1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CHRIS WEBBER

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Steve, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Remember chris webber sayin he would like to playi n NY or Houston houston has the money but NY doesnt but Ny has the "WINS" so how could we lure CHRIS to houston by Winning the 8th seed in the West and taking Sacramento out of the Playoffs i think we could do so because all the J Dubb provs what you all think??

------------------
    I dont have one but ..............................maybe later:)

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think you need to be on the lookout for the punctuation police. [​IMG]

Seriously though, I agree that to make a run at CWebb we need to make the playoffs this year, and show him that we are a team that can contend for a title with him here. A poor showing would definitely just about take Houston out of the picture for Webber, but if we could have a strong season and prove that we are one player away from a contending team, I think Chris would definitely consider coming here.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Second Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000965.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 04, 2000).]

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

As posted on my site (don't feel like writing it again...or is it just a plug for my page? [​IMG]):

Many Rocket fans have been getting excited about the possibility that Chris Webber, who will be a free agent next season, might be coming to Houston. Some have mentioned that he has expressed interest in coming to Houston if the Kings don't become a championship caliber team. In my opinion, it's going to be a long shot. Webber knows he's in a good situation and he's finally happy with his NBA career after unsuccessful stints with the Wizards and Warriors. For this to happen, the following things will have to take place:
    1) Horrible season for the Kings In other words, they don't make the playoffs. This will probably not happen, as the Kings have been an up and coming team that always seems to dwell on the sixth or seventh spot in the West. Webber seems satisfied with that.
    2) No to New York Webber has said that he prefers NY after Sacramento. So, if he somehow feels that Sacramento's not doing it for him, he might want to swing a move to the Big Apple
    3) No to Detroit The Pistons are hot for Webber, and remember...this is his himetown.

According to the Sacramento Bee, Webber has been denying the reports which mention his name in talks to New York and Detroit. Well, what do you expect him to say? He still wants to see how this season will pan out. If it doesn't, I see us as one of his options but were certainly not the frontrunners.
    I'm not trying to get negative, I simply feel that we need to consider the realistic options rather than permanently inking him into next year's starting lineup.

In addition to that, I contacted a webmaster who runs a very popular and trustworthy Kings site, who basically told me that all the talks involve NY or Detroit. Not Houston.
    Webber is a great player, but I think he sees us as a third or even fourth option right now.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited August 04, 2000).]

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If we were the 8th seed, we would have a hard time taking out Kings in the playoffs. That would mean they are the first seed and if they are the first seed I doubt Webber would want to leave Unless u get into second round and then that opens up a whole new can of worms

Cat punctuation is for sissys [​IMG]

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

5. Steve

Steve Member

i meant we take the 8th and SACRAMENTO dont make it so thell be out because of us ...now dont you feel crunchy

------------------
    I dont have one but ..............................maybe later:)

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

steve, it seems like u have what it takes to join the FUN Police.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Steve for Smeg?
    [​IMG]

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Man, now I've got this craving for Cheetohs...

Thanks a lot, Steve.

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

9. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

Ace, Chris Webber has made it clear that he has no desire to play in his hometown. Detroit is out of the question. If he is heading anywhere, it will be to a contender that is obviously in better shape than Sacramento. Let's face it, Detroit will be hurting for a couple years at least.

------------------

10. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Yeah, even though he did state that he was interested in Detroit I highly doubt he would ever consider going there.

Yet I think we don't have a real shot at getting him unless we can convince him we're the team with the youth, cap space, and future. As mentioned in another thread, we will have to get rid of some salary as so to be able to accomodate a guy like Webber.
    We have a chance to get him, but only if we do decently this coming season. Man, imagine having Webber, Cuttino, Francis, and Anderson on the same team!

I think we can be sure he will be leaving the Kings. The team was once an exciting team with a bright future, but they haven't really developed at all. Nick Anderson is not doing well (the man they traded in exchange for Abdul Wahad who is now quite decent), Jason Williams has had plenty of problems off the court and has been suspended for a few games, and the team seems to be getting no interest from other free agents or players as usual.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

11. Timing

Timing Member

I'd like to add one more thing to the list of things that need to happen and it's probably the MOST important. That is passing the arena deal. No free agent in their right mind will come play for a potential lame duck team.

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

One thing we have to remember, is that Webber may be our BEST option, but certainly not our only option. IMHO, our hopes of Webber coming here is like Orlando hoping for Duncan. Unless we have an absolute breakthrough season, I just can't see him coming to Houston.

Remember, we will have between 2 or 4 1st round picks in the 2001 Draft. Next year's PF crop is a helluva lot better than Etan Thomas, Moiso, et al. Here's a list of PF's from nbatalk.com:

Troy Murphy Notre Dame/
    An outstanding outside shooting big man who can also play inside. Better athlete than many give him credit for. Can rebound and block shots and has a good understanding of the game.

Zac Randolph Michigan State/
    Could be the country's top rebounding power forward as a freshman. Dominant in the postseason All-Star games as he was named MVP in the all three contests he played in. Was chosen for the Under 20 USA National team.

Tyson Chandler Compton (CA) Dominguez H.S./
    Athletic, wiry big man who runs the floor like a guard. Has expanded his offensive range, but has little low post game. Outstanding shotblocker who changes the dimension of game defensively. Needs to get much stronger and adjust to more physical style of play.

Eddy Curry South Holland (IL) Thornwood H.S./
    Has great strength and is difficult to move or defend in the low post. Needs to watch weight and improve his work ethic. Has great hands and a soft touch around the basket.

Kaspars Kambala UNLV
    Strong inside player with a variety of low post moves. Needs to expand his range and become a better passer. Not afraid of physical play.

Brian Scalabrine USC/
    Good inside player who has the ability to step outside and hit the perimeter shot. A hard worker who is a good passer.

I'll throw in T. Morris just for kicks

Terence Morris Maryland/
    Good all-around player who had a disappointing junior campaign. Needs to show that he wants to be "the man." Has a wide variety of offensive moves.

So, it is very possible for us to help ourselves via the draft. If we somehow got Troy Murphy, I don't think we'd have anything to worry about. We'd have an excellent mix of stars and role players.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If it's between us, NY, and Detroit, I like our chances.

------------------
    "Thick, lustrous hair is very important to me."
    -George Costanza

14. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Throw in Miami as well., they'll have plenty of cap space by then.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

15. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Don't forget Indiana, just because C-Webb has said publicly that he would love to play w/ Jalen. I know alot of their salary isalready tied up but they will be looking for a big man, especially once the dunking dutchman retires.
    Also we may have 2-4 first rounders next years, but more than likely we will have 2 (ours & Milwaukees) unless someone who owes us apick has a great year. The problem then is that we owe one first rounder next year, so we will probably only end up with one pick.
    I think that was the biggest reason we made the Collier trade, to ensure we had one pick next year.

------------------

17. Colby

Colby Member

Getting Webber would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. If I were webber, i would go to Miami. Webber, Zo, EJ. Thats 3 players platying at their peak w/ Riley. Ouch. And the MAX

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

18. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

From The Sporting News' Ira Winderman:

http://www.sportingnews.com/magazine/nba/articles/20000806/251251.html

Chris Webber, the centerpiece of next summer's free-agent class, warned teams not to make the same mistake some teams made this summer with Tim Duncan. "The place I want to win a championship is in Sacramento," he said.

<HR WIDTH=75%>

This is a small quote from a larger article by the AP I believe, and I didn't view it as a "warning" in context of his other comments. I thought of it more as an appeasement to the Sacramento community.

The tone I got was that he wants to go where he can win a championship, ideally Sacramento would position themselves to do so, but if not...

------------------
    Bad spellers of the world: UNTIE!

[This message has been edited by Tb-Cain (edited August 07, 2000).]