1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics waive Vin Baker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1734398

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics put Vin Baker on waivers Friday, the next step in releasing the suspended former all-star from a contract that would pay him $36 million over the next 2½ seasons.

Baker was suspended indefinitely on Jan. 23 for violating a testing program he agreed to last season when he left the team to check into alcohol rehab. He missed his 10th consecutive game on Thursday night, triggering a clause in the agreement that would allow the Celtics to release him.

By placing him on waivers, the Celtics initiated the process of terminating his contract. Unless another team claims him before Wednesday morning -- a slim possibility -- they can release him.

"Until the waiver process runs its course, the team will refrain from further comment on this matter," Celtics spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said in a statement posted on the team's Web site.

Any move is expected to be contested by the players' association, and it could wind up in arbitration. A spokesman for the NBPA did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Baker's spokesman, Jay Nkonoki, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Saving Baker's salary wouldn't allow the Celtics to be a player on the free agent market, but it could keep them out of luxury tax range.

Baker missed two months and the playoffs last season after he checked into a Connecticut rehab center. He agreed at the time to follow an aftercare program this season and submit to frequent testing.

But Baker failed to comply with the terms of the agreement at least three times before he was suspended indefinitely last month. The agreement dictated that only the doctor overseeing Baker's care could determine when he's ready to return, but after the suspension reached 10 games, that authority would transfer to the team.

In a statement issued late Thursday, Baker said he had done everything required of him to remain in compliance with his program and awaited clearance to play again.

"I am surprised and disappointed that I have not been cleared to play as of today, but I remain optimistic knowing I have gone above and beyond what has been asked of me during my absence," he said. "My representatives have and will continue to communicate with team officials on my behalf, until I am reinstated."

Celtics boss Danny Ainge said the decision was in the hands of the team's attorneys.

"All I know at some point Vin could come back and at some point he could not," Ainge said Thursday night in Chicago, where the Celtics lost to the Bulls to fall to 23-31 on the season.

Baker's agent, Aaron Goodwin, has not returned repeated calls seeking comment.

The 6-foot-11 Baker was the eighth overall pick by the Milwaukee Bucks in the 1993 draft. He averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds over his last two seasons in Milwaukee before he was traded to Seattle for the 1997-98 season.

His first season in Seattle showed only slight drop-off, and he was good enough to be picked for the 2000 U.S. Olympic team. But by the time the Sydney games came around, his play had deteriorated to the point where he was rarely used.

Baker, who said he began binge drinking during the 1998-99 lockout, was suspended Feb. 27, 2003, and didn't play again last season. But after treatment he returned in better shape and determined to make it up to his teammates.

He scored in double figures in 21 of his first 35 games, but then his production dropped off again. He totaled just 12 points in four games before being suspended for three games, then played in just two of the next five games before being suspended again.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When the possibility of voiding Baker´s contract was brought up on ESPN Fastbreak (about a month ago), most of the panel jumped at saying there was no way the player´s union would just sit back idly and let it all happen.

So expect a fight over this. But it is no secret at all that Vin Baker, may he overcome his problems, is robbing the league with that salary.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I really and truly hope the Players Union loses in glorious fashion in this one. I'm talking massive defeat. If it says in his contract that he can be let go under this condition, then it should be allowed. Just as the contract states (and has been complied with) that he is to be guaranteed insane sums of dough every 2 weeks even if he plays like total crap, is completely unreliable and boozes it up all hours of the night.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm thinking Clutch would not favor the Rockets picking Vin up on waivers. (I wouldn't).

5. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

As deplorable as Vinnie's actions are, I hope the Players Association wins this case.

I don't want the NBA turning into the NFL, with cuts and contracts thrown out the window on a whim.

If teams are dumb enough to tender the contracts, they should uphold them. There has to be some accountability on the franchise's behalf as well.

The Celts have every right to cut Baker and stop writing him checks as of next Monday, but the precedent it would set (for cases not as extreme as VB's) is too dangerous.

Bottom line, I like my league the way it is.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

He must really like his Maddog 20/20 to give up 36-large for it.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

KD, if as I understand it, Baker and his agent signed a contract agreeing that his contract could be voided given violation of a treatment program, I can't see how they can or should have a case. If the relevant clauses weren't in there, then I would agree with you that teams can't just come up with an excuse to get out of a bad contract that they signed. But it sounds like Baker and his agent brought this upon themselves.