1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CC's evolved into a legit All Star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 4, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rebounding is his calling card but there are tons of good rebounders out there.

The ASG prefers ball handlers and scorers.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Let's chill with the Gobert comparison until the Rockets actually play some above average defense first. Morey would trade Capela for Gobert in a second if Utah was willing to do that

Gray_Jay, Drogba and J Sizzle like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Who wouldn't? Minor drop in offense, minor bump in defense. Arguably a substantial improvement in defense. Defense is this team’s biggest hole.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  4. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

Trade Capela for Towns, everyone?

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Unfortunately, no. He's had a couple big games but he's always been capable of a few big games. As a whole, this season compared to the rest of the D'Antoni era Clint is averaging his:
    • Lowest scoring season per 36 minutes
    • .002 from Lowest field goal percentage
    • Lowest free throw percentage
    • Lowest assist rate
    • Highest turnover rate
    • Lowest rate of drawing fouls (which may be a good thing given the FT%)
    We've seen some promising defensive improvements - though this isn't his best shotblocking season, he may be playing his best overall defensive ball of his career. But All-Star level? No. He's mostly been doing what he always has done, except with even worse free throws.

6. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Not yet. He's still a one trick pony. He has trouble when theres a quicker and stronger defender on him on the pick and roll lob. Dremond green always shuts capela down. He need to develop a post move like a automatic jump hook where a smaller defender like dremond cant contest. I dont know why he dont have one he has huge hands where its relatively easy to grasp the ball and throw it into the hoop with his long a55 arms which makes it difficult to defend.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Which would cost an additional 8 million per year, not counting luxury tax. That alone likely makes the deal a nonstarter, though fun to speculate about. If Capela is now going to be a, say, 22/15 guy, it's hard to find that production on the market at his price.

Could Gobert run with James and Russ like Clint does?

roslolian and BaselineFade like this.
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Harden has proven to be teammate-proof on offense. It doesnt matter who we have at center the Rockets offense will be great. Transition will suffer slightly but defense will instantly go from below average to top-10 possibly top-5.

Also I said Morey would make that trade I never said Fertila would. I never expect any Rockets owner to pay the luxury tax so yeah it would be a nonstarter even if Utah stupidly agrees to it

Gray_Jay likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

No one is saying he needs to be a 20ppg guy. But the fact is, he can easily be one if he wanted to. But he's not there yet, which is strange.

It would make the game easier for Harden and Westbrook if he was more of a threat. If the defense is tight, Harden/WB gets Capela's defender switched onto them which makes it easier for Harden. If the defense is loose, Capela runs to the rim for the easy lob.

He just got 30 points against one of the best centers in the game, so we know he can do it. Why this doesn't happen more (especially against bad teams) is confusing.

10. SemisolidSnake

He's certainly stepped something up from last year. And I'm glad to see it. I wonder if his embarrassing performance against the Warriors had something to do with it. I hope it did.

I haven't watched enough this year, though, to figure out what it is that he's stepped up. Last year, I used to spend time during parts of the games solely focused on Clint to see what exactly he was doing. He certainly wasn't boxing out to contend for rebounds was my observation. He's getting more rebounds this year, so I need to see how he's doing it and what else he's doing differently.

Also, we should probably vaccinate him for every disease known to man just to avoid any more playoffs-killing viral episodes.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I mean i agree and all...but

wish he would have shown up in last years playoffs.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I missed this, but truth. Little appreciated fact is that the endurance of CC has risen exponentially.

Plowman likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Theres no doubt he's getting better... but when he puts the ball on the ground or even just brings it down low, too many times a turnover is gonna happen... bc either a small quickly pops it out or he gets outmuscled by a big...

Like I said... I like Clint... I just try to be realistic on his actual skill set... and as aforementioned, he's good for what we need him to be - but I dont see it necessarily correlating equally to different teams and circumstances... Would people be saying he's a 'legit all-star' if he was on a different team and didnt have the benefit of being spoon fed dunks? I think Clint has developed into a solid NBA rotation player - but I'm not ready to call him an all-star just yet... imo...

jordnnnn, RocketWalta and daywalker02 like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morey wouldnt add 8M additional salary for a sidegrade regardless of owner preference.

Capela is great because he is cheap, that gives the Rox a lot of flexibility in other areas of their roster.

15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to keep his mouth shut and keep getting better.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and harold bingo like this.
  17. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Towns would feast in our system, no more double teaming Harden thats for sure.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure what towns has to do with doubling. the harden doubles don't come from the interior

19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

"u see him doing moves now...thanks to westbrooke demanding he do things other then just lobs."

Oh boy you should expand on that statement more...the impact he's made on Capela so far has been over looked

mike2k132 and hakeem94 like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

@YOLO
    @jordnnnn
    @ThatBoyNick

PhiSlamma15 likes this.