1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul's actually been running the offense a lot better than Harden.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Feb 14, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Pace is the problem.

Rockets 97.2 rank 27th in the nba.

Too old and too slow to play defense.

BasketMAD likes this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can project an expected win pace based on net rating. The formula is:
    Code:
    Projected Win%=[(Points Differential)*2.7)+41]/82
    Using this formula here ignores the context of rotations, since CP often plays against bench units, but it's still illustrates a point of how good the team has been with him on the floor.

daywalker02 and HP3 like this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dude, CP3 plays what? Once a month? How about he shows up for work when it matters. At the end of the day he's a has- been who got his $160million retirement package and doesn't look worried about winning a title.

#43 TEXNIFICENT, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Cool Story bro. Anyway to get him to "run the defense" better too?

5. Rocketeer4Life

I totally agree with OP. Paul runs the offense better than Harden because Harden has been doing too much ISO's and step back 3s as shown by his declining assists. Harden has been so predictable and painful to watch lately. He is back to the Harden 3 years ago where he just dribbles the ball the entire shot clock.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Last season was our best offensive rating in team history.

This season overall our offense is actually a touch better than last.

During this streak our offensive rating has been 2+ points better than last year.

split41 and topfive like this.
  8. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

what were the rockets in pace for 2017... that was the year paul was still a clipper

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think CP3 & Harden have an understanding that CP3 needs to only go like 75% until we get closer to the playoffs while Harden has fun on this legendary streak he is having

Balldon'tlie and hakeem94 like this.
  10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

because CP is a pure old school point guard and Harden is an iso point guard

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Cp3 is still an elite playmaker but he's downgraded in every other category, even his mid-range shots don't feel like 100% anymore.

12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Have you seen Chris Paul since he returned? Without questions it's 100% debatable he is currently playing the worst defense on our team right now.

Don't live in past success, hype, and fantasy land. Pay more attention to the game if you think otherwise. Maybe in your land of make believe him swiping a steal here and there while failing every other assignment & switch is good defense? Not only is he playing bad defense, he isn't communicating either.

I'm a fan of Paul which makes it even more disheartening.. because even if he lost all athletic ability he still has a mouth and vocal cords so surely he should be communicating like he always has in the past. My current theory is he knows right now he's the culprit of playing poorly and so thats why he's not being the voice.

#52 Realjad, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Balldon'tlie, Little Bit and hakeem94 like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes, I have, your eye test is way different than mine.

Are you kidding me? Dude, we are done, you are clearly not seeing what Im seeing. Not to mention you have no numbers to back up your silly argument, we are done here.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Hahaha man you are a legend, not only you fight all the clueless ppl , now you fighting one of the most level headed knowelegeable guys!

Realjad likes this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The offensive rating is inflated because of the monster games, and complete lack of defense. No one in their right mind could believe the offense is better than last year. Harden is. The offense isn’t.

Balldon'tlie likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Is he though? @Realjad My apologies Im not trying to be a dick, i come off to strong sometimes. But it is legitamately crazy to me that he thinks Paul is the worst defender on this team debatably. Thats totally insane. Hes not doing as well as last year I fully admit, but its flat out untrue to say hes the worst.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am pretty positive he is holding out at least 20-30% for the playoffs but it's not looking good.

You cannot fully control injury risk.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  18. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Well Paul has always been more of a "PG" than Harden. Harden is a great passer and playmaker but he isn't truly a PG, but more so this season since he's been trying to keep up his scoring binge, he's had to use more possessions focusing on scoring.

His last 15 games he's averaging 5 apg, and since Paul's return, since he's on the ball less when Paul is on the floor, he's more focused on using his on ball possessions to keep up his streak.

It would benefit Harden for his streak to end. Players are very cognizant of these kinds of things, you have to understand what it means to be cemented in history, so I don't blame him for keeping it going. Still, when the streak is over he will likely be less deliberate in his play.

19. valorita

valorita Member

This is hypocrisy at its finest.
    A bunch of key players underperform and/or get injured... often both.
    Harden was literally putting the team and a bunch of cast-offs on his back and doing what he must to keep the Rox in the playoffs.
    He has been doing that for half the season with historic volume/efficiency and now you want him to change that mentality and habits in a blink?

The only positive thing about this season has been Harden’s brilliance under poor circumstances. Haters gonna hate but come on now.

20. dmoneybangbang

I think we are at the point where Harden is the issue. I realize our roles players haven't stepped up due to various seasons, but it just looks joyless out there. The trade deadline is over, hopefully the role players who have been in the constant trade talks can loosen up a bit. Most of all, that ball needs to be giving out energy instead of sucking it in.

T for 3 likes this.