1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chilis, Soups, Stews, Gumbos

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's that time of the year again, at least in my area, where the temperature drops and nothing is better than a big hot bowl of (take your pick).

I'm looking for recipes for all of the listed except for chili because I already got a very good one from this message board (thanks RMTex). I still use that one throughout the year. :)

I believe somebody listed a gumbo recipe recipe once and I have looked at several. man, the roux looks like a pain to make as every recipe I have seen call for no less than an hour of cooking it and you have to stand there and stir and stir. I realize though that the roux is the most important aspect of gumbo, in some people's eyes anyway.

One thing that I have always wondered about soups and stews is how do you get that thick brown gravy-like sauce in beef soups and stews? The people here in Arkansas prepare their beef stews and soups with a tomato juice/sauce base. Although tasty, I prefer the other type.

Well, please list any and all recipes. I should have a good 3-4 months to try them all out. Thanks!

2. Fatty FatBastard

Roux? Just use this stuff. Makes gumbo MUCH easier.

[​IMG]

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

You are WELCOME!! :D

Yes, if you are making gumbo from scratch, be prepared to stand in front of the stove stirring the roux for 1-1.5 hours. I place an old penny on the countertop and don't stop stirring until the roux is the color of the penny.

To get a brown liquid gravy for something like beef stew, use a little beef broth and some worcestershire sauce, and let it simmer for a couple of hours.

And DON'T use the roux in a jar. Tastes like a dead dog's ass. :D

4. Lil Pun

Yeah, probably the only bad thing about making gumbo is the time it takes to make the roux. How do you make yours anyway?

So using this will get the thickening of the liquid desired?

I've been told by multiple people to stay away from that stuff. :D

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I love gumbo! Surprisingly, I think Captain D's is better than Red Lobster's. :eek: :eek:

6. Fatty FatBastard

Absolutely incorrect with the one I posted. I had some cajun show me this stuff a few years ago. I haven't made a roux myself since.

Seriously, try Kary's first. Then get back to me. Hell, I'll pay for the entire batch if you hate it.

(You won't though.)

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

1/4 cup of white flour & 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Stir constantly over low heat for 1-1.5 hours.

It should. If not, add a teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved into a 1/4 cup of water.

I never liked it, although now that Fatty has called me out, I might have to try that brand.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Do you mind re-posting RMTex's chili recipe (or a link)? I think I'm going to do a chili tomorrow, and I wouldn't mind trying a new recipe.

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

The woman who watches my kids/cleans home will cook Caldo (soup) for me whenever I ask her to. This is the perfect time to eat it. I dont know how she makes it but I'll ask her to write it down for me. Good stuff.

10. Lil Pun

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=1485241&postcount=2

I didn't use his exact recipe, I added some things to mine to make it different but I based my recipe on his so I still give him credit.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

That stuff's gross.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Happy 3000!

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

14. droxford

droxford Member

15. Lil Pun

Ugh, that crap has beans. No thanks.

16. droxford

droxford Member

Or, you can try it the way Justin Wilson did it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK4umRMJlrs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK4umRMJlrs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

No seafood? :confused:

18. Lil Pun

Hmmm, that gumbo recipe pictured says the roux only take about 10 minutes to cook. I guess you can make roux quicker if you apply higher heat but you run the risk of it burning easily. Is that the rule with roux?

Also it doesn't have shrimp, crawdads, oysters, etc. :confused:

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

20. droxford

droxford Member

That recipe is for a chicken and sausage gumbo, not a seafood gumbo.

Yup - that's the thing with roux: if you cook it with too much heat, it burns.