1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. The underhanded free throws were 10x better than anything Royce did. And Royce was a much higher pick.

roslolian and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Ok forgot about the free throws. Lol.

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Onuaku has been completely away from the team for almost 1.5 season now and it looks like the team has given up on him while Zhou Qi gets special treatment from the Rockets just because he's China. Last time I checked Onuaku is doing better than Zhou in almost every statistical category then why he's not allowed to even practise with the team? Guys like Troy Williams and Onuaku have been killing in the G League and deserve more minutes than Zhou. I hope the Rockets treat every player with same standard and don't let talent go to waste.

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Are you a girl?

D-rock and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That doesn't happen. Welcome to the NBA, where players with higher upside get more attention than 4 year dudes.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Have you ever had a take on anything that wasn't just flat out wrong or stupid? Kinda serious here.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Have not kept up with the G LEAGUE

What are those impressive stats?

Rocket River

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

Nanu sounds like a whiny *****. I'm not sure how you got anything else out of that tweet. Sounds like something Jeremy Lin would have tweeted.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Nanu...we talkin bout nanu? Nanu?

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

That boy Ashley finna swang dine

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ash is reaching to find something, anything to hate the Rockets. Time to put this in a sig?

D-rock likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sad sacrifice......he aint going to be developed.

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are still people pining for Royce's talent.....with that beautiful mind he was never going to tap into his potential.

14. seeingred

seeingred Member

Well, fwiw, i like what i've seen from Nanu. I wouldn't say he's killing the G-League this year. In 25 mins per game he averages: 10 points on 55% shooting, 9.4 rebounds, 1.2 blocks, 0.8 steals, 2.9 assists and hitting FT's at 66%. Those are solid numbers from a 4 year guy with modest potential and he's always seemed like a smart player. His passing is great for a big man and his willingness to shoot FT's underhanded (and be laughed at every game) shows he's gotten past his ego - a thing most young players struggle with.

I don't know how he's doing with his mid range jumper, but I know he has one. He could be a solid, cheap back up C when Nene leaves. Especially if Jo Chee hasn't developed or they decide he's a PF for the time being due to lack of strength.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

The G League is exactly where Onuaku belongs. Better to play in the G League than to sit on the bench with the Rockets. Onuaku isn't going to get any minutes with the Rockets when we have Capela, Nene, and Black. The G League is also where Zhou needs to be also.

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yeah check her (his?) take in the MDA hired thread, iirc.

D-rock likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am highly skeptical that Nanu has the passion, attitude or motivation to do anything with his basketball career.

100 percent off the Nanu bandwagon until he shows some hunger.

j@amc likes this.
  18. basketballholic

Like I said when it was made, wasted pick. Back up big men are a dime a dozen. We're paying two guys for that role around $6 million of cap space and including Nanu we've got three roster slots tied up in backup bigs of which only one will play in the rotation. That makes no sense.

The only way picking Nanu made sense was if he were in the main rotation early and could save us the $6+ million in cap space and a roster spot.

In my opinion Morey's draft model needs tweaking. Especially in terms of big men and draft positioning.

In the 2016 draft I wanted one of Jarrod Uthoff, Kay Felder, Gary Payton II, and Zhou at Nanu's slot. One of those guards signed to a 4-yr minimum deal largely non-guaranteed would be very nice on our roster right now instead of Bobby Brown. Felder is better than Brown frankly. We were fortunate Zhou was still there with out later pick. Uthoff is tearing up gleague. He's too good for them. He'd be more beneficial on this roster, in our system, signed to a 4-year deal, than Nanu.

At the very least we should have traded the second pick for a future second and simply taken Zhou.

In 2015 I was screaming for Richuan Holmes with the Harrell pick. Holmes was worthy of being a first rounder in my valuation. I had him above Lyles, Portis, Nance jr, Mccullough, Harrell, Mickey, Hernangomez, and Christmas. We took Harrell, who was undersized and couldn't shoot.

IMO, when you get into the second round, you have to consider fits and if a guy is good enough to get in the rotation early. They grade out close enough together that you have to consider those things. That's why I say on a team like ours where we've got our main pieces you don't waste a roster spot on a project UNLESS they have elite potential. Your second rounders need to fit, have high bball iq, and have at least one great skill that makes them a plus in the rotation. Otherwise, trade the pick for a future pick and sign the undrafted free agents. It makes zero sense to spend a second round pick and a roster spot on a project that even if he turns out in three+ season's he's just a backup marginal player. Either get an immediate rotation player with potential to turn into more or draft and stash or trade the pick for a future pick. But for goodness sake don't waste the pick and the roster spot on a project that will be a backup/marginal starter IF he even turns out after 3+ seasons.

#98 basketballholic, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Brown is on the roster because he is hardens friend. Like james jones and lebron

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-ro...s-to-james-harden-bobby-brown-gets-his-chance

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Daddy Long Legs likes this.