1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chester Taylor or stick with the current backs?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pocketrocket81, Dec 27, 2009.

1. pocketrocket81

Chester Taylor is a unrestricted free agent in 2010 and is currently the backup for Adrian Petersen of the Minnesota Vikings.He is an all around good back that would be a starter on most teams in the NFL.I believe he would be a perfect fit for the Houston Texans.
    So do we stick with our current situation at runningback and hope that Steve Slaton returns to form? Or do we pass on a solid running back that would be a great addition to the Texans such as Chester Taylor? I know hindsight is 20/20 I just don't want to repeat another Cedric Benson misstep like we did this past year.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

For the right price, yes.

I thought we made an offer for Benson but he just chose Cincinnati.

3. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Sign him. He is an upgrade over chris brown.

4. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

My aunt that weighs about three bills, is an upgrade over Chris Brown. :p

I wouldn't mind if the Texans signed Taylor next year, the Texans running game is pathetic.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CT was a guy I would've traded for once the Vikes drafted AD, but it looks like the Vikes wanted the security of having him there in case Peterson got hurt. I'm sure there's still some thread left on his tires since he hasn't played all that much the past two or three years, and could definitely see a Taylor/Slaton combo (guarantee a receiving threat out of the backfield on every down!). Would also help open up their draftboard having him locked up before the draft. Pretty sure that C.J. Spiller won't be there when we pick (in the 20's hopefully) or that Toby Gerhart is worth that high of a pick.

Either way, they need to get the run game fixed next year. That's the one thing that let us down this year. We thought Schaub/Johnson/Daniels would be solid in the pass game and that the defense would improve as the season went on... I don't think anyone saw this happening to the ground attack though.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'd absolutely love to get Taylor in here along with Slaton..

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If we can get him cheap...sure.

#7 jev5555, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I kinda now agree, I was on the fence about getting a good free safety, corner or DT in draft (as a priority), but now we no longer have a below avg. team defense, Pollard has secured himself as the SS, our LB's are set, Glover has stepped up for the corner job over Dunta...Perhaps moving up for the next big time RB, might not be a total bad idea...

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'd prefer to draft a RB, with fairly fresh legs. Right now, unless Slaton's injury is much more substantial, I doubt the Texans are going to invest what Taylor might be offered on an older RB, when Slaton and even Foster are likely to be in the mix to also get carries, next season.

If Slaton is good to go, the Texans are less likely to go for a big ticket all around RB FA, so much as someone that would be a legit short yardage back.

We did, it is just that a lot of people think we didn't offer enough. Even though based on his history and lack of star level production before this season, it more then fair, but basically Benson and his agent took the Texans' offer showed it to the Bengals to top, which they did by a fairly small amount and one more season, so he went back to Cincinnati. Not much the Texans could do about it, but some folk just won't let it go because he is a local talent.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Chester the Molester would be an upgrade over Chris "4th Down" Brown.

But then again, that ain't saying much.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I respect Chester Taylor but I'd rather stick with this foster kid for next season. this year's running game was more about the oline injuries imo

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It seems we do better picking up unsigned/cut gems (foster and pollard) than going for the big name FAs (Green, Smith in the beginning, Moulds).

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've always been a Taylor fan, but he's now on the wrong side of 30. As others have said, I'd rather draft a RB in one of the first 2 rounds.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

the hell with all these stopgap solutions.

i suspect deangelo williams could be on the block in the offseason with only 1 year left on his contract and jonathan stewart developing into what they thought he was.

i'd give up a first rounder for him. can't think of a more perfect back to have here.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That would never happen.

Why don't people realize that the O line is a lot of the reason for the success of the Panther backs. Not saying at all that D Williams or Stewart aren't great and good backs but that line is really a monster when it comes to run blocking.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

might apply to the stewart. in no way does it apply to deangelo. he is a top 5 back in the league. lethal in open space and creates something out of nothing as well as anybody in the league.

17. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

i don't care if you have Sweetness in the backfield, no one is gaining yard witht the way the line played this year

18. tested911

tested911 Member

What about Moats??? I think he deserves the 2nd RB spot.