1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Crunch-Time Benching Feud

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Yes, had we accepted the team option he would've been UFA the next summer.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hinesight is 20/20. If you would have told me the flexibility of letting him walk didn't necessarily allow you to get a superstar but allowed you to get very good years from Ariza, and Lawson I'd probably still let him walk.

But if you told me how bad Lawson would be I think that changes things a bit. Lawson at the time was almost more valuable than Chandler. But man the deal blew up and we ended up with a worse player than Parsons although you could argue about.

In the end though Parsons didn't blow up like Harden going to Hou like Fegan and Cuban were banking on so its really not the end of the world. He's good but he has health issues, still stinks on defense, and now has entitlement issues (what happened to our humble kid who befriended Scola).

Last year was an important year too for the Rockets and I believe Chandler was hurt during the playoffs if I'm not mistaken. All in all I'm not sweating it but yeah technically Morey probably should have just matched if hinesight being 20/20. If we weren't getting a superstar or the best we could do was THIS VERSION of Ty Lawson yeah you probably should have held onto your guy. But it didn't work out that bad in the end.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The rockets don't sign the players they draft past their rookie deals. Even with Landry it was a struggle even though he deserved every penny he got at the time.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Parson is not really that overpaid. He is 17-18 point scorer who will give you close to 50/40/80. That in today's NBA will get you max. Ariza just sucks. He is bad shooter who has a few hot streaks. His defense has slipped a lot.

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ariza is not a great defender anymore.

He can be pretty good on most nights but he's not great.

And if you don't think having another guy that can go off for 20+ on the wing consistently is a big reason why teams win? Well I don't know what to tell you because every team thats elite besides the Spurs has 2 guys not one that get 20 a night.

When ariza scores the ball we win more so than him playing solid defense, which is important too im not taking that away from him but the added offensive threat is somthing this team has been lacking since harden got here. It's honestly a testament to how good hardrn is that he's been able to have the success he's had with not other big time scorer next to him.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Say what u want about parsons.

But he's the only guy harden ever trusted sharing the ball with.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's not a great defender but at the opposite side Parsons isn't a great scorer he's just a good scorer his offensive ability is the same level as Ariza's defensive ability, you don't see Parsons scoring consistently against the best defenders in the league and since his D sucks his opponent gets to explode for example he gets owned by two way players like Andre Iguadala, Luol Deng, that french dude in Portland before etc.

I agree we need offensive threats but at the same time we need defense more than offense, you're right the rox being good offensively is a testament to Harden but at the same time our D is one of the worst in the league despite having Ariza, Dwight and Bev in the starting line up if we had Parsons instead of Ariza our D would tank even more and we won't be able to beat other teams, remember when we lost by 20 pts against every in the opening games of the season?

Ariza is the perfect complement to Harden because he doesn't need the ball to be effective. On the other hand Parsons makes the max but he is clearly not a max player, other people have superstars making 15M and you have Chandler Parsons? Really? Dallas is just lucky Dirk took a massive discount because if he didn't, the fact that they overpaid for Parsons would've been more exposed than it is now.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

How much did that help against Portland? It doesn't matter if he can share the ball with Harden if he can't step up against legit competition. After saying he was the best SF in the series, Batum made him his b**** and posted a +/- average of 18 in the entire series (for reference he was -9 against sacramento afterwards). And that was when he was healthy, right now I think Parsons is the SF equivalent of David Lee.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is why I was upset we let him go, he fit perfectly. I hated that we let him walk.

DD

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure he was good, but his D deteriorated and he did not get us to the 3rd round

Josh Smith and others did

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Parsons is only a tad better than Ariza offensively because Ariza is underrated and not often used.

He sure is a better ballhandler and that is about it.
    You do not need another ballhandler

He does not make a great deal of difference

12. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Im sorry... What?

1 person likes this.
  13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ariza can't finish around the hoop and has no offesnive game when he had to put the ball on the floor he also can't pass or dribble and you put it.

He's good in transition and spot up shooting.

I like ariza and think he's a good fit for the team but we need a plauer like parsons. Obviously we need a player better than parsons of we want to seriously compete and take down the Warriors.

If we had Paul George playing with harden it would make a big difference. That's all I was trying to point out earlier.

We could have signed parsons and ariza so I don't think it makes much difference at all. We haven't signed any big time players since he left so it prb was a move looking back we should have matched.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We don't know what might have been, Josh Smith did not get us anywhere, he had a good quarter.

DD

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Geez Parsons:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">$21.1M to start back w <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mavs?src=hash">#Mavs</a> <a href="https://t.co/Te0M8camiu">https://t.co/Te0M8camiu</a></p>&mdash; mike fisher ✭ (@fishsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/702190147731746817">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">He can opt out and he will. And then re-sign for a lot more $$ <a href="https://t.co/OnPUHVIk0Z">https://t.co/OnPUHVIk0Z</a></p>&mdash; Chuck Cooperstein (@coopmavs) <a href="https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/702189979984797696">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. jogo

jogo Member

Parsons:

1) Is NOT a 17-18 point scorer. He averages 12.8 points this year. With regular minutes her's probably 15-16 points a game. But he has an injury history so 14 points might be his new max.

2) He's shooting 66% for FTs. That's nowhere near close to the 80% someone mentioned.

3) I think Ariza is better for our team next to Harden than Parsons. He covers up Harden's defensive lapses pretty well. And he is fine with playing his role, which I don't think Parsons would have accepted.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't think Harden necessarily trusted Parsons. It was more Parsons took it upon himself to shoot and not defer to Harden. Harden passed to Parsons the same way he passed to everyone else.

People keep saying players can't play with Harden. Harden is a passive player. ANYONE can take over and he won't care. BUT If someone gives him the ball back like Lin and Lawson did/do, you wont see that ball again unless you're camped in the corner or rolling to the basket.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

To him, the word humble is a suburb outside of Houston he used to visit. This is a tweet from a dallas reporter on portions wanting to opt out and demand more money. LOL. I always had a theory he would somehow opt out after year 2 and find his way to the land of fake people(Los Angeles) and I think he mightve finally found a suitor in the lakers this offseason.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">$21.1M to start back w <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mavs?src=hash">#Mavs</a> <a href="https://t.co/Te0M8camiu">https://t.co/Te0M8camiu</a></p>&mdash; mike fisher ✭ (@fishsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/702190147731746817">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

This should be stickied like crazy. It is the realest and the most truthful statement ever. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Lawson needs to just do his thang, and Harden could care less since it'll help them win... but nope, he'll just try 1 crossover dribble and if that doesn't work, he just gives up and passes the ball to harden or company.

Seriously it's heart breaking and oh so sad.