1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Grade the Trade: Lakers reportedly deal Lou Williams to Rockets for Brewer, 1st-rounder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 21, 2017.

1. threepointshot3

That pick would have been in the mid to late 20's. It had no use for a win now mode team like us.

DonKnock and roslolian like this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

A- for lakers and B+ for Rockets in Sport Illustrated too. Lakers automatically get get bonus points for anything they do before it happens. Rockets automatically get points taken away before anything happens no matter what it is. Westbrook and Harden are similar this year for MVP. I think Harden is better but he automatically will get penalized for being a Rocket.

3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Imagine if we got both the Lou AND Cousins trades. *Drools

4. TheresTheDagger

Have you ever seen a trade evaluation where the team that got far and away the best player DIDN'T get the better trade value rating?

I can't think of one...

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lakers gets an A cause it's magic's first trade, A for effort/alleviate the ass pounding Morey just unleashed on his first day of work.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, then DMo goes and ruins his streak by failing the Detroit physical.

DonKnock and Pen15clubber like this.
  7. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

So, what they are saying is that the Lakers get an A for being the biggest loser. Awesome to get an A in suckyness.

Zacatecas likes this.
  8. photojoe

photojoe Member

I actually think it's a pretty good deal for both teams.

The Lakers had no need for Williams. Getting a low first round pick was market value for him and they got what they needed. That pick will give them more flexibility in another trade if they desire or give them another young player to develop and another chance to get lucky in the draft- because I really do think a lot of the draft after the first 2 or 3 picks is just luck. And for them even having Brewer isn't bad at all. They aren't going to win anything this year or next year and they have a player that, by all accounts, plays hard and is a good veteran and locker room presence.

For us, we were able to get rid of what was probably our worst/hardest to trade contract and we did it for a better player that fits a bigger need for us and makes a little bit less money. And all it cost us was a draft pick that we really have no need for.

DonKnock, roslolian and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

To be fair. Who cares how the pundits grade it.

If all the pundits grade Morey high, then it would become another reason for other teams to be wary of him. Let Magic think he got one over on Morey.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Meh. Good shooter, no defense.

11. Nivos

Nivos Member

That's an A+ trade for the Rockets.
    I've spoken about Lue Williams trade for over a month now with other Lakers fans trying to sniff how they value Williams.
    They would have laughed at me for offering that deal.
    In any case I was sure we would have to give up a second rounder at least to get rid of Brewer, so to get Brew out and Williams in is just another bang on from Morey.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nice puzzle piece for the bench - 6th man of the year

no skip to my lou

13. baubo

baubo Member

The grades make sense from a layman’s perspective. Writers and most fans only care about how much the team has jumped in the totem pole. The Rockets haven’t really jumped so much as solidified their position as the 3rd best team in the west. So they didn’t really “gain” much. Morey OTOH probably view the trade as “we now have an extra 50% chance to get to the WC semifinals and 30% to get to the WC finals” type of thing instead which gets into the value of the trade for the Rockets beyond “well they still can’t beat the Warriors.”

On the flip side, Lakers couldn’t lose with any trade for Williams. Any trade they make is essentially “best deal possible.” They’re not like the Rockets who may look at fit, cost, salary, etc. For the Lakers it’s basically lining up which pick/young player they like most among the partners. The Lakers can’t lose the trade unless they’re on Kings level of incompetence. So it becomes pretty established they get an A.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He won't get his touches as a starter so better use him as a weapon off the pine.

#34 daywalker02, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

a late first and a scrub for a 6th man candidate who's having a career year? how is that not an a? not giving up any of our early 2nd round picks makes it better.

Zacatecas likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

They wont get a player equal to Capela.

How many 22 yr old big men can effectively start as a center in the league are available at 25 or higher? Capela is solid, which is pretty crazy given his age look at Kanter for example, already a vet making 15M a year and he is worse than Capela. And that dude was a lotto pick!

DonKnock likes this.
  17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Cool I'm glad. I guess Morey will be able to handle GMs for a little bit longer

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Even if the Lakers goal was to tank that's not an A trade. Or even a B trade imo.

That's a 15+ ppg scorer off the bench with an above average 3 pointer. How valuable is that in the league? See Eric Gordon. See Manu. Etc.

If the Lakers are being graded on some sort of curve that means the worse return is better... we'll I'm sure there were better offers then lol. Keeping in mind they wanted a first I'd easily take a teens pick in 18 over the Rockets this year. And i suspect they could have gotten that from someone.

And worst case scenario they could have either waited 2 more days - why the rush? Am- and even waited till the offseason and just stopped playing Lou saying they wanted to get younger guys more PT.

19. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

That's the point. Laker is trying to lose every game.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Brewer got naked photos of Magic's.