1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clay Travis:

Rig job in effect by the CFB playoff committee: Wisconsin, Penn State & Michigan are ranked seven spots higher in CFB rankings than in AP or Coaches Poll. UF, Bama & AU are six spots lower in CFP than in AP or Coaches. Ohio State is being protected to keep LSU from one seed.

The Big Ten teams — except Minnesota who Ohio State didn’t play — are being insanely overvalued in the college football playoff rankings. All committee member ballots should have to be made public at end of year to make this transparent.

The one seed matters this year because the team seeded one, either LSU or Ohio State, would be a big favorite over Utah, OU or Baylor and get to avoid Clemson.

Love to hear the committee’s logic on how Alabama dropped seven spots for losing by three on the road against a top 12 team yet Michigan dropped just one spot despite losing by 29 at home. Looks like a rig job to make Ohio State’s win over Michigan look better & justify tanking.

And don’t even get me started on Wisconsin at 8

It feels like some members of the committee are trying to keep Ohio State’s resume strong — by artificially inflating Michigan and Wisconsin’s rankings — to avoid LSU overtaking Buckeyes at number one with a win over Georgia.

I feel like margin of defeat is not getting factored in at all. If you get obliterated by someone, it needs to be significant. All losses aren’t equal.

Alabama, Auburn and Florida would all be touchdown or more favorites over Wisconsin. Bama would be a 14 point favorite over Badgers. Florida clearly has a vastly superior resume to Badgers. Yet all are ranked below Wisconsin. Why? Committee rig job for Ohio State.

Final thought: how in the world can the committee have Penn State at ten, which is EIGHT SPOTS above Minnesota, a team with the same record that they lost to head-to-head? Simple, Penn State is artificially inflated to bolster the resume of Ohio State.

One of the real dangers of the committee is their rankings can be padded to artificially justify whatever result they wish to reach. Look at Oklahoma State, for instance, at 24. Voila, OU just added a top 25 win. Which will he cited in OU vs Utah. Committee members can rig system

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I remember when bobbythegreat declared repeatedly in his normal obnoxious way that Baylor would never ever be relevant again in CFB. Basically, he said what Jim Rome said when A&M jumped ship.

It would be fun to tag and make fun of him now.

3. Buck Turgidson

In all fairness to bobby, Baylor should have gotten the Death Penalty, along with Penn State

King1 and Nook like this.
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

With Utah going down, Baylor is in if they win tomorrow and LSU also wins

whag00 likes this.
  5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

baylor winning a title would really get in the way of my and every other longhorn’s superiority complex. Very annoying.

Was he finally banned?

Buck Turgidson and sammy like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For reals though. Major credit to Rhule. But a lot people felt Baylor needed to go away after that whole thing.

Buck Turgidson and sammy like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tua > Jalen

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

If Ohio State ever gets to play LSU this season, they will be sorry they did. They are hugely overrated.

tinman and plates300 like this.
  9. likestohypeguy

So since Utah lost and Oklahoma won, they're in so long as Georgia doesn't come back on LSU this evening? Or any other possibilities?

10. likestohypeguy

So given the outcome of utah, Oklahoma, and now LSU/GA, is it a foregone conclusion that it's Oklahoma whether clemson wins or loses? Or is there still rigging room at this point?

11. Buck Turgidson

Yes. Clemson is still probably in even if they somehow lose tonight, though they shouldn't be. There's not another legitimate 1-loss team to take their place, and I don't know how you would differentiate the 2-loss ones.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Injuries ruin sports.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

OSU might not get to the playoffs; looks like the Badgers could do them in first.

14. Buck Turgidson

Should be LSU v OU, OSU v Clemson

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clemson looks like the team to beat

16. likestohypeguy

it seems obvious but "should be"... what're the alternative possibilities?

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The most likely matchup is OSU vs OU, LSU vs Clemson

18. Buck Turgidson

Yeah. From what I've seen and looking at both teams schedules and results I don't see it (though admittedly I've watched more of LSU than OSU this year), but apparently the CFP committee doesn't agree with me. We'll see.

Hell, Clemson might be better than both, but the ACC was such a disaster this year and their 2 legit OOC opponents were meh A&M and bad SC so who knows.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. LSU
    2. Ohio State
    3. Clemson
    4. Oklahoma

LSU vs Oklahoma
    Ohio State vs Clemson

tinman likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't really understand what Oklahoma did to deserve a spot. Did the the Big 12 have any signature out of conference wins this year? I guess the Pac 12 is just worse somehow.

Edit: The Pac 12 doesn't really have any signature ooc wins either (a few more middling ones than the big 12 but that's whatever). There's way too much p***y footing around in OOC scheduling among the p5.

#1000 DonnyMost, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019