1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-37] Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Chinanu Onuaku?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. RocketNRoll

RocketNRoll Member

I watched 3 summer league games and imo he should have stayed in school. Hopefully, he develops in the D League.

2. basketballholic

I'm beginning to wonder if we drafted this kid for another team. Haven't signed him. Have the cap space to do so. Have supposedly committed to GPIII for 3 years. I believe Berman reported 3 year deal for GPIII. And Berman is rarely off. Just wondering if this kid is somebody else's property.

#182 basketballholic, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Not only does this guy suck, Luis Scola gets off the ground better than this chump.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Bball- Why wouldn't we have dealt him already? Just curious.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wishful thinking. It was just a bad pick, it happens. Unfortunately it happened to us this time.

6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Calm down now... Dekkar had a year to assimilate and he is lookin pretty good now. Gove the kids a chance to grow man dang...

7. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Just a bad pick? It happens?

These guys were available:

Demetrius Jackson
    Joel Bolomboy
    Isiah Whitehead
    Patrick McCaw
    Kay Felder

Every man and his dog on this board was suggesting one of these guys. The front office is beyond a joke.

1 person likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's showing signs of being lost on defense, which was why we picked him.

Weird and abnormal things like spinning the wrong direction when rotating or following a man rolling to the basket. Stuff where he'll easily lose his man or not notice cutters.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Our front office is anti-mainstream. it is known.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

He was a second round pick.... People need to get a grip.

I have no idea if he will be a long term NBA player but I do know they Rockets didn't take him with a high pick.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He is 19yr old, though. There are draft boards who had him above each player Cashmoney listed. So, we don't know how they'll turn out.

I really question Demetrius Jackson's ability to make it as a PG in this league.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I wish I were (I think so, anyway). I'm not. Sure hope he has a better, longer future than I... ;)

13. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Read my post above, all of those guys will carve out nice NBA careees. They were no brainer selections.

Apologist.

So because it was a second round pick it's completely okay that they screwed the pooch yet again?

14. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Which draft boards were those? I have to admit I only frequented Draftexpress but Jackson was projected as a first round pick (around 20-21).

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You would think a online basketball forum would have more edjucated fans then not, few people are such avid fans that they join a forum

You don't judge rookies until the 2nd or 3rd season (if healthy).

This is a young raw big man, 19/20 years old, he's raw, he's got a nba ready big body and great mobility. You have to give him time.

I mean did you guys not the Capela's transformation? He looked like tue worst player I ever seen play in my life in his few minutes on the court until late in his rookie season. He got absolutely abused and man handled in garbage tike by scrubs, he missed his first 20 field goals or something crazy like that. He truly looked awful.

But in the snap of a finger at the end of his rookie year, he got it. He had a great game against the Raptors and just kept improving from that game forward.

Onuku has the physical tools, he has the mobility, give him at minimum one season until yall start talking ****. Same for Dekker who is about to have his real rookie season, same for Qi when he comes over.

16. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

That's fair enough and I agree for the most part: as long as you hold his production against players which were also available with our pick.

17. basketballholic

Dunno. Maybe we're generating a bigger trade and going to fold him into it? I dunno. It's just a theory. It would make more sense for him to go to a bad team that is short on bigs so they could develop him on the fly while they are losing anyways. He's not going to play here. Yet he's going to occupy a roster spot that we might need later in the season?

I just don't understand the pick. I see no sense in drafting a project like this that has no chance to contribute and if he develops will likely just develop into a pedestrian backup big a couple years down the road. For Pete's sake, if we are going to draft a project to develop then why not draft someone with crazy size or athleticism or some elite skill but with a deficiency to their game that has to be improved for them to crack a rotation. Why just draft a big blob of mediocre everything that at best is going to develop into a mediocre big blob of big blobness.

Morey is smarter than this. Of our two picks that we made I would have thought he would have drafted Qi before this kid and then waited to see what was available with the later pick.

I do not understand this pick. I can't believe he was the top guy on Morey's board. So I'm wondering if Morey drafted him for somebody else and he's waiting to trade him in some convoluted multi-team trade.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think its unreasonable to blame Morey for missing out on player X out of the 20+ picks that went after ours. The 2nd round is crap shoot, all of the players have flaws and question marks.

Most second round picks are out of the league within like 5 or so years. Id judge a rookie based on his production compared to where he's picked, not compared to the best player picked after him. If Onuaku stays in the league for 10 years he' automatically a solid pick.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone remember the difference between summer league Tarik Black and rookie training camp Tarick Black?

Nanu has been terrible... There's no doubt. But I don't take much stock in Summer League honestly. The fact is he wasn't drafted to be ready for Summer League. He will have a two year chance to win minutes and prove he's worth a damn. From a physical standpoint alone he was probably worth a second rounder.

Let's see what kind of player he is coming into camp and his first few stints in the DLeague.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

All of whom have yet to play a second of NBA basketball. I'm not sure what you're bashing the front office for at this point.