1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul mid-range jump shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When stuck in a rut, or when teams are playing the Spurs defense of sagging the Bigs and staying home on 3pt shooters..... more of this please. Over and over and over again. That is all.

[​IMG]

RyanB, chadyang, jevjnd and 10 others like this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

3. MD_in_Training

Lol, love the shimmy that CC gives Lowry on that screen.

Fawkward, jevjnd, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, just noticed that. Sneaky pick with an little extra bootay!

Tfor3, BigggReddd and alethios like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let's not turn the Toronto game into a narrative that only Paul can beat a defense ICEing the PnR and staying with the shooters, when Harden went 11-14 on drives and Ariza went 5-8 by turning down the three look and driving (also resulting in Ariza going to the FT line the most in a game this year ... and he's had 23 games of Zero trips.)

I thought the Toronto game showed as much that Harden can drive against that defense more this year, as it did Paul can get an open look.

We won three quarters against that defense. And when you rewatch the first 1 1/2 quarters (up to that last 19pt lead), we were still effective at getting good looks, but when the opponents are inverting the analytics on you (by nailing a lot of threes in the 1st), the math proves hard to keep up with, despite Harden not really having much trouble driving on a retreating big, and Gordon and Ariza attacking too.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wasn't suggesting only Paul. Just that it is a weapon the Rockets didnt have last year that they can utilize this year.

Also, credit Harden for making those drives. But he also drove against Pau Gasol and didnt have as much success. Perhaps that was more to do with Harden being warn down though than anything Pau was doing.

The bottom line I wanted to highlight is that SHOT and that wide open area is there to be taken advantage of if the situation presents itself.

Couple that high percentage shot with the Rockets improved defense and that success can easily get the rockets a cushion on the scoreboard that could be very important.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

CP3 missed some opportunities last night by first looking at passing it off instead of shooting midrange shots.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yep. Along with shooters passing up the open 3 to dribble drive. That gave the defense the chance to adjust and it hurt us. This team cannot hesitate when they have those open looks.

Deuce is right though, Paul has a knack at making those shots when we really need them. I’d like to see him look for those shots a little more.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

One of the reasons I said CP3 was tired last night. Usually automatic for CP3; but came up short
    most of the night. You (Deuce) found one of the few (mid range...FT line area) that he made last night.

Not to be too disrespectful to the Raptors, Celtics/Thunder/Bucks is a little more difficult than
    Hornets/Hawks/Pistons in the 3 games in 5 days prior to last nights game. At the same time
    I tip my cap to the Raptors for being more energized to start the game.

Lowry 22 mins, DeRosan 28 mins, Valancuinas 26 mins vs Atlanta.

#9 ApacheWarrior, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

gotta go with what the defense gives you. See banner

#10 LosPollosHermanos, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It's nice that he can hit that shot. Midrange J's are still some of the smoothest looking basketball moves IMO.

On the Toronto game, I thought we lost it because we didn't match their intensity. Toronto was ready for the game from tip-off while the Rockets were not. It really showed in terms of the energy that the teams came out with. I think CP3 even had a quote on this.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The shot that Capela got blocked on...Chris had a very wide open mid range jumper he could've taken.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

hence GG not playing.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

@ApacheWarrior yeah, not sure if he was tired or playing on a minor injury but Paul didn't look good out there.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Noooo. Please don’t say CP3 and injury in the same sentence. That would definitely derail the train.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As much as I love CP creating shot opportunities for his teammates, many times I kinda wish he channeled his inner-Harden and just got his, get some shots up and get a lather.

When CP and Harden get going early, they usually keep it up and it really puts the pressure on the other team.

There are a lot of times CP will probe out there and end up with some WIDE OPEN looks at the 3 and he doesnt take them to find other opportunities as the shot clock will allow. Sometimes....just bit a bit selfish and take that 3pt shot. You are shooting 40%. You are one of the better 3pt shooters on the team. Look for yourself.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

CP3 need to start shooting that mid range at will. He been looking to pay make a lot lately.