1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Sheridan says NBA will start on time - sides are closer than you think

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Sep 6, 2011.

1. what

what Member

NEW YORK — Here’s the dirty little secret about the NBA lockout, despite what both sides — the owners and the players — would have you believe:

They are a lot closer to a settlement than most people realize.

I know this because I talk regularly with a bunch of important people who tell me important things, and I am going to explain why I believe a settlement will be reached that will not only save the season, but also enable the NBA to have an “all is forgiven” honeymoon period (similar to what the NFL just experienced following its labor settlement) in which the frenzy of free agents signings, trades, training camps and exhibition games will make everyone forget all of the doomsday talk they’ve been hearing all summer.

Read the rest here:

http://sheridanhoops.com/

2. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Wishful thinking on his part.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well, "close" * ∞ != done.

4. opticon

opticon Member

What he is saying makes sense if the players did not care about BRI.

I still think a deal won't get done till a few game checks get missed.

Figuring out the BRI split is a major issue. BRI is what really pays the players.

When the media starts leaking out numbers proposed BRI numbers from different sides that is when you will know a deal is close.

Player salaries get escrowed so total player pay out is not more then 57% of BRI. If total player salaries don't equal 57% not only do the players get their escrow money back but they get additional money on top of that. This year salaries where under 57 percent so all players who played last year got extra money on top of what their contract payed out for the year.

I think the players will be willing to make cuts on salary length but will not settle for a BRI lower then 50%

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

the only way this is happening is if the owners cave ... because the workers can only benefit more by stretching into the season.

The owners have sponsors, fans, TV contracts ... etc...all that pressure coming to bear. The players are young millionaires with an extended holiday...they don't really care that much.

don't fool yourself...the players have less to lose in the shortterm, and caving for them would mean they lose in the longterm. not going to happen. this union is too tight.

1 person likes this.
  6. MONON

MONON Member

I never dreamed the NFL & the players would settle on time & I fully expected the NBA season to be a total washout. Maybe I'll be wrong twice this year!:grin:

7. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Delonte west sure isn't benefiting from this...

8. aaaa

aaaa Member

Chris Sheridan left ESPN??? :eek:

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems natural for him to write. He can make a little splash saying the opposite of what everyone else is saying. If he ends up being right, he can say, I told you so. If he ends up being wrong, he can say, They were this close, but.... And everyone would forget.

11. pge71188

pge71188 Member

12. Classic

Classic Member

Chris needs to get paid, great headline on his part

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

No games will be missed. This past season put the NBA on the path to great heights like during the Jordan era. Therefore, that's A LOT of money to be made on both sides.

The players will cave a little more, and the owners will be a tiny bit more flexible.

Both sides know very well they can't afford to miss any games after the leaps the league made last season. It would be ridiculously STUPID to do so.

Jared Dudley, one of the players involved in the meetings I believe, says he thinks training camp and season will start on time.

People have to understand how negotiations work. They don't get serious until the last minute.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is from a short-term perspective.

In a long-term perspective, the league will undoubtedly rebound (like, or better than, the NHL did).

Also if both sides only "cave a little" and keep a CBA resembling the one that was in place, it will only be a matter of time before we're back to the same issues of massively inflated salaries and complaining owners.

This is my guess.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rigggghhhhhttttt, the owners and the players prefer I believe it'll lockout. Sweet.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Nobody cares about the NHL right now, and most likely for the next decade. It's like the WNBA. And it's not like it was relevant before the lockout. So it's not logical to compare the situation with the NHL.

It took the NBA 12 years from the last lockout, and that took a Lebron James debacle to take the NBA to new heights. Its All-star game ratings broke records. The playoffs and Finals reached 20+ mil viewers. And this is during the poor economy.

The NBA is on its way to being the clear #2 sports after the NFL in America (surpassing the MLB, which is a mess).

If the NBA increases its revenue sharing a little more and both sides "cave a little," I think the problem can be resolve pretty well.

Look, after each CBA ends, the owners and players will ALWAYS complain because both sides want better deals. That's just how it is. You have to remember in 99, the owners thought they got a GREAT deal (esp with lowering the rookie salary scale as one of the biggest things), and look at their complaints now.

I'm sure both sides will start increasing its talks, and hopefully things get done.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

If he's right, does that mean no training camp? The players will be sent out to work without much preparation..

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The NFL is a whole nother animal than the NBA.

No NFL? Riots in the streets.

No NBA? Disappointment for a lot of us, but not on the NFL level.

Sheridan was writing the same stuff months ago. I hope Tinker Bell waves her wand and throws some pixie dust on this and we get 82 games. But I'm not holding my breath.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

All comes down to whether or not the owners break down and take their major items off the table.

If they do, I'd have to believe they've been lying for several years about the financial affairs of the small market teams. But I don't think they have been.

Who knows, maybe the owners have quietly resigned to settle for a lesser deal on the CBA and take care of the Bobcats, Pacers, Wolves, etc with a real revenue sharing plan.

The real pressure comes down to who starves first. And the players seem to be doing a far better job this go around (overseas, saving). There are several owners who still have to pay off investors and/or arena debts.