1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Change might be coming....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SidDaKid, Jul 15, 2014.

1. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I agree with you on this. I would rather see a playoff system where the top 16 teams in the league are seeded 1 thru 16 than the current conference tournament style playoff system that is currently in place. Schedule the regular season so every team plays each and every team equally. I see how the geographic preferred scheduling was needed in the past but traveling is so much easier these days. Private jets and other comfortable amenities make traveling so much less taxing on the body than it once was. Heck, the NFL is going to have a team in London within the next 10 years.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would like to integrate European teams somehow.
    Wouldn't make sense to get D-League because they'd get wiped off the face of the Earth in a battle with any NBA team.

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

How is the tournament different from the playoffs?

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You wouldn't see the likes of Harden or Kobe out there, I'm talking strictly B/C squad. That way its more of a way to feature developing talent.

European teams also sound interesting. That sounds more like a champion's league setup, but that sounds amazing as well.

5. RedRedemption

I feel like the only way for basketball to achieve the same level of international prestige as soccer is to have more cross continental interaction.
    Because come on at this point the Olympics are more prestigious than the FIBA World Cup. I would like to see Olympics with an under-23 requirements with 3 players over 23 exempted, just like soccer.
    And for FIBA I would like to see the best players battle it out; no restrictions. So it can mirror the World Cup instead.

And I mean the pieces are there, we are seeing some Euroleague teams come over to battle us during preseason and hell their mid tier teams are finally able to beat our lower tiered teams.

6. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I like the idea of integrating European teams as well. The top European club teams can actually give nba teams a run for there money. You could set it up much like soccer tournaments that are played intertwined with the regular season. One game on the road and one game at home.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

So basically a League and Cup schedule, each with a champion. Just like most FAs around the world. It's a nice way to try and win hardware especially if you're out of the playoffs for the League then you can focus on the Cup and vice versa.

I like the idea if they expand rosters.

8. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

For expanding rosters, I would have each NBA team be required to affiliate with an individual D-League team. Grow the d-league to be more like a minor league baseball team so each NBA team has the sole rights to each player in its minor league system. This could help expand rosters for future tournaments that include European teams. NBA teams could call up guys from the D-League when needed for tournaments.

9. vneuro

vneuro Member

Yeah but nobody wants to watch that atrocious excuse for basketball. Ratings have steadily declined from bad to worse.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Gambling time!

11. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

The problem with this is that outside of the die hard fans, not too many people will be interested in seeing these games because of the non-stars. How would the NBA generate that revenue they want from this? Does the average fan care about the foreign players, I highly doubt it. So, the attraction will have to come from the oversea fans. Now you have to worry about the time difference unless we broadcast late games over to them.

The ultimate problem I see is why would clubs such as the Spurs sent out their good players to participate in these tournaments when it has zero gain toward their ultimate goal of NBA championships.

12. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

And to fix the All Star Game, make the players really care about winning. Humiliate the losing conference. Make the losing conference teams wear jerseys that says "Congratulations to the West/East Conf winners of the 2015 All-Star game" for the remainder of the season. Something along those lines. I think the humiliation speaks louder than the prize money.

13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Didnt the NBA champion used to go play other countries after they won. I could swear i remember the rockets playing overseas after they won the championships. Maybe im tripping.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I still don't understand what this is, but I already don't like it.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed . . other wise
    those teams not in the tourney would have an unfair advantage

an extra break

Rocket River

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

Stuff that "Everyone wins a trophy" B.S. that soccer loves. There should be one trophy up for grabs, and you are either the champion or you are just another loser.

If a team like the Spurs is happy to rest all of their players over the course of the season, and the Heat rested Wade for 28 games this season....what do you think they would do in a mid season tournament?

Lose the first game, rest up, watch everyone else wear themselves down, and look towards the playoffs that actually matter.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the current ASG. It gets quite competitive towards the end.

Fans don't want to see guys go all out the whole game anyway, they want to see fancy alley-oops and breakaways. That doesn't happen if everyone is playing 100%.

18. RedRedemption

That would be cheesy and tacky and NOBODY would go for that.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

the fact that 32 teams from all over the world just finished a tournament with group and knockout stages in 1 month but the nba first round lasts longer than that..shows how stupid the playoff system is.

now lets add more tournaments to this!

nba playoffs should be considerably shorter.
    1st round 3 games
    2nd round 5 games
    conf finals - 5 games
    finals - 7 games

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

There simply is no cultural and societal significance in the US to where something like this would matter.

Call it apathetic, but no one really cares about side tournaments and honors outside of regular NBA playoffs and championships.

The season is structured appropriately in "Get Right To It" form : prove yourself in regular season to qualify for the big prize.

The only kind of bragging rights pride you can have in USA bball fans is some regional pride or insterstate pride. There arent many natural "rivalries" that matter enough. No socio-political competitiveness like how it exists in soccer. Itd be very contrived to create it and fans would see through it