1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHICKENSH!T]Omar Minaya Fires Willie Randolph In the Middle of the Night!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

After this debacle, is there any wonder why the Mets, and specifically Omar Minaya are such pathetic jokes?

Mets fire Randolph; Peterson, Nieto also dismissed
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 17, 2008, 1:32 PM ET

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- After weeks of speculation that his job was in jeopardy, Willie Randolph finally got fired by the New York Mets while most fans were sleeping.

Randolph was let go in the middle of the night Tuesday, 2½ months into a disappointing season that has followed the team's colossal collapse last September.

Bench coach Jerry Manuel takes over on an interim basis for Randolph, who led the Mets to within one win of the 2006 World Series. They got off to a strong start again last year but plummeted down the stretch and have been unable to rebound.

A preseason favorite to win the NL pennant, the $138 million Mets (34-35) had won two in a row when Randolph was dismissed early Tuesday morning --making him the first big league manager to get fired this season.

Pitching coach Rick Peterson and first-base coach Tom Nieto also were cut loose in an enormous overhaul that was revealed in a fact-of-the-matter news release at a stunning time -- about 3:15 a.m. ET, nearly two hours after New York's 9-6 victory over the Los Angeles Angels.

Ken Oberkfell, the club's manager at Triple-A New Orleans, and Dan Warthen, pitching coach for the Zephyrs, will join the major league staff along with Luis Aguayo, a Mets field coordinator.

A message left for general manager Omar Minaya was not immediately returned. The Mets said Minaya and Manuel would be available to reporters at Angel Stadium at 5 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

Mets owner Fred Wilpon told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand that the decision to fire Willie Randolph and his coaches and the timing of the move were solely Minaya's.

"Omar is in charge," Wilpon told 1050 ESPN New York Tuesday morning. "It was his decision. He made that decision a short time ago, obviously, and decided what to do. You have to ask Omar about that."

Wilpon declined to answer any further questions.

Wilpon's son, team chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, declined comment through a spokesman, 1050 ESPN New York reported.

Reached by phone nearly three hours after Monday's game, Mets utility man Marlon Anderson said he didn't know that Randolph had been fired and he didn't want to comment until he heard the news from a member of the team.

"Not tonight," Anderson said.

It was a frustrating end for the 53-year-old Randolph, who was set to be an NL coach at the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium next month.

Signed through the 2009 season, Randolph won't be able to move with the Mets into new Citi Field next year, either. He was slated to earn $2 million this season and is owed $2.25 million in 2009.

Now, the 54-year-old Manuel takes over a squad that still has playoff aspirations. He's had success before, too.

Quiet and confident, Manuel managed the Chicago White Sox from 1998 to 2003, winning AL Manager of the Year in 2000 after guiding his club to the league's best record (95-67).

He steps in for Randolph, known for his exceptionally steady play as a six-time All-Star second baseman and even-keel demeanor as a coach with the Yankees.

Yet Randolph's time in charge of the Mets was marked by highs and lows from the get-go.

Hired by Minaya to replace Art Howe for the 2005 season, Randolph lost his first five games as a major league manager, then won the next six.

He nearly guided the Mets into the 2006 World Series, losing Game 7 of the NLCS to St. Louis on Yadier Molina's tiebreaking home run in the ninth inning.

The Mets and their fans were convinced 2007 would be their year. Poised for a big run, what followed was one of the biggest collapses in baseball history: Leading the NL East by seven games on Sept. 12, the Mets lost 12 of their last 17 and missed the playoffs as Philadelphia rallied to win the division title.

Several times, Randolph tried to separate last season's failure and this season's struggle.

"I really felt we put last year behind us," he said last month. "Any pressure we feel is because of staying in the mix and not reverting back to last year. I don't sense that at all. No one ever talks about it, no one ever brings it up, so if we are looking a little like we were last year, there's no correlation."

Many Mets watchers, however, felt there was a carry-over effect. Injuries to Pedro Martinez, Moises Alou and Ryan Church, another down year by Carlos Delgado and a sudden slump by closer Billy Wagner didn't help.

With each stretch of inconsistent play, chants of "Fire Willie!" grew louder at Shea Stadium and on New York's sports talk radio stations.

Despite a $138 million payroll, the highest in the National League, and the offseason addition of ace pitcher Johan Santana, the Mets never found their groove. Even when things briefly went their way, Randolph caused trouble.

Coming off an uplifting, two-game sweep at Yankee Stadium in mid-May, the first black manager in New York baseball history created a stir by suggesting in a newspaper interview that he was portrayed on Mets broadcasts differently than a white manager might be.

Randolph brought up the race issue as he detailed the way he's been shown by SNY, the team's TV network.

"Is it racial?" Randolph was quoted. "Huh? It smells a little bit. … I don't know how to put my finger on it, but I think there's something there."

A couple of days later, Randolph apologized to Mets ownership, SNY and his players "for the unnecessary distraction" he'd created.

Late last month, Randolph got a temporary reprieve when he met with ownership.

"Willie's job was never in danger going into this meeting," Minaya said after the session. "Willie has my support. He has the support of our ownership. … There is no limbo period. Willie is the manager."

But no promises for the future were made.

Raised in Brooklyn, Randolph enjoyed many of his favorite and finest moments in the Bronx.

He played for the Yankees from 1976 to '88 and was a member of two World Series championship teams.

Surrounded by stars Reggie Jackson and Thurman Munson, characters Sparky Lyle and Mickey Rivers, and volatile George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin, Randolph merely went about his business. He was a good fit in pinstripes, and later became a Yankees co-captain.

Randolph batted .276 lifetime -- he got 2,210 hits in 2,202 games -- and never made an error in his 47 postseason appearances.

After finishing his playing career with the Mets in 1992, Randolph served as an assistant GM with the Yankees in 1993. The next year, he moved back onto the field and became their third-base coach, a post he held for 10 seasons.

He was part of the Yankees team that won four World Series titles, and was manager Joe Torre's bench coach in 2004. Before landing the Mets job, Randolph said he interviewed unsuccessfully for 11 or 12 managerial openings.

Randolph had Torre's full backing for the move over to Queens and they remained friends, filming a series of popular local TV commercials together.

Randolph was hired in November 2004 and, boosted by the addition of Carlos Beltran and Martinez, the Mets showed immediate improvement. They went 83-79 in his first year, stopping a slide of three straight dismal seasons.

The Mets did far better the next year, tying the crosstown Yankees for baseball's best regular-season record (97-65) and winning the NL East for the first time since 1988.

Making their first playoff appearance in six years, the Mets swept the Dodgers in the first round despite an injury-depleted pitching staff and went into the NLCS against the Cardinals with high expectations -- those ended in Game 7.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3447973

I have made no secret about my dislike for the Mets here, but damn, Willie Randolph deserved better than this! Managers and coaches get fired all the time but to get fired after your team had won 2 straight, after you boarded a plane to go out west, and at 3:15 in the freaking morning (Eastern time) is absolutely gutless and reeks of the action of a coward. Omar Minaya is a grade A ******* for this move. I love how the Wilpons are just as cowardly as Omar in not wanting to take any accountability for this mess. Hey dumbasses, it's your team - not Minaya's, how about getting up off your asses and doing things the right way. You can start by getting rid of the person who is really behind the mess that is the New York Mets - Omar Minaya. Maybe they will take a page out of his book and fire him after the Mets have won about 5 or 6 games in a row and do it around 4 in the morning - would serve the b*stard right.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Besides making the lineups, what do managers really do? It seems silly to fire them so willy nilly. It's not like basketball or football where there are plays to be called...I mean you either make the hit or catch or you don't...

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I thought this was pretty dumb as well.

4. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Minaya needs to go soon. He put together this team and after this long, still haven't put together a good pitching staff.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I nearly spit out my coffee this morning when I heard this.

Then I realized that I don't care.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Wow, only in baseball could a team like the Mets with 3x the payroll and a better player at nearly every position still have the same record as my beloved Pirates.

Let me tell you how sorry I feel for Randolph, Minaya and everybody else..... :rolleyes:

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, yea, I know, I know the enmity against MLB teams from big markets - spare me the melodrama. Honestly, the only reason I posted this is that 1) the timing of the firing, and 2) the fact that they made the man get on a plane and go all the way to LA and then come to this decision after he's been out west for 1 day.

If this had been handled correctly (like Willie getting dismissed before the game on Saturday at a normal time), then you wouldn't hear anything from me about it.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Crazy...He didn't want to fire him on Memorial Day or Father's Day, but I guess in the middel of the night was much better...But once you get the "vote of confidence", your days are numbered...

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, I love when the Mets struggle.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You obviously do not know anything about baseball.

11. Apollo Creed

Pretty much. But instead of being a jerk, you could tell me of their importance. :rolleyes:

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Strategy meetings pregame to decide how to attack the starter and relief pitchers. The same goes with how to pitch to hitters.

Some managers/coaches call the pitches.

They position the fielders based on the pitch selection/pitcher/hitter.

They have to decide when/if to steal, to bunt, to hit and run, to take, to not steal, etc.

They have to manage their bullpen. Not only do they have to decide how "tired" a pitcher may be based on appearance, they have to take into account how often they have warmed up.

Decide on whether or not to pinch hit in close games, how long to leave in a starter, substitute a good defensive player for the good offensive player.

etc.

etc.

etc.

#12 bobrek, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

man, i love when jesus fails.

14. Apollo Creed

The majority of that stuff still seems like lineup issues, when to take players in or out, where to put them, whatever...

I watch baseball rather casually but it seems like their coaches are by far the least important out of the big 3.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

:D

the Mets broke my heart in 1986...i was all of 12 years old...i've loated that organization ever since.

i didn't realize the mets were your jesus. sorry for being so offensive! :)

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Me too. Ditto the Yankees. It makes reading the Sports page of the sunday New York Times so much more entertaining!

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Somebody has the be held accountable, and it will never be the players. hopefully this can be similar to when the astros fired jimy williams and went on that huge run.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

my mets fans friends have basically renounced them after this embarrassment.

Anyway I heard the guy from the Daily News saying this wasn't from Minaya but from Wilpons & their assistant Tony Bernazzardin or somethig like that and that Minaya is the next one to go.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Jajajajajaja!!!!!!!

The "Beltran" curse continues.

20. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

There's no good reasons to fire someone in the middle of the night unless he was drinking orrrr he really cares about the team and was swayed by a message board at 3am? Unless he was traveling overseas. Otherwise, extremely wierd timing. He couldn't even wait until the sun came up. He literally could not wait another minute.