1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-37] Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Chinanu Onuaku?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Text from scout: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> bringing in players who draft models loved. Onuaku, in particular.<br><br>Draft models: analytics, projects, etc.</p>&mdash; Rockets Insider (@Rockets_Insider) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rockets_Insider/status/746203692844482560">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What about Zhou?

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Zhou Qi was the top-rated prospect in my stats-only projections using his listed age (20). At 43, a worthwhile shot for the Rockets.</p>&mdash; Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) <a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/746185209201074176">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

So...another Clint Capela?

5. basketballholic

I said I would be shocked if we picked this kid project and I meant it. I'm shocked. Would rather have deafted a couple guys that went undrafted.

With that said, if we trade Capela this summer I can possibly understand the pick.

I do like this. If he sticks with the Rick Barry stuff he'll get up to around 70+% from the FT line. That'll be a huge plus.

As I stated earlier, his measurables are below average for an NBA center. He'll have to prove to me he's a quality defender/rebounder at the NBA level. Right now I don't see it. All I see here is another pedestrian back up center. And we couldve signed better backup vented with experience and ready to play for a little bit of nothing. So I'm not a fan. But if we trade Capela I'll understand the reason for picking him.

#105 basketballholic, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

MDA is goig to dominate the league for the next 5-10 years with Capela, Harrell, and Onuaku mark my words! All pick n roll players, with length, motor, and hige upside!!

7. htownking

htownking Member

I like this pick. NBA body, rebound+defense+hustle type guy who can finish. Obviously there are things he needs to work on. Can't complain in the 2nd round.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if its not an undersized pf, its an undersized c

9. jogo

jogo Member

I like this pick a lot. Defensive C who is young and can protect the rim. Passes well. Not bad, especially if he has athleticism to switch on the perimeter for D at times.

10. alethios

alethios Member

We seem to favor high-motor, defensive-minded players from Louisville.

11. Chamillionaire

Not many choices in the mid-2nd.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't get this pick. I don't think the Rockets get this pick.
    It's almost like they just woke up and pointed.

13. freckleslol

freckleslol Member

I really enjoyed Dean Demakis' take on Onuawu:

Using the BPM stat, Onuawu's freshman season was exceptional: it ranks fourth in the last six seasons, lagging behind just Anthony Davis, Karl Towns, Joel Embiid, and Nerlens Noel. Good company to be in!

Following closely are Cody Zeller, Marcus Smart, Steven Adams, Gorgui Dieng, D'Angelo Russell, and Ben Simmons. Not a lot of false positives there, although clearly the stat doesn't necessarily predict all the best players.

Demakis acknowledges there are clear reasons he might not be as good as BPM predicts. But certainly it's a very encouraging measure.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sLcHw8tysYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like him just for this

15. htownking

htownking Member

If he can shoot near 60% from the FT line (like he did last year), shooting underhand, I would be perfectly fine with it.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Clint can't pass...no short jumper...and his hook is still developing.

Not another Clint...

Those things are game changers because you can actually move the ball through him, and because he's a threat to do more than pass back out, the defense cant sleep on him.

17. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

You mean to tell me we could've had Stephen Zimmerman and that Jackson kid from ND and we passed on both?! #byefelicia

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

I like that he's tenacious on the boards like Trezz and that he isn't a complete nightmare if he has to switch on to smaller guys on the perimeter. Just the type of big body guy we need to back up Capela.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't get the posters laughing here the kid's underhanded ft mechanics:

HA-HA you're shooting 60-70% from the ft line!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

People always talk about wanting to have a player who has a heart of a champion, who will do what it takes to get the win. Well this guy is doing it, I care if he uses his lips to shoot fts as long as the ball goes in the damn hoop.

A defensive big man with a high motor, I like it a lot! Montrezl was only projected a low 2nd rounder but played like a mid-1st rounder due to his intangibles, I expect the same from this dude. I think he's a total steal and will be pretty good for us in a couple of years.

20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

is it just me or does his game look like Deandre jordan? with better passing skills.