1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku traded to Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Aug 1, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think roster spot would have been gained just by cutting him.

I think the TE has to be used on its own. You can't add it into deals.

Which is why, as noted, this was about saving money.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

You underestimate the entertainment value of the granny free throw.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Calm down, heyp. I'm as big a proponent of getting second round picks as anyone around here. This was an objectively smart trade with very little opportunity cost.

Yes, the cash limit has dropped down to about $3.7M. But the Rockets left that much on the table (as in, they didn't spend that much) from the 2017-18 pool.

Unless the Rockets REALLY drop off a cliff in 2019-20, that pick swap isn't going to hurt them much, either. If they drop from, say, 57 to 60, that's not a big deal.

To save ~$3.9M (or potentially a lot more, depending on how far into the tax the Rockets end up), this is a no-brainer.

Deckard, D-rock, Deuce and 11 others like this.
  4. 1234567

1234567 Member

Case closed

RyanB likes this.
  5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Vincent Edwards signed an NBA contract containing what is called an Exhibit 10. Exhibit 10 includes a maximum guarantee of $50,000 and allows a team to convert the contract to a two-way contract before the start of the regular season. Once converted, the contract (and the guarantee) will no longer count against the cap. The contract can later be converted back to a Standard NBA contract at any time prior to the end of the regular season.

Yes, I think more and more teams are trying to lock up their second rounders (at least the ones in the early to mid-second round) to longer-term deals. It's easier for the teams with cap room to do it. Over-the-cap teams need to dip into their MLE, as the Rockets have done many times in the past and will likely do with Melton.

D-rock, Richie_Rich and DonKnock like this.
  6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

So if Edwards was included in a trade right now, he'd only count for $50k for salary-matching purposes. Could we fully guarantee his contract right before dealing him?

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i was assuming it made sense just to free up an extra roster spot. Given that there are still guys out there better than Onuaku that would sign for the minimum and potentially have a chance to contribute to this team. Is that a factor too?

roslolian likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Conviction and calm can co-exist. Talking moves is always fun, no?

There is nothing good in this move for Morey wrt team building vs waiving. I don't care about minor tax savings when it means dipping into a cash asset pool for essentially paying taxes.

To waive and save $1.5m for future asset buying is a no-brainer.

#168 heypartner, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They could have freed up the roster spot by cutting him outright.

But doing so would not have eliminated the salary counting towards the cap.

roslolian likes this.
  10. heypartner

Waiving achieves that, too, and you don't have to dip into our Cash Considerations Asset Pool to do it.

11. heypartner

It's not about saving money if we look at it from an asset management standpoint.

We save on taxes, but we had to pay Cuban from a cash asset pool to achieve it. We robbed from Peter (the cash asset pool) to pay Paul (the tax man). One is 35% of a CBA Asset tool not saved, the other is a minor drop in the bucket of team salary savings, and does nothing to make the team better this year.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

No, I knew that the Rockets would try to trade him rather than just waive him. Unlikely that an owner would want to lose 5-6 million dollars.

I figured we would give a team cash and a #2 or maybe two #2’s to take him. With the Rockets likely to be paying the luxury tax and possibly the repeater tax; that 5-6 million may start to matter.

I would have been surprised if he had been outright released.

Deuce likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

That is true if TF is willing to keep spending money. My “hope” is that the TF keeps the Anderson contract in play (I.e. traded for an asset/assets equal in salary) so the Rockets can use that contract space in play the next couple years. That would mean luxury tax consequences so, moving a swapped #2 to save 6 million may be better for the bottom line.”

Deuce likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

There are limits to what TF will spend. If there were no limits, Ariza would still be a Rocket. So with there being a limit, this was likely a smart move.

DonKnock and roslolian like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont really have a problem with it, frees up a roster spot to sign Deng.

Winning is important but $$$ is important too. Trading away a scrub saves the owner 5M, its not like the owner uses up the entire cash pool every year. Everything needs to be accounted for and in this case the financial benefit weighs a lot more than the basketball benefit.

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

The only “advantage” I can see isn’t financial. This money opens an opportunity to add to today’s roster. Maybe we need that for the Anderson maneuver that’s coming (post official Melo signing).

18. Know Your Role

Has he magically become a useful player and I was unaware? I figured if he had anything to offer we would of kept him.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I hope that also.

The Ryno contract is the only thing that can improve the team at this point.

If we shed his salary for nothing it’s not like we magically have 20m to sign someone, that ships sailed this past offseason.

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If the Rockets are trading Ryno having to take on extra salary/longer term contract then this deal makes perfect sense. Rockets are tryng to win right tf now. They dont give a damn about a cash pool. These people have cash coming out their ass. Its time to win a championship. THIS season.