1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley vs Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I don' think there's any doubt that Barkley's an idiot, but Morey shouldn't have said what he said so publicly... Reminds of his gynecologist tweet a while back. Darly, for all his genius, needs to keep his mouth shut. And this is coming from the biggest Morey fan ever. Ugh. Disappointed. :(

2. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Move on chuck, this is not for you anymore. You let your temper get ahead of your emotions just because you felt like you dissed on social media so you had go and blabber your "Vitriol" on national television. Chuck can't even spell "Vitriol"

1 person likes this.
  3. cruwinas_lawona

****** began with street meat and finished with analytics. Shaq had tears in his eyes. Brilliant :grin:

4. NotChandlerParsons

Lucked into Harden, seriously? Remember all the hate for that move? I know thinking is hard but come on dude.

5. the shark

the shark Member

Barkley says analytics "sucks". He says it's about "getting the best players".

Well tell us something we (and Morey) don't know:eek:

What dip **** Barkley doesn't realize is ANALYTICS enabled Morey and the Rockets to be in a position to get Harden by having the necessary assets to make the trade. It also put us in a position where we had cap flexibility to acquire Howard.

Analytics isn't just about where to take shots, etc.

Barkley is a clueless.

One thing I've learned is it makes NO SENSE TO ARGUE WITH THE VILLAGE IDIOT, which Barkley obviously is. I commend Morey for saying what he said last night, but he needs to take the high road moving forward.

6. StanleyHartwell

Well,

1. Personally I don't think highly of the CS people's skill of modeling complex dynamic systems like a basketball game

Applied math, operations research & economics people are much better suited for this kind of job. They are also more expensive to hire unfortunately.

2. I took a look at several presentations at the Sloan conference of bball analytics and unfortunately the level of "research" in this field is very low. Full of people at crappy no-name departments writing papers that use basic regression techniques. Not impressed with the "state of the art" in bball analytics

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Morey should tweet: "Yet I have the GM job and not you"

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

As usual, Barkley is behind the times. Almost every NBA team has an analytics department, and even the Spurs have a strong analytics approach.

9. NotChandlerParsons

That's not the state of the art. If it was, they wouldn't be putting it on a powerpoint at some conference.

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Wow. I went to bed after the Rockets game assuming this wasn't going to go any further. Somehow, Chuck decided to dig his hole even deeper. It's one thing to say "stats aren't everything", but to display such a basic ignorance of simple ideas like "pace" and how it affects the number of points you give up is absolutely incredible.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Agree with everything Charles said about Morey. Still doesnt change the fact hes an ass with an unreasonable hatred of the rockets

12. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

Kenny does not care about the rockets not once you will hear him defend the rockets.

13. mario elie

mario elie Member

Is there any way we can petition Adam Silver and TNT to get Chuck off the air? He's so obviously biased against Houston. It's painful to sit there and listen to him. I don't know what Les did to piss him off, but I'm seriously out on TNT broadcasts. They should at least have the local broadcast available.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think the issue is actually blowing up bigger than any planned for already. It's good that all this bad blood is getting out into the media now. Perhaps the national media will even run with it a bit, but don't forget they hate us too!

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Almost anything of real value in terms of basketball analytics is proprietary and highly guarded.

Sloan is mostly hobby analysis, there's very little gain to be had from publishing anything that might actually help.

16. conquistador#11

the dream shake was basically a lay up and we were always shooting threes. so i don't get this new thinking of teams are now finally realizing the value of a three because of some formula. Rudy T was doing sabermetrics before morley got his first pocket protector and before fat chuck barkley was able to buy his first prostitute.

17. Zbed

Zbed Member

lmao Morey is a boss getting in twitter beef and is worlds smarter than Barkley. Chuck just sounds dumb as usual.

18. errpac

errpac Member

I always respect Charles opinion, but he's not always right and probably more times wrong then he's right on his predictions. Rockets fans remember what he predicted about Yao and he ended up kissing a donkeys ass for it. He was wrong about the rocket the then, this should only improve our chances.

19. bmd

bmd Member

It is painfully obvious that neither Shaq, Barkley, or even Kenny Smith have absolutely no idea what analytics is. The way they use he word and talk about it doesn't even make sense.

They are so uninformed and ignorant on the subject that it hurts.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The whole point of this bs is will the rockets win a championship using this strategy if they don't then what their saying really isn't that ignorant. Basketball is still basketball.