1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Check this BS out

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DAROckets, Apr 12, 2002.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

St'Louis has a banner hanging in the stadium that says 2001 Co-Champion WTF ? ..... you losers were a wild card NOT co-champion of anything..it should have read "2001 charity case" :mad:

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm really surprised that a proud franchise like the Cards did this...it's not like they don't have other banners in there (like world champs banner!)...we were talking about whether or not they would do this the other day at work, and all of us thought it would be goofy if they did...but sure 'nuff!!

3. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

absolutely its BS.

Hey St Louis, the stros beat you nine games to eight you morons! Shake yourselves.

As Bill Brown said, "that is WEAK!."

4. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

That's pretty pathetic. :eek:

5. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

As much as I hate to say it, the Cardinals have a piece of the division title when they finish in a tie, whether they were beaten straight-up by the Astros or not. Say that St. Louis didn't have enough win to get that Wild Card, then, whether or not the Astros had a winning regular season record against them or not there would still be a one game playoff for the division title.

7. MadMax

Rocks -- yeah..but come on!! teams like the Cards shouldn't even fly Wild Card banners in their park. we're talking about a team that has won multiple world championships!! this isn't the colorado rockies with their lone little wild card pennant hanging up at Coors!!

And I would argue the division title was decided on the last game of the season...one team won and got the advantages of being a division winner...the other team lost and was forced to play as a wild card would play in the playoffs...they were the wild card team. End of story...

8. Major

Major Member

And I would argue the division title was decided on the last game of the season...one team won and got the advantages of being a division winner...the other team lost and was forced to play as a wild card would play in the playoffs...they were the wild card team. End of story...

But the problem is that this was done only for the sake of convenience. If the Mets had been the Wild-Card, we wouldn't have been Division Champions by virtue of the head-to-head series win. We would have still been forced to have a playoff game to determine who won the divison. Baseball doesn't use head-to-head records to determine anything, except in the rare case of assigning playoff positions to save the two teams the trouble of needing an extra game and eating up their offday.

It's silly, but that's just the way baseball is. I think all teams should play an odd number of games against other teams, and tiebreakers should always just be head-to-head records.

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I did not know that.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

While I was doing research for my fantasy team at the Cards official site, I came accross this childish thing Vina is doing, a diary of his season. He mentions that the Cards are trying to build on thier co-division championship year or something. Basically, the players feel pretty strongly that they are co-champs and not wild card chumps. Man I hate the Cards. There was an internet poll on espn or mlb.com about which teams make up the best rivalry, now I would expect to see Astros vs. Cards or maybe Astros vs. Cubs, but nooooooo, they put Cards vs. Cubs. That was BULLLLLLLLLLL Shnizit. I tell ya, we don't get no respect, ohhh.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Well, the Cards vs Cubs has been going on for over 100 years, so yeah, I think their rivalry is a bit bigger.

12. MadMax

and if my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle.

the Mets were not the wild card team...St. Louis was because they didn't beat the Astros. You're either the Wild Card team or you're division champion...you're not both...at least according to me!

this reminds me of the Canadian figure skating pair that got ripped off...to correct the problem, they gave them the gold but allowed the Russians to keep theirs too so they could feel good about themselves. come on!! it's competition! we won...they lost...we're division champs...they're the wild card team.

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

why does baseball make such a big deal about division champions anyway? banners and locker room celebrations should be for the post-season only.

14. MadMax

it used to be a bigger deal than it is today.

the regular season means more in baseball than any other sport. the total of 162 games produces a certain championship mentality when you come out on top. keep in mind...when I was growing up, there were only 2 divisions in each league. so if you won your division that was a real accomplishment. Only 4 teams out of about 26 did that. There are a handful of teams that have never won a division crown.

It's not like the NBA where winning a division means absolutely nothing because more teams make the playoffs than don't! where teams in the 6 seed make it to the NBA Finals.

15. haven

haven Member

Ahhh... but there can only be on Division Winner. It's sort of stupid to think of the Cards as:

Co-Division Champs and the Wild Card simultaneously. Sorry, they were one or the other.

And they just happen to have been the Wild Card.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

They were asking about current rivalries were teams have been battling eachother for playoff spots, like Oakland and Seattle or the Mets and the Braves. Now, 4 of the last 5 years, the Astros were fighting off the Cards and Cubs for the division crown, so my point was why weren't they mentioned at all.