be the best thing for Yao Ming.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we have enough players for a summer league this year:

badman
    bowen
    draft pick
    spanouliss
    a few undrafted players and NBDL guys and we are ready for summer play!

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like their thinking. Try to get those guys in early to find out what they can do before Free Agency starts. Then we can decide whether we want to add another guard like Antonio Daniels or a PF like Donyell Marshall. Of course the draft and what that brings might also dictate our FA targets.

But it looks like that article answers the quesiton of the CBA needing to be resolved BEFORE the summer camps open.

I bet you anything it ISNT. I bet the NBA gets locked out until sometime in August/Sept. They just have no incentive to get the deal done now. There is no pressure of missing games in the summer. Sure there will be some public pressure but it wont be the same if teams are missing games etc.

I hate the fact that this lockout will disrupt the summer leagues and Free Agency. I mean those are two things fans that are salivating for NBA stuff during the summer LOVE to see happen.

If Spanoulis and Badiane dont make the team this year I hope they get sent down the our NBDL affiliated team (per the new CBA).

8. gucci888

I don't think Bowen is allowed to play, I think it is only for players in their 1st 2-3 seasons.

I would like to bring in James Thomas for workouts and summer league play though.

9. University Blue

The only free agent forward of value, for the money Houston can afford and willing to pay, is Chris Andersen. Andersen gives Houston the energy and weakside defense they are looking for in the second unit.

Portland is an interesting team. I can see Houston pursuing Ratliff to play alongside YM for one or two years while Houston finds/develops a young F.

University (4-Ward) Blue

10. gucci888

What about Marshall? I'm pretty sure the Rockets could get him for the MLE.

Don't forget that we can also do a sign and trade, we have some good expiring contracts that teams could be interested in.

Ratliff is an interesting player, a Yao/Ratliff combo would be impossible to penetrate on. But they would be too slow just like the Yao/Deke combo was. Also, Ratliff is injury prone and is set to make 11-12M for the next couple seasons. I wouldn't want Ratliff.

11. haven

haven Member

Is a lockout really that likely? The last lockout seemed to damage the NBA for a couple of seasons. Another one, so soon, would seem to deliver it a body blow. And I think the situation would be made even worse by hockey's lockout. Disaffection would be exponential.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think it is rather likely. But I DO think they will get things resolved before the start of the regular season. And really that is the KEY. I dont think there is much damage done publicly if they dont lose any regular season games.

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

from Deuce:
    Yeah, I'm suddenly really grateful for the NHL meltdown. And Deuce, you'd know better than I but if the likely lockout occurs could we should make sure Spanoulis and Badiane somehow make it to Westside and evaluate both.

I know those pick-up games aren't the same as the summer league, but the talent level that's usually here seems to be as good as anywhere else, so wouldn't that be beneficial? Of course, that presumes any of the guys would actually let them play.

14. gucci888

Did anyone see the interview w/ David Stern a couple days ago during the Sea/SA game?

Stern was saying how discussions have died down and how both sides can't seem to agree on anything. He also said w/ the way things are going, a lockout is probable.

I still feel pretty confident that they will get things done. I mean, seriously, if they haven't learned anything from the last lockout and the latest embarrassment of the NHL lockout, then we are really screwed.

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

Man I wish they broadcasted summer league games..on some local TV channel or something

It's good to hear Badiane has been progressing..and Spanoulis has been working on improving as well.

ANd we have a first round draft pick this season! LOL

And ALL STAR GAME.

16. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Could they still have the summer league without CBA obligated players?

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Summer leagues to my knowledge are independent of the NBA. Many have NBA teams playing in them, however. I always thought free agents could participate in the games even if they were locked out, although I'm not positive about that.

18. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

They did in the NFL back in the day, they made whole teams out whover wasn't in the players association.

Hey Dunk, looking forward to all those glowing reports on the German League Guy. Here's hoping they play.

19. droxford

droxford Member

I would think that the network s**theads would have figured out that there are NBA fans who would LOVE to see the summer league games and get a good look at the players. The NBA figured out that fans love to watch the draft day broadcast, but they're just too stupid to realize that there's an audience for the summer leagues.

20. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

They usually show a couple of games on ESPN 2, but it is almost always the other summer league and not the one the rocks played in previously.