1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Chris Paul never gets this foul call" [SBNation]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HorryForThree, Dec 4, 2017.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Inarguable that CP3 was fouled when shooting the half court shot vs. the NYK. Great article on it here in this piece that focuses on it:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/26/16700546/chris-paul-shooting-foul-no-call-rockets-vs-knicks

Chris Paul is smart. Maybe too smart. And in the Rockets’ 117-102 comeback win over the Knicks on Saturday, his basketball I.Q. yet again went unrewarded.

Paul was pushing the ball in transition and felt Jarrett Jack coming for an intentional foul. He deftly got the ball up and attempted a half-court shot milliseconds before Jack fouled him. Paul was not given free throws despite the clear call.

As it turned out, Houston didn’t need the three foul shots. They went on to blowout New York, turning a 22-point deficit into a 23-point lead and an eventual 15-point win at home.

But that’s a shooting foul no matter how you slice it
    Paul rarely ever gets that call. During his tenure in Los Angeles, Paul would shoot near half-court threes just as teams intentionally fouled DeAndre Jordan, a career 43-percent foul shooter. Occasionally, Paul would make those deep threes. In those instances, the Clippersshould get three points plus Jordan at the foul line.
    Referees rarely, if ever, gave Paul those points.

CP3 even got upset when Jordan didn’t shoot the ball before the Trail Blazers could intentionally foul him.

The NBA Referees Association made a point of emphasis of contact and continuation over the summer, taking steps to ensure players are actually in the shooting motion when being fouled to get free throws. But Paul was visibly in the act of shooting when Jack fouled him, yet no free throws were awarded.

This isn’t an end-all be-all no-call. Not all guards make heady plays like Paul moments before getting fouled in transition. But all shooting foul calls should be made somewhat equal, and this one is on the outside looking in.

This time, the points weren’t a difference-maker. The Rockets still ran the score up before settling for a 15-point win. But what happens when that no-call costs a team a game?

We don’t want to find out."

DonKnock, RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  2. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Refs have never ever given CP3 that call but I have seen several players get that call against Paul when he was on the Clips. Pretty dam annoying.

don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  3. seeingred

seeingred Member

Ugh. I hate when players get that call but the bottom line is: a foul is a foul. Maybe if they'd call it fairly, the defense would stop fouling these guys at half court.

4. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I watched the Warriors game yesterday and Curry and Durant both got calls CP3 or Harden haven’t got this season over and over. Continuation means something different depending on your name and team your on.....and we are still winning....

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting!

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm okay with that. During the playoffs we're not going to get those calls anyway so you might as well practice for what will happen.

seeingredtx likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Currt got the pump fake jump into defender call behind the 3pt line that Harden doesn't seem to get anymore. Curry had'nt even started his shooting motion yet before he jumped into Dragic.

seeingredtx and don grahamleone like this.