1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Mihm will not be a bust.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by University Blue, May 26, 2000.

1. University Blue

Let's give him two years in the league before deciding if Mihm is worth his draft position.

Personally, I think he'll be a solid player -- like Doleac in Orlando. It's hard to find frontcourt players with range. I think Mihm (Doleac or Croshere) would be a good fit in the current Houston offense.

(Speaking of UT players, what ever happened to Luke Axtell -- after he left UT for Kansas? He and Mihm were supposed to lead UT to the Sweet 16.)

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

He (Axtell) played well for Roy Williams and co. last year. He started anyway. I saw a few games and he was playing well, had cut some of that hair off, had bulked up a little, and was still firing that jump shot at will. He has one year left of eligibility if I am not mistaken.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mihm will be servicable, but not a great player.

He will avg around 12-15pts and about 10 rebounds, not bad, but not superstar numbers.

Fizer will average 20-10 for a long time.

As for Axtel, he got some mysterious illness, and quit playing for Kansas halfway through this year. They are even questioning whether he can come back for his senior year.

Anyone know what he contracted?

DaDakota

------------------

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Mihm = solid player...like Doleac.

Doesn't sound like he's worth the 4th or 5th pick to me. I think Chicago could do better by drafting the best player available and trading for a center somewhere down the line..

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

5. MManal

MManal Member

First off, Chris Mihm is a whole lot better than Michael Doleac. Jerry Krause knows full well what he is doing here and is probably secretly happy scouts, personnel evaluators etc question Mihm's fire, toughness and all. He realizes that this type of thing could cause Mihm to fall to the #4 pick. Chris Mihm is a very good fit for the version of the triangle offense the Bulls are moving toward. One thing I have noticed about the triangle offense and this was actually written in the Triangle Offense book authored by Tex Winter is that there are various different forms of it. Thus, with Elton Brand down low and Chris Mihm playing the high post action, it will work beautifully as the guards can have nice lanes to cut and move without the ball. Also, the guard movement will create excellent spacing for Mihm to excel, something he did not have at Texas.

Chris Mihm developed that quick turn around jumper from 15 ft away this season which will work well when the Bulls set him up at the foul line. The fact that he play 15 ft from the basket and can play on the low blocks is what intrigues Krause imho.

I think Chris Mihm is going to be a solid 17-10 center that can block shots and defend. He will not be in the superstar status with Alonzo Mourning and Shaquille O'Neal, but I think he is better than the likes of Raef LaFrentz and Vlade Divac. Considering how tough it is to land quality 7 footers esp ones that are legit size at 7-0 262 with the kind of skills Mihm has, I would have no problem spending the 4th overall pick on him.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

6. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Mihm is going to be better than Raef LaFrentz. Mihm probably has the better post up game. But Raef has the better perimeter skills and has a good deal more athleticism than Mihm. Mihm will probably end up being the better weak side defender. But I think Raef is a better man up defender.

------------------

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

17/10 ? man, those are pretty gawdy numbers. I dont think zo put up numbers like that until his 3rd or 4th year ? and he was always thought of as a premier center. how many Centers averaged 17/10 ? shaq, zo,........ummm.....robinson ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Francis3, when will kenyon average this ? his rookie year ? im not so sure. what were kenyon's #'s last year ? Kenyon's rookie year could be more like 17 pts. 8.5 rebs. 2.5 blocks. I dont see him having a much better year than elton brand, which is what your #'s project.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

His second year most likely. [​IMG]

He will be Rookie of the Year and make the all star team.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

10. Da Man

Supporting Member

I've seen plenty of Chris Mihm. If he were a color, he would stick out like a beige. That guy has yet to do anything to get my salivating. And if I'm not salivating over some aspect of the prospects game, I'm not going to be too interested in his chances. I think the size differential being Mihm and Lafrentz is HIGHLY inconsequential. I'm not going to sit around a say an inch here and a few pounds here matters. Cuz quite frankly, I could care less. He still has zero low post strength. Has there been a player that has not yet been able to push out Mihm from where he wants to be in the low blocks.

And in conclusion, Lafrentz still has a good deal more athleticism than Mihm. I guarantee you one thing. If Lafrentz was playing against LSU, he would have thrown down a flush on Stromile instead being a victim of Swift.

------------------

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Mihm as atheletic as LaFrenz??? Hardly. I dont know Mihm all that well. Ive seen him play a number of times, and my impression of Mihm is much like that of DaMan. Mihm is moved at will by anyone of size in the paint. For a guy who is larger (taller) than 99 percent of his competition in college, did I read that he shot something like 44%. Im not sure if thats accurate, but if so, that is completely pathetic for a guy his size. Im thinking that his post up game is way to weak, his defense is going to be suspect at the NBA level, and his unwillingness to bang away in the middle with the big boys will aggravate, more than inspire.

But hey, those are my impressions, and never have I said Im a draft guru.

12. MManal

MManal Member

I think thats the reason the national media and a good amount of fans think Chris Mihm is a stiff b/c he doesnt make them "salivate". There is nothing wrong with a fundamentally sound, textbook type player like Mihm that is not flashy. As long as he does his job effectively, he does not have to make people salivate imho. We'll have to just agree to disagree on the athletic ability comparison of Mihm and LaFrentz. Also, in that LSU game, Mihm had a 100+ degree temperature and was visibly not well. When you have that type of temperature and illness, it takes away from your explosion during a game. Plus, I dont think one play (getting packed by Swift who btw is one of the premier players in this draft) should not be some sole determining factor of a player. Mihm just has a better package of skills than LaFrentz imho, I do not see how Mihm is worse.

Raef LaFrentz was a 12-8 center last season, Mihm is definitely going to be better than that imho. If Mihm does not get atleast those numbers his rookie season, then he could be characterized as a major disappointment, but I just cant see him doing worse than that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see at the end of next season how Mihm has done in his rookie yr.

------------------

Draftsource.net

13. MManal

MManal Member

<<did I read that he shot something like 44%. Im not sure if thats accurate, but if so, that is completely pathetic for a guy his size.>>

Dreamshake Chris Mihm's field goal percentage was .522, also his THREE POINT PERCENTAGE was .467. Not bad for the so called next NBA stiff eh?

------------------

Draftsource.net

14. Da Man

Supporting Member

Mihm's FG% in 1998-1999 was under 45%, which is INEXCUSABLE.

Being a 12 ppg, 8 rpg, and 2 bpg player on a team where you are on a good day the 3rd option is not bad. There is no way LaFrentz is getting the ball before McDyess or Van Exel. Or course Ron Mercer played quite a few games there before he was traded, and he was jacking at the time because he was in a contract year. Also take in the fact that he came off major knee surgery the year before, athletes usually don't make the full recovery until the year after the 1st post-injury season.

And maybe the question I need to be asking is, "How many times have you seen Raef Lafrentz play?" The guy was only blocking and jamming over everyone in college on his way to be a 2 time All-American. You can go to NBA.com and view some video of him chasing down Iverson on a fast break to perform a very Olajuwon-like stuff. And stuffing a full-momentum Kevin Garnett dunk. The guy is a pretty good athlete. And he's even a better athlete if you compare him to Mihm.

While I'm on Lafrentz, I think he would be a wonderful fit on the Rockets. Plays the 4 and the 5, which are need areas for the Rocks. Is a multi-positional player which Rudy loves. A good shot blocker. Runs the floor wonderfully. And is a good 3 pointer regardless of size. I think he's around 34% for his career from long range. He can score in the low post. Plays more like David Robinson on offense. He's more of a face the basket, pump fake, drive to the basket for the jam kind of guy. His best position is Power Forward. But obviously he isn't doing too bad playing center full time. He was the 3rd player chosen in the 1998 draft filled with Mike Bibby, Antwan Jamison, Vince Carter, Michael Dickerson, Cuttino Mobley, Rashard Lewis, Larry Hughes, Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Jason Williams and so forth. Mihm could be selected anywhere from the 1st pick to the 4th pick in a draft that is not as talented as the 1998 draft. LaFrentz is better than Mihm right now. And I predict he will remain as the better player for years to come.

------------------

15. Prophet

Prophet Member

Mihm = The next Will Perdue at best!

16. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

DaMan, I wouldn't use 98-99 numbers as players can improve greatly within a year. Martin would be a good example of this.

------------------
    Check out the new and improved
    Draftsource.net

17. MManal

MManal Member

gr8, 17-10 are not gawdy numbers. Check the stats. Alonzo has been roughly a 20-10 player every year during his career, his rookie yr, Zo was 21-10. David Robinson was 24-12 his rookie yr. Shaq was 24-13. For Chris Mihm to develop into a 17-10 center is not far fetched at all. Like I said Mihm will not be in the elite tier with Shaq and Zo, but he will be better than the likes of Divac and LaFrentz.

DaMan, athleticially, Mihm and LaFrentz are about the same imho. Someone who says LaFrentz has a "good deal more athleticism" than Mihm just has not seen Mihm enough or closely enough. Have you not noticed the inches Mihm added to his vertical leap this season? It has made him a much better defensive presence in the lane. LaFrentz does have better perimeter skills however he has no where near the post moves Mihm has. Have you not seen Mihm's turnaround J from 15 ft that he developed? Also his hook shot to the middle has textbook form. His footwork is very good. Those are the types of moves I want out of my center. Also, Mihm is better sized for the center position at 7-0 262, LaFrentz is more like 6-11 245.

------------------

Draftsource.net

18. Prophet

Prophet Member

How in the world can anyone call this guy a fundamentally sound player? The guy is soft, cannot defend well, has average rebounding and offensive skills. He currently shows he cannot guard any of the top 15 centers in the league nor can he effective score against them IMO. The guy is overrated and time will show just that!

19. Da Man

Supporting Member

I was only answering someone's question from above about whether Mihm shot 44% one year. The answer is yes. And that is inexcusable. He might have improved since then, but it's still inexcusable for a 7 foot college center to ever come close to shooting that low. But don't take offense, I'm just jabbing him in the same vain in which I would state how it was inexcusable for Webber to call a timeout in the championship game when Michigan had no timeouts. INEXCUSABLE!

------------------

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17-10 are not superstar numbers. I'm not sure Mihm will get 10 boards per game, but at least 8 or 9.

DaDakota-You really think Fizer will average 10 boards? 20 points? I think 18-8 is more like it.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!