1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 19, 2016.

1. basketballholic

If you're gonna call him by his nickname, get it right.

Montrezl "could've had Richaun Holmes" Harrell

Seriously, Holmes would be so handy for us right now coming up on the playoffs.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

didn't realize what a large NBA body Onuaku already has

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Did not like his performance against the Clippers. Rebounding was half-assed and rotations were lazy. Did not roll hard. There was one positive which is I liked how he handled getting switched onto smaller players. Overall though, was a rough game. Gotta have some of those when you're learning. Still have high hopes for him. He will be in the rotation at the very beginning of next season no doubt in my mind. Not ready right now though except for minimal spot duty.

Obito likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

highlight of the game was when punk-ass CP3 threw the ball at Nanu and Nanu threw it right back.

5. dmoneybangbang

Hopefully he improves to where he doesn't have to shot underhanded, but I utterly respect his commitment to winning basketball. Shaq and Howard could have been far more effective if they could shoot at least +70% ft and not get bogged down by "hack-a".

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I have the reverse opinion. I think more players should shoot this way. It's basically proven that it's a higher percentage shot. The stigma against it is silly I think.

7. dmoneybangbang

You're right, but the stigma is real and it would be a shame for this young player to be known for the "granny" shot.

8. basketballholic

You're right. dmoneybang worried about appearances and stigma over winning.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's very clear. He don't give a damn what other people think, and I like that. He won't be known for the granny shot if he develops into a good NBA player.

Also, nothing wrong with being known for the granny shot. Rick Barry is a hall of famer, and now gets paid to make commercials because of the granny shot. It didn't hurt his career in any way.

10. dmoneybangbang

Awww.... I thought we were buddies.

Clearly you missed where I said just a few posts above:

"...but I utterly respect his commitment to winning basketball. Shaq and Howard could have been far more effective if they could shoot at least +70% ft and not get bogged down by "hack-a".

alethios likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

More players shot that way back then and I've already evoked the great Rick Barry who also was a good all around shooter.

Look, I frankly don't care if shoots like that long term as it's not me the one out there. However, it's not like it's impossible or terribly difficult to shoot +70% without the granny shot.

12. basketballholic

We don't want nanu doing anything at the free throw line other than improving on the granny shot. Once he wins us a game with freebies he'll be all the rage.

13. alethios

alethios Member

I just like saying his name...
    [​IMG]

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. j@amc

j@amc Member

Onuaku was playing with a swagger in the D-League, at least until a few weeks ago. For a young player, I think he's hit the wall with the minutes he's been asked to put in. I think he also understands that he's not going to have consistent playing time. When you're the player put out there when the game isn't on the line, it can be hard to look good.

But he's turned a corner on understanding fouls which can be a difficult thing for a young big man.

Trust me, his passing, rebounding, and even ability to create his own shot is fairly startling. Onuaku does look super uncomfortable under the NBA spotlight, but with more game experience, you'll see his game as he comes into his own next year.

He's not a one-hit wonder (a kid who found a free throw stroke).

basketballholic likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Agreed.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bye Felicia

saleem likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who's up for the official appreciation thread? I'm too busy with the Melo threads.