1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Change might be coming....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SidDaKid, Jul 15, 2014.

1. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I'm down for a shorter season.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

When? Like during Christmas-New Years? Could work, but the season has to be shortened to like 75-76 ish games.

3. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Why doesn't the NBA do what baseball do for all star games. Winner get Finals home court

4. val_modus

val_modus Member

If they shortened the regular season to 60 games I'd be all for it. The players are worn down enough as is. Who knows what they have in store though..

5. lr22

lr22 Member

If RS games are to be reduced to 41 or some, I'd love to see NBA having a mid-season tournament. If not, then hell no.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

NO. WHAT. How can someone actually like that arrangement? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Worst week of the entire season.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I'd imagine they would bring in the best teams from overseas to compete with some NBA teams for a good match up of talent from across the world. Not a bad idea, just now sure how they'll pick NBA teams to do it.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

30 team knockout, best 2 records get first round bye, seeding by standings at a cut off date (3 plays 30, etc) leading to a round of 16 and so on.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I wish we could actually have a two league system where teams could get relegated for flat out tanking. Although it wouldn't work since there is no secondary league with good enough talent to compete even against the worst teams in the NBA.

I'm not a fan of the idea specifically, but I am a fan of changing the game of NBA basketball up a bit. Sounds interesting, but not sure if players or teams would truly care about it. (Like teams might just send its young and bench players to play instead of the stars). So it'd amount to nothing more than what the Orlando Summer League championship does, a meaningless title for young players.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

No! Nothing is broken, don't change it!

12. RedRedemption

Silver is just looking for something revolutionary like the introduction of the three point line.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

oooh, I could dig a single elimination tourney with all the teams. No incentives except bragging rights, though.

14. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Please no. The fact that baseball does this drives me crazy. All-star games are exhibitions and should in no way affect the championship.

15. RedRedemption

Conferences shouldn't affect the championship either. Every year we are giving East teams a free pass to the finals instead of having them battle Western teams that are all better from 1-8. The conference system is terrible.

16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

This times 1000000

17. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

You could schedule it much the tournaments that take place early on in the college basketball season like the Maui Invitational, except on a larger scale to include each NBA team. Use consolation games such as 3rd place games, 5th place games, 7th place games and so on... to set the tournament up so each team plays an equal amount of games. The games played in the tournament could then be tagged on to each teams overall regular-season record much like the games played in the Maui Invitational and other college basketball tournaments like the Maui Invitational. To make this work and to reduce the wear and tear on the players games from the traditional regular-season would need to be reduced to accommodate these tournament games. The location of the games and the seeding for the tournament could be decided in a variety of different ways.

18. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Midseason tournament would be interesting if it were meaningful.

They could have it impact draft order. Or playoff seeding (tiebreaks or something). Just some ideas.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

they should make it like the MLS open cup. Include d-league teams in it as well. NBA teams can send their B/C squad to take on D-league teams in a single elimination tournament. That is something I would love to see.

20. what

what Member

Image that the tournament games would coincide with regular season games rather than extra games added to the schedule similar to college basketball.