1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul to MDA after Anderson shot a wide open 3: Nice Play Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Mar 18, 2018.

1. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Heard Bullard talking about this in the game, thought it would be nice to have a gif.
    [​IMG]

It was actually a play Rockets run quite often this season, Paul gets the ball in the post, EG curls around Anderson's screen faking to C&S outside the perimeter, then runs back towards the rim setting a back screen for Anderson, who pops out for a wide open three. The correct defensive play would be Rose switching to Anderson, but it's really hard to play because if he doesn't fight over the screen and chase EG really hard, EG can just curl out and shoot a wide-open three(which also happen quite often this season). Not a super complicated play which only involves three players, but very effective and hard to guide.

Also, CP3's reaction is super funny, I have seen players celebrating after their elite shooter teammates release a shot many times, but turning to the coach and praising the coach for drawing a good play before the shot goes in, that's really the first time I see anybody do that.

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It’s cool to see how much cp3 loves playing for MDA.

Their the perfect pairing.

Harden is their mutant lab monster they created.

It’s crazy how fast harden reacts to the defense when comes off the pick and roll and throws that lob to Clint.

Cp3 is a better passer but he can’t make that one read as fast as harden can it’s insane.

Honestly harden might be the best ever at throwing that lob off a pick and roll.

Actually he’s just the best pick and roll player ever.

Deckard, Erbnwarfare, Deuce and 10 others like this.
  4. s3ts

s3ts Member

Don't give away our plays, man. Playoffs are around the corner.

I did like that play though.

Jontro and Tfor3 like this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Maybe the gif made me loopy, but the play makes me laugh. It's Gordon running goofily in a circle and getting chased by Rose, which frustrates, confuses, traps, and angers Towns. :D

6. smp

smp Member

"Play harder". "Don't let the ball get sticky." "Uh, that's all I've got."

Rockets FTW, slothy420, DCkid and 3 others like this.
  7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Nice observation

8. smp

smp Member

I love plays where guys run through screens off the ball. It's good basketball and it's fun to watch.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I like his on court confidence. The swagger. Not so much the '''we're so good cockiness" .. haven't won anything yet .. especially you CP3. Keep grinding!

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I like how Dan Tony is able to draw up plays in stark contrast to the doofus Kevin McFail whose go to play was:

[​IMG]

RockFanFirst, RasaqBoi, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Thanks for the breakdown! I was limited to watching Minnesota coverage on NBAtv

12. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Wasn't their a picture of his play board that actually looked like this LMAO

edit: found the picture it's even worse!
    [​IMG]

#12 ISOBall, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    topfive likes this.
  13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

What a beautiful play. Love MDA and how this team is buying the system.

MDAs style is a PG driven system where (i believe) the key players require high IQ PGs. Unlike his stints in LAL and NYK (excluding Linsanity), those systems did not have either a high IQ PG or a healthy/in their prime PG (i.e. Steve Nash with LAL)

EDIT: I'm also not saying Lin was a high IQ PG, far from it

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This was the other play

jeremy Lin and Greasy Keith Jones drawing it up SMH

Vivi, ISOBall and TMac'n like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wince at Ryno's shooting form at times like in this Gif, but it's all cool when it goes in. Go Ryno! Go Houston Rockets!

joeson332 likes this.
  16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

LOL, Lin was probably drawing the same MDA play he recalled from NYK. Harden is probably like "why y'all all bunched up in the middle, I can't Iso this"

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As with all great plays, it doesn't really matter if the defense knows what's coming here. Either EG will be open on the first part of the elevator play here, or he'll set the pick for Ryan who'll be open, or there will be switches all over the place and mismatches.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

That was awesome.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not elevator. That's two pickers Curry will squeeze through, like stepping through a closing elevator door. We don't run that play, ever.

Like many NBA plays, imso, this is just a play hunting for a defensive mistake. This play somewhat resembles our Spain PnR, but from a Paul mid-range post vs a PnR. Dare I say this is a Triangle Play.

Not really. It won't cause a switch on Paul. Just like our Spain PnR, switches nearly always stop this play ... resulting in a clogged paint area. In this case, a proper switch probably even prevents Paul from passing the ball at all.

Like @James.B.H says, this is just simple player movement, fun to see when it works ... but, it is largely hunting for a defensive mistake...vs PnR attacking plays that exploit pick-ur-poison decisions or other movement plays like Spurs Hammer that will take advantage of even correct help decisions by defenses.

My guess is the reason Paul points to the coaches is because someone spotted that Rose is rusty and will mistakenly follow EGo even while Thibs has switching in place ... notice Towns is playing a switch.

20. csc177

csc177 Member

I was just about to say this. Lol. #delete