1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Celtics trade #1 pick to Sixers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 16, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, not sure there's that much of a difference between them, Butler's defense also declined...yeah, he's probably still the better player between them, and he has also a pretty cheap contract for a couple of years, but i'm not sure he's that much better to cost you a 1st pick.

#61 Vivi, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. malakas

malakas Member

Well..if this trade goes down it's obvious that Ainge didn't believe that Hayward would choose Boston. Maybe his agent already has made his intentions known.

But it looks more like the usual rumours bs.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep i agree.

4. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

You can win a title if Butler is your best player with the right team around you, I don't think the same can be said if Hayward is your best player, he's an ideal #2 option.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough i guess.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Ehhh not that simple.

Butler is a ball stopper and requires the ball in his hands to be effective.

Butler isn't the defender he was a few years ago but he is still pretty solid.

Butler's attitude isn't the best and he has heavy mileage.

Hayward is the better offensive player. He can play multiple spots, score inside and outside, put the ball on the floor and in transition. He is a match up nightmare. In a system like the Warriors or Rockets, he could get 25 a night.

Defensively he is under rated, he gets over well and can even switch on the perimeter. It is hard to say how many deficiencies are covered by Snyder and Gobbert defensively.

Butler has to be "the man" to really do what he does. The problem is that don't think he is a good enough #1 to win against James, Harden and other #1 options.

Hayward can fit in and thrive not dominating the ball.

Vivi and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I have a feeling this is what the trade will be

Sixers: No. 1 pick.

Bulls: Jahlil Okafor, No. 3 pick, Nets No.18 pick.

Celtics: Jimmy Butler.

RocketsFan0 likes this.
  8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Danny Ainge is just doing his due diligence trying to determine the market value for Fultz and the number one pick so he can shop around and see what other offers he might solicit leading up the draft. He has the ammunition in terms of young players and draft picks to trade for pretty much anyone in the league.

Celtics are also $30 million under the cap this offseason so this could be a perfect storm of free agency SPLASH. Boston could hypothetically trade for either Paul George or Jimmy Butler and then also acquire either Blake Griffin or Gordon Hayward via free agency to form another Big 3.

Jontro likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Butler barely made the playoffs this year as a #1 option (in the EAST), Hayward on the other hand was the leader of a top 6 NBA team.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. hlcc

hlcc Member

maybe both? I'm not convinced adding a Butler or Paul George to the Celtics is enough to move them past the Cavs, in this case might as well just keep the pick. But if it's Hayward/Griffin + Butler/PG13,, the east is suddenly interesting again.

MorningZippo likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Exactly why I've suggested moving Harden for Fultz the Nets pick next year and Jaylen Brown. Lol.

peleincubus likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Interesting. I'd hold on to one of those unprotected Laker or King picks though.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would do that also if I knew I wasn't getting someone else next to Harden this year that is legit number 2 option. If not next year will be the same thing Warriors will beat the Rockets even if they make it far enough to play them in the playoffs.

Otherwise I would set yourself up like the Celtics and maybe in 3 years have good young talent with cap space to add a max free agent with them. Otherwise you will be spinning your wheels the next 3-4 years and by that time Harden will be in his 30's and his skill level can only compensate for his lack of athleticism for so long.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

16. DMO (DJ remix)

Fultz is cool, but if Celtics can get their hands on star player+ pick that lands them Doncic, boi o boi.

17. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Look at the teams around them. If you swap Hayward and Butler, the Bulls are worse and the Jazz are equal or marginally better.

Hayward had either the 1st or 2nd best defensive player in the NBA playing alongside him. Butler had the most dysfunctional locker room in the league this year around him.

Two years ago Butler was the best player on a team that won just as many games as this years Jazz.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

So per the rumors, Boston's options are:

Randle + #2 for #1
    or
    #3 + 2018 1st(maybe more) for #1
    or
    #3 + Nets 2018 1st + Okafor to Chicago
    Butler to Boston
    #1 to Philadelphia
    or
    Keep the pick

Hmm...

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

danny ainge gonna have cold feet again, this is all apart of him driviing his ego across the league and saying, and saying look at me i have the number 1 pick