1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese company rushes to make Trump 2020 flags before tariffs take effect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No Worries likes this.
  2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

How is this newsworthy? Does op not know anyone can sell political banners? Working overtime to spread fake news. smh

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Given the Trump campaign is buying their banners from this company in China - it is newsworthy.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

but are they?

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

"Keep America Great" is trademarked by the campaign so yes, it is for the campaign. Otherwise they could block the sales of the flags. I doubt Trump is sooooo bad of a business man he would let any other company violate his trademark and make money undercutting his Made in the USA flags.

No, more likely he uses a 3rd party intermediary to hide the imports and make a better profit.

JuanValdez likes this.
  6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I don't know what the trademark laws intent but if you look on ebay you can see 100's of users selling Trump gear. I doubt all of those people are on the Trump campaign team..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+americ.TRS0&_nkw=keep+america+great&_sacat=0

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sweet Tard thinks the PRC respects IP lulz

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Dumb dumb, ebay isn't the PRC

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Trump products Made in China

Trump campaign Made in Russia

Trump disasters Made in America

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Trump products Made in America

Trump campaign Made in America

Trump disasters Made in liberal fantasay land

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You do know Trump's official political gear are all made here in the U.S, right?

13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/0...denies-their-materials-are-made-in-china.html

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

haha, yeah I'm not surprised you believe that.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know that. Quick googling doesn't seem to confirm. Can you point me to the evidence?

Not that it's something that even should be sought. We're in a global economy where work-in-production is shipped all over before becoming a finished product. People love calling out Trump's 'hypocrisy' on this, but I don't see it as hypocritical. His own products are an anecdote of what happens more generally in manufacturing -- companies offshore some or all steps in their manufacturing because it is the most rational and competitive practice. Trump wants more of the work done in the US and he needs to change the market dynamics in a way that more of the work will be done in the US. He is not going to get there by counting on companies making irrational decisions to spend extra to keep manufacture domestic. He needs to make manufacturing domestically the rational choice. I do fault him on how much he thinks he can change the dynamic and I fault him for the cost he is willing to pay in order to try to achieve it. But not for hypocrisy (I do fault him for his early bullying of some companies, trying to raise their costs of offshoring idiosyncratically so that their rational decision would include not getting beat up by the president, but that's a little different).

16. Bandwagoner

I don't fault him that his cheap ass ties are made wherever but if his hats etc were made in china (they are not) it would be bad news. Just like when ralph lauren made the olympics gear in china. Gear like that is artificially inflated and can easily be manufactured here. even when it costs 10 times as much because the negative attention hurts your brand.

Nook likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My 30 seconds of research found that his hats are stitched in California, but the fabric, bill, etc, are imported.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It would be very easy to prove that his campaign gear was made in the US - just show the manufacturing facility it's being produced at. But they haven't done that which is incredibly suspicious.

19. Bandwagoner

A MYSTERY!!!!!! How interesting.

The true origin of the fabric in that hat remains a mystery — whether U.S. or foreign made. It shows how difficult and murky it can be to verify something is actually “Made in USA.”

Informed of AP’s findings, Trump said any misrepresentation would be unacceptable. He said: “I pay a good price for that hat. If it’s not made in the USA, we’ll bring a lawsuit.”

The AP review included a microscopic analysis of five hats bought from Trump’s campaign website. The analysis showed the fabric in one was of a different type than that made by the supplier the manufacturer told the AP provides all his hat fabric.

In addition to the fabric analysis, two of the manufacturer’s employees, including a top sales agent, said the hats’ fabric, bills and stiffeners were imported.

The factory’s owner, Brian Kennedy of Cali-Fame of Los Angeles Inc., said the two employees were wrong, but he refused to explain the fabric discrepancy. Federal law requires that items labeled “Made in USA” be made from materials “all or virtually all” from the United States.

“I’m not using imported materials,” Kennedy told the AP. “We’re playing by the rules.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/are-trumps-made-in-usa-hats-really-made-in-usa

My guess is at that time in 2016 (when his employees were bragging they could all the OT they wanted) he had some supply issues and mixed in some import fabrics.

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member