1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Laettner suspended for drug violation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 13, 2004.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not necessarily the next person I would have expected to be busted...

[​IMG]

Associated Press
    NEW YORK -- Washington Wizards forward Christian Laettner was suspended for five games Tuesday for violating the NBA's drug policy.

The suspension, without pay, began with Tuesday night's home game against Houston.

Spokesman Tim Frank said the league would not comment on when the violation occurred or what substance was involved.

The 6-foot-11 Laettner was drafted out of Duke in 1992, selected by the Timberwolves with the third overall pick in the draft.

He is averaging 6.7 points and 5.3 rebounds for the Wizards (10-25), who are sixth in the seven-team Atlantic Division.

He also played for Minnesota, Atlanta, Detroit and Dallas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1707573

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Any Idea on which drug he used? and Is it illegal to use steroids in the NBA?

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I heard that he used to smoke a lot of weed back in college, a lot of those Duke guys from that era did.

4. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

<i>Not necessarily the next person I would have expected to be busted...</i>

Why not? No cornrows? Your insinuation totally sucks.

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The NBA is SO stupid. Leave drug enforcement to the pigs- I mean, cops. It's the National Basketball Association, not the National Anti-Drug League.

6. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

CM: "Uh, occifer, I'm innocent, I don't know who's bong this is, I thought it was a pen!s"

7. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

dang no edit. I meant "CL". :D

8. Summer Song Giver

not as much as yours

9. Summer Song Giver

Not as much as yours, how about eleven years of exiplirary service without even rumors of substance abuse aside from the one posted here about his days at Duke. Take the chip off your shoulder and lighten up. Had it been Jason Williams I doubt he would have made the comment.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks Summer Song Giver. That is exactly true. Just like I would definitely have made the same comment had it been David Robinson, Avery Johnson, Ray Allen, Michael Finley, Yao Ming or many others. People where I would not have been surprised would include Jason Williams, Rasheed Wallace, Eddie Griffin, among others.

Laettner has been in the league forever and had never been busted. Most of the guys get busted pretty early if they really smoke a lot, like Odom or Taylor did.

Funny how you exposed your way of thinking, ktheintz.

11. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Thank you.

There are enough BS, subversively racist posts on this site to tear apart, and SJC's was not one of them.

I expected L8 to get busted about as much as Jim Jackson or Tom Gugliotta.

12. red

red Contributing Member

im gonna light up in honor of laettner...

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

lol

Didn't Googs nearly kill himself with some drug?
    Some over the counter GNC thing

Anywhoo . .. I get ya point

Rocket River
    With a name like CHRISTIAN . . . . .

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

It's obvious that the only reason the Rockets beat the Wizards was because the Wizards didn't have Laettner. :D

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think Mo Taylor did also. ;)

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, it was GHB, which has since been made schedule 1 by the FDA, & he didn't actually almost kill himself. On of the side effects of taking too much is that you enter a state that basically resembles a coma, but in and of itself isn't dangerous, unless you're driving a car, or juggleing chainsaws or something.

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Some gov.-funded missive came on the tube last night that showed a HS team shooting around before practice. A coach walks in the gym and wordlessly hands a piece of paper to a tall stiff, le stiff reads it and leaves the gym.

The voiceover goes something like, "do you want to be the one who tells your team they can't win the championship because you decided to use drugs?"

And I couldn't help but scream, literally, "yeah, Late., you hairy b****! The Wiz be going all the way until you came around!"

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why not,

Laettner hasn't exactly been a model cititzen in the NBA, I think he had some problems with coaches. And the guy looks like a sixties hippie. I was totally not shocked.

19. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

"Who let all this riff-raff in the room.... there's one smoking a joint, another with spots ....if I had my way, I'd have all of you shot" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

:rolleyes: