1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jul 11, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dear Chris,

Thanks for that one great year!

Your truly,
    Hoping For More

D-rock likes this.
  2. OMGitsDanny

OMGitsDanny Member

Smart, calm and confident. Always made the right plays and I felt like there was a perfect balance between him and Harden.

Such a shame that he held us to ransom with that contract. A great ****ing shame, really. Like why, bro, why?

3. txn

txn Member

If we have this version of CP3, we might have won the west :( Miss the old CP3

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

CP’s handles were insane

D-rock and anchel like this.
  5. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

If only we could put your brains in Westbrook's body.
    Thank You Chris.

6. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I was coming home and getting off the 101 in LA and Chris pulled up alongside me in his black Ferrari with his kids.

As we were waiting for the green light I said that Rockets fans were thankful for what he gave us and he’ll be missed.

He gave a smile and said “it was fun!”

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Thanks for nothing

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I think the injury in the beginning of the season affected him more than we'd like or he wanted to admit. I think had he gotten more rest time and didn't push himself to be out there as soon as he was, he might have been better. The man has a Ferrari though and tons of money in his account thanks to us. Wish things worked out here but sometimes that is just how the cookie crumbles. I think he'll find his way back to L.A. where he obviously still considers home.

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

cp3 gave rondo a black eye. Draymond Greene gave Harden red eye. So Long cp3! Thanks for the good memories!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He was a good player - but his leadership abilities are too whiney and he rubs people the wrong way.

Probably best he is gone.

DD

Hmc415, Jontro and amaru like this.
  11. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

the 17-18 version of chris paul was him at the tail end of his prime. And it got us 60+ wins, a legitimate shot to beat a dynasty if not for injury and the first time as a rockets fan feeling like we were going to win just about every single regular season game/playoff series.

If only we had chris paul at any other point of his prime ... def would have commanded more respect from harden to adapt in winning ways. Even for a glimpse of them healthy together in 17-18 was a championship team. If only ...

joshuaao, amaru and HP3 like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Don't mean to necro this thread. CP3 did a recent interview with DMiles & QRich.

Interview is 90min long, but links takes to 50:38 mark where they start talking about the Rockets.

Earlier Fun bits:
    • When in college, CP3 didn't want to workout for New Orleans. Agent says: "if you don't go, they're gonna draft you anyways". So he ended up going, but he still went hard at the work out. Back then, instead of fancy restaurants, Byron Scott took Paul to TGIF. :D
    • Talked about first playoff series against Spurs (lost in game7) was an eye opener. Team was a CP3 + Tyson Chandler + David West combo.
    • Before Stern blocked CP3 to the Lakers trade, CP3 wanted buddy Ariza to go with him.
    • Chauncy didn't want to go to clippers, he wanted to go to Miami. He was mad when Clippers got him. :D
    • CP3 admits he didn't really appreciate the lob chemistry to Blake/DeAndre until after he left.

#92 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    D-rock, HewbieTrippin and HP3 like this.
  13. DJ

DJ Member

Interesting when he said losing Trevor Ariza was "a whole another story"

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I miss CP everyday. Love James but it’s on him it didn’t workout.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

boohoo LOF

you mean it's on Harden that Lin didn't work out

#95 vlaurelio, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I miss CP too. No shame. Its tough to watch him ballin in OKC... especially when we play OKC.

For some reason people can only appreciate greatness in team awards. (Rings)

Hopefully Westbrook can go toe to toe with someone on the playoffs the way Paul did against Curry and write a new legend.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

oh please, gimme a break...

if CP wasn’t always missing 20 games and didn’t fall off a cliff after his 1st season here, he’d still be in a Rockets uni

if he didn’t get hurt in 2018, he’d probably have a championship too

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s on James... :D

Dear lord CP3 was strapped to Harden’s back for a whole damn season, and then his nuts shriveled in the playoffs.

It’s on James my ass.

#98 RudyTBag, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    D-rock and Reeko like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CP3 went toe to toe with Andrew Bogut and every other C on GSW in isolation in 2019, and got handed his ass.

Blows my mind how easily you guys erase 2019. Dude was healthy, and in his feelings, while being extremely slow and timid.

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

Those toe-to-toe scenarios tend to bring out the worst in Westbrook from a team standpoint. He's just not built to succeed that way.
    What I would like to see is Russ be able to block everything out and focus solely on what is needed to push the team and remembering to play exclusively to his strengths rather than acknowledging certain matchups or comparisons.

The consistent focus that CP helped bring in '17-'18 is one of the things this team has been sorely missing this season.
    And while I don't expect Westbrook to be able to emulate that, I do know that he is at his personal best when he is locked in on his team rather than worrying about out winning a matchup.

[see: 2019 vs Lillard, 2018 vs Rubio, 2017 vs Beverley, etc.]

napalm06 likes this.