1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics talking about a possible Clint Capela trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

All of this needs to be brought up MORE AND MORE. Because when we belabor the roster situation we are in, we had LEVERS that could be pulled and assets to utilize. But they were thrown away so Tilman could penny pinch.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

tilman sucks, we are stuck with him. i'm not hopeful for the future of this team once Morey is inevitably ousted for patrick.

mikol13, BMoney and RichieBanks like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Yup and this really isn't a "hindsight is 20/20" situation. At the time ownership made the majority of these decisions everyone knew the consequences involved. The Anderson decision was made with complete consequences known. Tillman dragging his feet on the JaMychal Green trade was made with ownership knowing someone else could step in. The decision to let Ariza go was made knowing there wasn't a replacement and the team would suffer. Not using all of the MLE. Same with the decision to not take back any additions salary in the Westbrook trade.

These are all decisions that ownership made knowing would hurt the product on the court.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

So the more I think about this, the more I think we are going to try to solve our holes through small trades and the buyout market.

We are absolutely going to duck the tax again, especially with the potential 10% dip in the cap due to the China pullout.

Nene, Hartenstein and Clark could be sent out for a player (or players) making LESS.

Ours holes seem to be a stretch 5 and a defensive wing.

Trade targets: Mo Wagner and Terrance Ferguson

Buyout options: Marvin Williams, Andre Igoudala, Marcus Morris, Davis Bertans, Solomon Hill

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just beyond infuriating all of the potential assets/opportunities blown to add quality DEPTH to the roster. The things at the margins that CAN put you OVER THE TOP for a championship on a team that is "right there."

Tilman penny pinching.

If the team comes up short because of a *few things* Tilman can look in the mirror to see it was HE that didn't do *whatever it takes* to add the necessary talent.

The time to *slash salary* is not now. Do that when you are rebuilding.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Team payroll wise. HOU is

2019 - 20 #1 highest
    2020 - 21. #2 highest, after PHI
    2021 - 22. #4, after GSW, BK, PHI
    2022 - 23. #1.

Things can change, but relative to other owners, money is getting spent.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/

roslolian and BigShasta like this.
  7. smp

smp Member

Harden and Donkey would never work. Draymond would call Harden on his defense and Harden would get rid of him. It would be a total disaster.

8. smp

smp Member

Horry has 7 rings for a reason. A tall 4 who could shoot and defend has always been a huge advantage.

BamBam likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

inaccurate because it falsely assumes we'll be paying nene the full $10M. the league pays part of the salaries for ryno, green, thabo, and chandler as well

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, if you're someone who believes that Harden needs a Donkey-esque type teammate to keep him accountable defensively, maybe it works for a season or two before Harden "ships him out"... ala CP3.

No coincidence the Rockets best regular season team ever came when Harden was finally surrounded by defensive minded role and star player that kept him in check that end of the floor.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm def looking at Aaron Baynes and thinking he would be amazing on this team with WB as pg. He is a great center for the modern NBA really tall but also possesses spacing and shooting ability.

raining threes likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Celts are rolling without someone like Capela, he might not be necessary for now....

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i know....i watched that game on TV the other night...i don't even think they'd give up hayward now... they may be serious contenders this year without a good center...

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

True

is anyone else worried tho. That the celts give us a future first and tilly accepts just to dump that contract :confused:

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

And Robert Williams is a young Capela basically, at this point i'd say with more potential too...but who knows, if they wanted Clint 5 months ago, it's possible they'd still want him, Ainge could still trade him in the future considering the contract if Williams becomes as good or better.

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i guess the point is, even if they still want him, i don't think they'd give us anything valuable for clint .... i don't even think they'd give up smart...he's too valuable to them...their defense is too good already...why mess with it? they can get by with those centers and just play great team defense and team ball on offense...

Vivi likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who the hell wants a soft center owed $51,310,344 over the next 3 years?
    2019-20: $14,896,552
    2020-21: $16,000,000
    2021-22: $17,103,448
    2022-23: $18,206,896

Maybe you can make a case for one of these teams but 2/3rds of the league already have a center.
    Hawks(Alex Len/Damian Jones/Bruno Fernando)
    Cavs(Tristan Thompson/John Henson/Ante Zizic)
    Mavs(Dwight Powell/Boban)
    Spurs(Poeltl)

Boston?
    Kemba & Gordon are making a combined $65M ($32.7M each)
    Jaylen Brown just got paid & kicks in next year
    Smart is making $12M/$13M/$14M
    and Jayson Tatum is coming up.
    I think they'll make do with Theis/Kanter/Williams/Fall

#357 J.R., Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    jcmoon likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough, i wouldn't bet on a deal between us and Boston at this point, but i wouldn't bet against it either...in the end, like J.R said they have a lot of centers, but numbers doesnt' mean much, all those guys are on short deals, some unguaranted, and tbh, as today they are all bench tier players:

- Theis is serviceable but he is who he is, a bench player.

- Williams is a baby Capela but he's shorter, still young and raw, not sure he'll give them what they need any time soon.

- Kanter is a good player overall but his defense, especially in the playoff will likely be exposed and end up on the bench.

- Fall i don't even know if he'll ever play when it matters.

So, i can see why they would still want Capela, but like you said it might not be easy to find a deal that both teams like, although i feel like Smart would be indeed part of a package, cause i don't know how the trade could even get done otherwise, we're obviously not taking back Kanter and Theis, would make zero sense for us...unless they give us the Memphis pick, but i highly doubt that Ainge would move that last good asset in this scenario.

To me it seems like Smart plus Boston's pick would be a realistic and fair trade in terms of value, cause even though i agree that Smart is a good piece for them, he's still a bench player, they would take back a starting center here.

D-rock likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

@Deuce @Nook @treyk3 @Vivi

All of this is somewhat depressing and definitely concerning. I feel like TF has really made it difficult for Morey to improve this team moving forward.

There are moves that were made (as discussed) or could have been made that would have better positioned the Rockets to be able to significantly improve the team, but feel it will be tough from here on out.

I actually like having Westbrook vs Paul at this point of their careers. RW is a fire I feel like the Rockets sorely lacked. Doesn’t matter to me that he doesn’t fit the perfect mold. Can’t believe I’ve come around on it, but I have. Just feel like ducking out of salaries and trading picks killed this team’s future.

So that leaves CC as the only tradeable asset, at least for this year. What can he bring back if he is on the table? Will it be enough to put this team over the top? I doubt it. Hopefully we can see some Morey magic yet again.

I haven’t been down on the organization in a very longtime, but to say I’m iffy on TF’s ability to win is an understatement. I would love to be wrong.

Nook, treyk3 and Vivi like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He has. His penny pinching has removed 1st round draft picks from Morey's asset chest. And his penny pinching has removed *tradable salary ballast* away from Morey's asset chest. Basically TF has tied one arm around Morey's back. And he has done this at a time where this team is declared a *championship caliber team* where the goal should be *whatever it takes* and yet they are NOT doing whatever it takes. Tilman is a liar.

BigMaloe, lilbird20, D-rock and 9 others like this.