1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

typical response. keep being impressed with 7/10 bigs you listed out of a possible 30 teams leading their teams to those losing records. some potential there for a few due to youth but still goes back to the lack of real depth at that C position for true star players

3. dmoneybangbang

I have. Still waiting on your stats.

4. dmoneybangbang

Not good defense this year, worst defense in 4 years for himself.

However, in today's basketball individual defensive numbers matter less because the schemes have evolved.

You basketball right?

5. basketballholic

Don't think we're done trying to get a big. Better watch Europe. Udoh may have an nba escape clause that he might be able to exercise at some point before our last game. Anthony Randolph out there. We need another big.

6. Fantasma Negro

Llull won't let Randolph do it lol. But that would be a way more impactful signing than Sanders would've been

#246 Fantasma Negro, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That has absolutely nothing to do with DeAndre playing great defense. No one is saying "Behold SuperStar DeAndre The Apex of Centers". Thats your own agenda you put in. Thats another thing on its own.

He's selected to those teams obviously because TEAM officials know a good defensive center and elite rebounder makes it easier for team defense. Good defenders can raise the level of team defense also. For wing defenders its not by their individual skill so much, its their APPROACH and commitment to defense can set an example for the others. They "captain" the defense.

saleem likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Don't really see the purpose of this post. Nothing I said in my post you quoted isn't true.

9. dmoneybangbang

We aren't getting another big unless one just falls into our lap. We missed on Gibson who we were targeting with clearing cap space and would have fit into nicely for 18-20mpg.

We are going to roll with small ball into the playoffs. Maybe Onuaku takes a step next season to where he can be a contributor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the end of the bench in the playoffs.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think this kid may have a future as well

Rocket River

bilaal14 and DonKnock like this.
  11. jogo

jogo Member

I didn't see the game last night. Why do you think he has a future, RR? Can you or anyone else say what you saw from him last night in limited minutes? And why did he play last night anyway? Thanks!

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I caught part of it . ..
    he seems athletic and has some good instincts.

Rocket River

13. opticon

opticon Member

I saw some flashes as well. He had a nice block and some impressive makes in the paint. I would not be shocked if we trade him though. With Capela, Nene and Harrel in the mix I don't see any room for him to get significant burn. If I was a GM around the league I would try and steal him for a first or an early second.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Harrel gets traded before him
    He has more height - Harrel's size is a part of his struggle.

Rocket River

KDavis likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets should continue to try and develop him. The off season will be very important. I would like to see him working with the Dream.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I can see this guy being some sort of poor (?) man Horford for us in the future, let's say...

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He was slow executing offense and defense but I guess that's to be expected given his level of experience. I don't think he put in a good defensive performance, I think he is just strong and the Pistons big men are not skilled.

I think he is an NBA starter though, he has the smarts. We desperately need a 4 or 5 who can pass from the high post and he could be our guy. He will be a really good rebounder and I think he will be a good defender. He showed some flashes which is good. He is not intimidated, but he is one of those people who play with their mind. Those types of players look ultra slow at the beginning of their careers, and you get the feeling their lack of athleticism is insurmountable. However, he thinks quicker than his opponent, rather than moving quicker. It is going to take him a while to observe and process and take it all in and then it will click for him sooner that we think.

I see his game being very similar to Bogut actually.

18. Progs

Progs Member

Harrell is defiantly gone. Resign Nene short term. Rockets have 3 centers on the roster. They could also grab a veteran during the trade deadline if they have to or sooner. What can the Rockets get for Harrell, though ?!

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He looks like Dwight to me but not as Physically gifted as a young dwert. But he looks like he's more skilled.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

During the Phoenix game Bullard said that they wanted Trez to be a 4 next year and that he had been working on his 3. During that game Trez played all of his minutes at the 4 besides NeNe.

I wouldnt trade Onuaku because the guy is so young and I think you have to give him a chance to develop and see what you've got.

So I think there's a couple possibilities. Trez gets traded, Trez moves to the 4, Onuaku simply passes him on the depth chart, Onuaku spends another year as the last or second to last big on the roster. He's still so young so another year marinating may not be the worst thing.

With NeNe being on his way out I'd hold onto Onuaku. JMO.

Dankstronaut likes this.