1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ceballos Rumor???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Feb 20, 2001.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Colby posted a trade proposal for Club Ced yesterday and then I heard something...possibly just a rumor, today about Mr. Ceballos along with Dan Majerle for Carlos Rogers and Walt Williams. Without a doubt the Rockets would make this deal in a heartbeat.

Rogers has a team option once the season is over which the Rockets will definitely NOT exercise and the opportunity to unload Walt's $5 million contract is icing on the cake. Both Majerle and Ceballos have expiring contracts at the end of the season so the Rockets would have another $5+ million to play with this summer.

In addition to the salary benefits, I think it would be a good thing to give a guy like Ceballos a chance to flourish with our young guys. Ced shoots %48 in limited minutes and if it doesn't work out, then we simply let him go on his way once the season is over.

------------------
    "Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives,
    but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is." -- Barbara Bush

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited February 20, 2001).]

2. MManal

MManal Member

This deal would be excellent in terms of clearing off cap room (7-8 mil more space) and would allow the Rockets to re-sign Olajuwon AND sign Chris Webber without too much of a problem. Also, the Rockets would have sufficient space to sign their first round picks. Anyone been watching Michael Bradley of Villanova?

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

3. Summer Song Giver

I like it , I like it alot

------------------
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting -- not sure where you heard that RP, but Jeff called me today to say he was laughing because he had just heard a sports report on the radio saying:

"Contrary to what you may read on bulletin boards on the Internet, the Rockets are not sending Carlos Rogers and Walt Williams to Miami for Ced Ceballos and Dan Majerle."

Interesting way to refer to the BBS [​IMG]

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Shouldn't that read

Contrary to what Pimps say on bulletin boards on the Internet, the Rockets are not sending Carlos Rogers and Walt Williams to Miami for Ced Ceballos and Dan Majerle."

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

6. Colby

Colby Member

Don't know where this trade came from, but I came up with Ced as a response to my thread to find a player TO trade for.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011284.html

CD put this and most rumors to bed in the Chronicle.

CC sets the news again.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

[This message has been edited by Colby (edited February 20, 2001).]

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you honestly believe the Rockets will exercise the opttion on Rogers contract? Between his unfortunate personal problems and nagging health issues he simply hasn't been able to consistently contribute for the past 1 1/2 years.

------------------

8. RocketsPimp

Yeah Clutch, I heard the something similar on the radio to what Jeff spoke to you about, except it was the usual Rockets PR movement of refusing to comment on any trade speculation. The reporter said that the team would not confirm, nor deny any trade rumors. In any case I won't be suprised if the Rockets do not make a trade in the upcoming days.

Bobrek, sorry...I meant to write the team would not be exercising the option on Rogers. I corrected the statement above.

One other thing that is being reported on Houston radio is that the team has taking a good number of calls from other teams, but nothing serious is in the works.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited February 20, 2001).]

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If we can land Thunder Dan and Cedric Ceballos while at the same time dumping Walt and Los, then let's go for it! Did you see Walt's MVP performance tonight: 1-11, 6 pts, 5 fouls. He flat out sucked. Meanwhile Carlos rode the pine as usual in a game that was decided at the end of the 3rd quarter.

I say if anyone, Pat Riley included, is dumb enough to ask for Walt, pull the trigger. I like Los, and think he's got some skills, but we just don't need him and he's buried at the end of our bench. At least Ceballos and Majerle are in the last year's of their contracts so we can resign Dream or Mo if need be.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I almost swerved off the road when I heard David Dalati say that on KILT today. It cracked me up. It was during the afternoon show with Rich and Charlie at 4:30pm. Hilarious.

------------------
    "You know what they say about the music business. Here today, gone TODAY!

- Chris Rock at the MTV Music Video Awards

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Walt's been playing even worse now that that the trade deadline has arrived. I'm sure it's just coincidence.

------------------

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

At first I was wondering why Pat Riley would make the trade either, but the fact is that Walt has a good 3pt% (40.25), better than anyone on the Heat. I've always liked Dan Majerle, but he's shooting .289 for the season, .292 from the 3pt line, and with significant minutes, 19.2pg. Cedric Ceballos looks like he's in the same boat as Carlos here. With the trade, Riley would be getting a better shooter than what's he got and a big man who we all know hustles his ass off and deserves more minutes.

Having said all that, I like the trade, simply because of cap room, but I'm not getting my hopes up. CD did say in the Chronicle that he doesn't want to upset chemistry just for cap space, but we all know the Rockets will jump on a good deal if presented, as all good GMs do. I'd be against the trade if Carlos was getting the opportunity to contribute like he deserves, but if Rudy is going to just bench him, I'd rather we get his salary off the books.

------------------

13. RocketsPimp

I'm with you Jeff!! I almost missed my entrance to the freeway when I heard that update. I hope this is more than another concocted rumor.

Relativist...errr....HP(?), I'm glad you're looking at this from all angles.

Anyway, if this rumor is legit, Riley would be an idiot to not seriously consider it. Los' is a terror against East Coast teams who brings fire and enthusiasm off the bench. Bring him in behind Grant/Mason and the Heat have some hard workers in the paint.
    Walt also brings a nice shooting touch to a position where it is sorely needed on the Heat. While its true that they would be giving up a good deal of cap space by taking on Walt's salary, Walt may be the best option that Riley has in terms of a good shooting SF this off season.

As for what CD said about upsetting the chemistry, Rogers and Walt are very insignificant elements in the whole Rockets compound and are easily expendable. These comments are just typical Rockets PR IMO.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited February 21, 2001).]

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It makes since for both teams...I would do it, if only to get Langhi some more PT.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

15. RocketsPimp

Langhi would not start ahead of Ced or take Shandon's minutes.

Sorry guys, but Langhi is a bust who is destined to be another journeyman.

------------------

16. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I like this trade & if the other rumor about the Rockets getting Miller from Chicago (for Cato maybe?) goes through, we'd have successfully dumped Walt/Cato/LOS's contracts & freed up a lot of cap space. It wouldn't disrupt team chemistry, because none of the three seriously contribute to the team (Walt 1-11). [​IMG] That would enable us to get Webber & resign Dream/MO/Shandon/Moochie without much if any problems. If Ceballos works out, then we've added some depth to the SF position. Hmmmm....

------------------