1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China vs USA

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by TracyMcgradyMVP, Aug 5, 2008.

1. boby

boby Member

How does it sound like of the guy who uses player' name as his handle?

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

b/c it's a SPORTS forum.

3. boby

boby Member

Exactly.

4. Asian Sensation

Will there be a replay of this game?

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I am not fan of Dwight, but I think he can still be better than average after his athletcism fades.

He's not a strictly athleticism only player, he does things that are with skill and wit...he is improving every year and he has certain intangibles in his game.

I think he has more intangibles than both Bynum and Amare. Unlike Amare, he does put great effort into his defense, more so. While, Bynum is just not on that level, yet. He doesn't have the same pull Howard does, I don't think Bynum could win by himself or keep a team competitive, like Dwight could.

6. bloop

bloop Member

What's up with the personal attacks? You dont know me, if you did you'd know that talking to me like that when you dont know me on the street would get you a drop kick to the head.

Work on your reading comprehension with your punk self too. Why are you posting about Yao walking off the court when I'm posting about Yi being **** as a player.

7. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

China should be like Russia and buy US players especially guards into their national team. If spending 300billion on olympics venue is done, I dont see how hard it would be for China to sign some allstar players in the US with big cash.

8. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

What he did??? :confused:

Get 2 boards and get his shoot blocked 3 times.

9. Starscream

Starscream Member

China is not going to do that. They care about beating the US in terms of Olmypic medals Gold in particular. BB counts only as one medal. It aint economical to spend millions on acquiring foreign players when u only get one medal in BB. Plus China has pride and honor, it rather would like to win based on chinese players rather than foreign rentals.

They hired a foreign coach which is good enough for them.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If China wants a quick upgrade for their team ahead of the 2010 World Championship, they need to get a PG who can beat the press:

[​IMG]

They can also use some strong physical defenders. I believe this guy has already volunteered to play for the Chinese National Team if his Rockets teammate calls on him.

[​IMG]

He volunteered for Team USA duty and was turned down. Kobe, Wade, etc. do not want to see a pissed off Ron Artest.

This guy, too, is employed as a shoe saleman by the men who lit the cauldron for the Beijing Olympics and might be useful:

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of his boss:

[​IMG]

The current players are tall enough, just not very quick or very strong. Seems that the sports schools decided only to take the tall guys, and sent all the shorter but quick and muscular types to the gymnastics programs.

[​IMG]

11. benvolio

benvolio Member

I was suprised how poorly Kobe played...I thought he made the poorest decisions of any of the Americans. 1/7 from downtown :(

BronBron was unreal!!! By far the best player on the court today.

D-Wade was most effeciate...a perfect game on the offensive end. Heat fans must be happy....just good to see him back to his old self.

12. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

but you need to be a citizen

13. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

haha well, I did say it was ALL Shaq, because in my mind he was the main reason and not Kobe, the fact that Shaq left Lakers and won a championship (albeit riding Wade's coattails) but Kobe couldn't even get out of the first round further proves my point. Anyways regardless, I will agree with you that it is team effort, so don't use that as a point that Kobe is better. The same way that someone like Pippen (who had Jordan, like Kobe had Shaq) winning 6 championships does not make him better than either Kobe or Lebron obviously.

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Haha, aight good point. Deal, truce, agree to disagree, GO ROCKETS.

15. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I generally agree with you, but I wish the guy just had a few decent finesse post moves. It would make him so much fun to watch.

16. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Yi struggles against Team USA defense

EIJING -- No matter how uptight or nervous folks back in America must have felt when this thing was staying too close for too long, there's a decent chance that 999,999,999 people around the world weren't feeling quite the emotions that had to be gripping Rod Thorn.

The longtime USA Basketball executive whose tenure with the national program dates back to the Dream Team days, Thorn probably couldn't believe his eyes midway through the second quarter when the Americans were 1-for-12 from 3-point range -- compared to China's 7-for-11 -- and were ahead just three points, 35-32.

But what had to make Thorn choke on his Cheerios even more Sunday morning back in the States was the sight of his newest prize acquisition, Yi Jianlian, looking even worse than those smog-filled panoramas you keep seeing on the broadcasts out of Beijing.

Six times Yi put the ball in the air, and six times he missed. Take away that 0-for-6 first half, and the Chinese were just one made bucket away from shooting 50 percent from the field.

And somewhere, former U.S. Olympian Richard Jefferson had to shake his head wondering how in the wide, weird world he was traded for someone who looked so lost on such a massive stage.

Yi, to put it politely, looked horrible before salvaging a little respect with a late offensive flurry in the fourth quarter after the Americans' 101-70 victory had long been decided.

"Maybe our biggest mistake was thinking this would continue, because we got nervous, we made mistakes," China coach Jonas Kazlauskas said. "Some players hesitated too much, and we lost control."

That they did, and the Americans' relentless pressure finally cracked the Chinese midway through that second quarter after they had stunned the crowd and a worldwide audience estimated at 1 billion -- the largest ever to watch a basketball game -- by staying even with Team USA for the first 15 minutes of play.

And the first to crack was Yi, who lost the ball on a trap that led to a dunk by Kobe Bryant to make it 35-29 before Li Nan hit a 3 to get China within three points for the final time.

Over the course of the next minute and a half, Yi had an unsportsmanlike foul and a missed 3 before Kazlauskas yanked him.

The deficit was 14 by the time Yi slammed in a miss early in the third quarter for his first bucket, but that came one play after Dwight Howard easily bodied Yi out of the way to make room for Bryant to throw down one of Team USA's many, many dunks.

Yao Ming was visibly upset at Yi after he broke off a set play and tried to force-feed Yao in the low post, the ball sailing straight out of bounds. Yao gestured at Yi that he should have thrown the ball to an open teammate at the 3-point line.

Yi exited with China down 53-39, replacing Yao later in the third quarter with the deficit at 19 after Yao appeared to aggravate his foot injury and was slumped over cringing in pain. My notebook for the rest of the quarter reads like this:

Yi misses 3. Yi misses 2-on-2 fast break, Yi fouls Chris Bosh with a hard slap that could be heard in the upper deck, Yi stands stationary as sloppy pass leads to Kobe fast-break dunk. 71-48.

Yi's final line read 4-for-13 for nine points with three rebounds, three fouls and two turnovers, with two missed free throws and four misses in four attempts from 3-point range.

Remember that rookie wall he hit back in February? Back before the Milwaukee Bucks got rid of him?

He's still hitting it.

"You know, what I did see from him in the fourth quarter was resilience. He struggled, but he was still being aggressive. And as a young player you like to see that out of him. He has a lot of growing to do, but he's going to be terrific," Michael Redd said afterward of his former Bucks teammate, who he described as a nice, Americanized kid already well-versed in U.S. street lingo.

To which I responded, "Well, you guys got the better of that trade."

To which Redd quickly responded: "We did, oh we did, we did, we did, we did. We're happy, no question." (I played the tape back five times to make sure I had an accurate count of "we dids.")

And somewhere back in the States, we're guessing a certain president of a certain team whose relocation date to Brooklyn grows ever more uncertain … well, we're fairly certain he turned off his TV Sunday morning having a hard time feeling good about what he watched from Beijing -- no matter how happy he was for his old friends on the staff of USA Basketball

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USAChina-080810

17. RayCheung

RayCheung Member

i am Chinese.i think Chinese basketball is much better than Chinese football.
    We can not expect too much on Chinese basketball.They will try their best.They will get good result.Trust them!And i also believe US will get Champion.(sorry,my English is not very good)

18. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

19. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

you are quite good, keep it up

20. laowan

laowan Member

My Prediction:
    Yao Ming would block Howard
    Sun Yue would block Bryant
    Reality:
    Howard got blocked by Sun Yue