1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Checking in on Maarty Leunen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alethios, Feb 28, 2009.

1. alethios

alethios Member

First off, this is my first thread start, so be nice... :D

I was wondering about the Rockets' number 54 pick and did some searching. I found this player profile page on him, playing for Darussafaka C. Tires (Turkey).

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=TUR&PlayerID=66530

His stats aren't too bad either:
    Season: 2008-2009
    G MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST​
    19 32.2 12.4 47.2% 43.4% 78.4% 1.6 4.6 6.2 1.3 2.3 0.1 1.3​

I especially like his 43.4% on 46-106 3PT shooting.

I was wondering if when the Rockets were going to bring him back. Obviously he has contract with the Turkish team, but does anyone know if he'll be trying out this summer for a spot on the Rockets?

2. alethios

alethios Member

Oh, BTW, lock it if there's another thread like this already. thx

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't see a need for him for the time being. The Rockets already have Landry, Scola, Hayes, and Cook under contract. I did not see Leunen's summer league but it seems that a lot of posters around here were high on him due to his shooting touch and all around hustle.

Personally, I really don't see him coming down anytime soon since we have too many PF's under contract that are making above minimum.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

They will probably have him play on the summer league squad again and keep him overseas still. I am guessing he may get a chance to crack a training camp invite in 2 years. I think if the rockets bring him into camp and do not sign him they give up his rights

5. ty185

ty185 Member

IIRC, we now can predict pretty accurately some of the euro league stats that will or will not translate into NBA when a player comes over.

unfortunately, 3pt shooting is one of the stats that does NOT translate well... A farther 3pt line and a much more athletical defence in NBA will likely reduce a player's 3pt % significantly when they come over.

I distinctively remember a number of prominent euro players that's shooting 50% over in europe came over and was shooting around 40% in NBA 3pt range in the last couple of years.

All in all, I like the fact that maarty is playing decent in Turkey. But I'm not excited about his 43.4% shooting, yet. :)

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow....has anyone checked to see if DD is alive? why hasn't posted here yet?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am here, I love this thread....

I have a better Maarty Luenan stats link in my favorites

This guy is better than Brian Cook and would fit into an Adelman offense very well, he moves off the ball into open spaces like Scola does...very smart player.

I hope he comes over soon.

Great FIRST thread BTW.

DD

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

From the summer league... he is a decent athlete. Of course, not as athletic as Landry, but more than Scola.

If Cook doesn't pan out for us, than Maarty could be the one.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The one thing I wouldn't worry about is his 3 point shooting. This kid is just a slight step below steve novak in that area. My concern is his athleticism. I am not convinced he is better than Brian Cook at this stage. And even if he is Cook will excercise his player option right for a guaranteed contract next season. And one thing I am certain is the Rockets don't need another player like Cook on the squad even if he is slightly better.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am with DD on this. I think this kid is better than Cook, which doesn't say much. I agree that it doesn't make sense to keep both him and Cook on the squad. So they either trade Cook or let Leunen play in Europe for one more year and let Cook walk.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We do have a glut of power forwards and that would preclude seeing Leunen or Eliyahu in a Rockets/NBA uniform anytime soon.

Of course, Luis Scola is The Man. After that, Carl Landry is often out of the lineup, Dorsey is on Morey's S**t List, and Chuck is a good spot-minutes hustle-defender kind of guy.

Who knows? Leunen and/or Eliyahu might even have their rights traded to other teams this summer or whenever, but thanks for posting information on this guy.

12. joesr

joesr Member

hows his defense?

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Morey is infatuated in finding that spacing 4 that can actually contribute and be part of the rotation. Maybe Maarty can be it, but I'd like some vid of him playing professionally. I'm thinking Morey's model spacing 4 is a young Robert Horry type.

If I'm a betting man, Cook's expiring contract next year will be used alone or together to get that star player Morey was talking about.

14. joesr

joesr Member

when you say net year You mean 2k10 or this offseason?

because he has a PO

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah, next season will be his player option season, I'm sure he'll pick it up as soon as this season is over. Morey can deal him in the offseason or during the 09/10 season, depends on what is out there.

16. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Jumping onto a Leunen wagon already DD? What about the V-Span wagon :D .

17. worzel gummidge

Both play SF & PF. I think Eliyahu has a good chance of coming over this year. He's a free agent and is having a breakout year. They might bring him over now to avoid getting priced out in the future especially if one of the european powerhouses sign him.

18. alethios

alethios Member

(gushing)...thanks DD, that means a lot.

I saw a lot of promise in this kid during his summer league stint. I like players with his mentality. No one out-hustled him. I think he would fit in a lot of systems (maybe not a starter) because he's got a pure shot and can defend/rebound. Oh well, we'll probably end up losing him because we don't have a spot for him.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Brian Cook will keep Leunen from coming over. Cook will not get dealt all by himself, there's a chance he'll still be around after the next deadline like luther head. He'll need to get packaged with someone else. Rockets dont want to take on any contracts past 2010 either so why would they add beyond that?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dada faints...