1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku traded to Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Aug 1, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

1.54 M, the equivalent of Onuaku's salary.

Deckard likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Summer League 2016
    Summer League 2017
    Summer League 2018
    =
    3 years

New math! :)

Seriously, the dude should have been noticeable in summer league this year, his third time around. But he wasn't, he was just kind of... there. Maybe 1 or 2 decent plays per game. Not enough to warrant a roster spot.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Late to the party, but good to hear.

I never saw anything more than a fringe NBA player and I'm sure he will welcome the change of scenery.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Hahah @ New Math

Oh well we had 5 centers anyways so he had to go.

5. Rocketsfan3422

Anyone tell me why Morey did this? How does it benifit us? Please no answers " we moved the worst player ever" I'm serious, why?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, it's like this
    • You waive him, pay him $1.5m salary, but keep your full $5.2m cash to use on buying draft picks
    • Trade him, you save $3.5m in salary/tax, but reduce cash pool by $1.5m (30% less to bid on picks)
    There is a tangible loss in assets here. The cash pool is a CBA asset, easily convertible to picks, and it has a max limit you can spend each year.

In the end, there is no harm unless Morey actually misses out on buying a pick by not having enough to spend. But is $3.5m tax saved really enough of a win vs the risk of being outbid on a draft pick like Jordan Bell, given GSW doesn't blink at that tax ****.

Keep in mind, GSW is looking to buy picks every year, and will spend the max allowed, which is 30% more than we can spend now. Jordan Bell, Rudy Gobert and the Llull pick were all bought with cash...and cash always goes to the highest bidder. (Gobert was the 27th pick, traded for cash and the #46th pick). These are not the only ones, just high profile. Morey is notorious for buying picks.

#206 heypartner, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    D-rock, hakeem94 and dlite316 like this.
  7. heypartner

Cashing in the TPE defeats the whole purpose of reducing salary to save on taxes. And the only benefit would be finding a $1.5m player in trade (using up a roster spot) vs our already available MLE and Min Exceptions to use on buyouts and free agents.

The TPE is insignificant here and will likely go unused.

8. hvic

hvic Member

No one started a onuaku appreciation thread bc everyone is stuck in melo drama

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. heypartner

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

There's a whole thread on it... why it's the thread yer in... lol...
    It was a move to save on luxury tax.... shipping nanu and 1.5M saved like 5M or 6M... the exact number is mentioned a few times in the thread... just find the posts by BimaThug. :)

#210 kjayp, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  11. heypartner

It doesn't save Tilman $5m. It saves him $3.5m. Bima hasn't been subtracting out the $1.5m, because his focus is on reporting the reduction in salary and tax.

But money out of pocket works like this:

$5m in salary and tax (had Tilman kept Onuaku)
    - $1.5m he paid Cuban
    -------------------------
    = $3.5m
    Note also, this is just an estimate. Since taxes are calculated at EOY, number likely will go down more, if Morey purges more salary.

#211 heypartner, Aug 2, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  12. kjayp

c'mon man...
    4/160M
    5/80-90M
    ...and yer really gonna sweat the man over 1.5M in cash pool money to save himself 5-6M or whatever amount ...and as Bima mentioned, we didn't even use the full amount last year...

We could be missing the next Jordan Bell? yeh, that draft pick could also be the next Chinau - who we just paid someone to get rid of... lol! ...and that Llull purchase is really paying dividends - at least it give CFers something to add to their poopoo platter that they're gonna trade for a star... lol ;)

#212 kjayp, Aug 2, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

So we don't get anything out this? (Just luxury tax savings). 37th overall pick turned into nothing?

14. heypartner

I'm just correcting the number. Do you mind if a correct the number ... you like shell games, right? :)

Tilman is saving $3.5m in this deal.

Quit saying Tilman is saving $5m, when he's sending out $1.5m to do it. And that $3.5m tax number could drop, if Morey purges more salary.

15. kjayp

Hey man, idc if all he got was a 2 for 1 coupon for the Sizzler...
    his money... both sending out with Chinanu and anything spent on future draft picks...
    he's stepped up like a big dog this off season...
    i got no complaints on this...
    :)
    lol

16. heypartner

Stepping up like a big dog? What would you call him if he kept Ariza, too. Is that "Stepping up like a really, really big dog?" :)

I have no real complaints, either. I cringed at losing Ariza. But I'm over it...that's a huge savings. Maybe GSW and Cuban even let Ariza walk vs that one yr bill to "Run it Back." I just wouldn't have bothered with another $3.5m savings versus preserving Morey's entire spending cash.

To me, it's a non-argument to assess whether Morey's cash expenditures like Llull or putting the NG-Bro Band together paid dividends, the point is that Morey likes to have it (he's said that many times), and he finds clever ways to use it on buying things, not to give Cuban to pay Onuaku's salary to save taxes.

Would Morey really say, "I'm happy to have finally found a trade partner and closed this deal. It's been in the works for awhile. We consider it another incremental, smart move to make the team better." or would he say, "Sometimes we have to do things for business reasons alone. Did I want to give Cuban $1.5m of my cash reserve vs keeping it in my back pocket? Well...uh...umm. Fans actually might see lower prices at the concessions stands because of this, and other promotions to get in their seats earlier."

So just think, when we continue the discussion on Concessions Pricing, you can say any reduction in price was a shell game from saving money on Ariza and Onuaku. ;)

D-rock and kjayp like this.
  17. kjayp

I would have loved to have kept Ariza for at least another year... but given the price tag attached.... i can't complain... it would have been fiscally irresponsible to pay that... it's all about investment vs return...
    Honestly, had we paid Ariza that 15M + all taxes associated with it... I'd have been a little concerned that Tilman was spending money like a drunken sailor - cause that's when bad contracts happen...
    I also like that we didn't just rollover for CP3 or CC... both got well taken care of - but didn't just get a blank check... idk that we could have held either for anything less than was paid... no cheaper nachos from those contracts though... lol

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not the worst place to be as a young player but there are not that many players traded directly from Houston to Mavtown.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well now this is quite embarressing. morey already prematurely dumped lin to the fakers when he thought bosh was signing. and now once again we lose a valuable asset foolishly thinking melo would sign.

the valuable asset is the $1.5M spending cash not that bum nanu

20. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

This is a good trade for the Rockets. Dallas 2020 2nd Round pick will be between 31-35 which can net a 1st Round talent that slips.