1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Simms a Texan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coma, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think Simms will be a better QB in the NFL than he is in college. # 1 seems too high, but I guess GM's and scouts love his size and strength. He has progressed a lot in the second half of this season and has solidified the starting job however I think the knock on him is that he has struggled against good competition. When under pressure it appears like Simms takes a step backwards. Now some of you will blame the WR's or bad coaching however I think Simms is also responsible.

I think the part about bad coaching (play selection etc.) will be solved at the next level. I look forward to seeing Simms work out of a shotgun finally. Like Vick, I don't know if Simms wants to play for an expansion team. If he does and elects to come out, I wouldn't mind the Texans drafting him however again # 1 just seems to high for him.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I understand, though Eli may be more talented than Payton, supposedly he's way more lazy when it comes to developing his potential. This causes me to worry a bit about comparing him to Payton.

3. Major

Major Member

Take it for what it's worth:

<I>Simms, in what were fairly innocuous remarks Tuesday, said he would listen to the NFL advisory panel before deciding whether to return as a senior. But he later clarified his situation, saying he has no intentions of leaving school early.

Wise move.

NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said Wednesday he wouldn't even project Simms as a first-round pick because "I don't see him playing to a first-round level yet. I want to see him light it up on a week-to-week basis and see him do it against the top teams. David Carr's a better quarterback than he is right now. I'd say there's no way Chris should consider coming out."

Kiper's not alone.

"I think he ought to stay in school," said C.O. Brocato, the Tennessee Titans' national coordinator of college scouting. "I think he'd be crazy to come out."
    </I>

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

can anyone remember the last time [or if it has ever happened] when 2 brothers were both starting at qb for different nfl teams?

5. haven

haven Member

I do know who's overrated: Joey Harrington.

Bret Favre Part II? HAH!

The guy has so many amazing comebacks because he's inconsistent early in games.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

take it for what it's worth is right: kiper had no trouble heaping praise upon michael vick last year, despite his lack of a forward passing game, yet, just a year later, apparently sees none of simms' potential. makes sense.

carr may be better right now, but does mel honestly think he'll be better 2, 3 years down the road?

as for brocato, hmmm... wonder why a titan scout would try to dissuade chris simms from coming out the year houston has the guarnateed first pick? i'm gonna spend the rest of the night trying to piece this one together...

7. Timing

Timing Member

Ty and Koy Detmer have probably done it.