1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs-Celtics engaged in Irving for Thomas trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Mr. Space City

Harden still had 30 points.

Harden going 2-11 from 3 has more to do with Harden than Crowder. We've seen Harden many times let guys off the hook by continuing to chuck 3's instead of drive.

He was 4-7 from 2 and was blowing past him all night to get to the free throw line where he went 16-19.

I doesn't really matter what he deserves, Lue is not going to play him at heavy minutes the 2 and we'll see when the season starts.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

questionable

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Dude, really? It was not a good night for him, period. Crowder is capable of guarding 2-4 like I said. They put him on anyone from Harden, to Jimmy Butler, to Paul George, to Lebron.

If u want to state your opinion based on pretty much nothing as fact then go ahead.

4. Mr. Space City

capable =/= consistent defensive option at the 2 night in and night out.

Not 1 game. Not a few possessions. I'm talking night end and night out on guards.

Crowder has been a 3 his entire career and has shown no consistent play the 2 while also playing at a high level at the 2. so you're stating your opinion based on pretty much nothing as fact as well.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

You're stance is basically that Crowder won't play at the 2 because u say so. They had Avery Bradley at SG, so why would they have Crowder play that position for any lengthy period of time? Also, you're incorrect. Bball ref states that he played 12% of his minutes at the 2 this past season. In 14-15, he played 47% of his minutes at the SG spot, so yeah, he has been a SG at times and not "a 3 his entire career." He can guard and play 2-4. The Cavs have Lebron at SF and Love at PF so that is a reason why Crowder may start at the 2. He's capable of playing that position, and he's certainly more qualified to be a starter and play more minutes than any of the 3 guys u mentioned in JR, Korver, and Shump...

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol Reeko. just let it go. its positionless basketball. Crowder can play multiple positions. dont worry hes going to get plenty of minutes in cleveland, especially at the "2"

Reeko likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I'll drop it haha

8. Mr. Space City

My stance is he won't start at the 2 and he will not make a big impact for them defensively.

he's played the majority at the 3 and you just proved it.

12%. You're really going to use that as an arguement?

Lebron will play most of his minutes at the 3.

Jr smith has been good for the Cavs at SG (on top of being a natural SG) on both ends so he will probably start over crowder. Dispite what Korver does he will still play significant minutes at the SG because Lue loves the threat he brings. He spaces the floor just by him being on the floor.

Like I said, when the season comes around. If healthy, JR. will start, crowder won't play that many minutes. And the minutes he will play, will mostly be at the 3 when Lebron goes to the 4.

9. Mr. Space City

Cavs losing to the warriors in 4 anyways so this is too much discussion on a role player.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I'm dropping this

11. BackdoorHarden

This trade happened in a matter of 30 minutes! And the "imminent" and "soon" Melo trade is on day 36324324q2432343

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Reeko and roslolian like this.
  13. Mr. Space City

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't matter what label you put on it. theyre both interchangeable, especially any of the 2,3,4 positions

15. Mr. Space City

yes it does, my argument was he wasn't going to play SG.

i never said he wasn't going to get minutes.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Jumping in...

But when I clicked on the article and rearm Jae starting at PF.... I was surprised. I see it positionless offensively... but it's different defensively.

Seems to me Lebron should be the PF... and that may just be who he guards. Which perhaps supports your positionless comment. Lebron at PG offensively and PF defensively.

In any case every year we step closer and closer to the elimination of the old school game.

A frontcourt of Crowder, Love... lol. I'm ok with it .... just observing.

The future stars are Draymond Greens with a little more offensive game and anyone that can shoot 40%+ on threes.

roslolian and malakas like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

really doesn't bc the point was he can play multiple positions and regardless of what you label it, hes going to play everything from 2,3,4.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

defensively it works bc its small ball anyway. but you need guys that are versatile enough to fit that style of play and actually are capable. its exactly what the rockets did this offseason for defensive purposes

19. Mr. Space City

nothing in the link you posted said he's going to play SG so why are you saying he's "going to play" SG?

wade and jr are gonna take up most SG minutes and even korver might play little minutes at SG.

he can play SF / PF but he's not good as a SG.

you put draymond at SG, that doesn't mean he'll be a good sg.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Oh, I get it.

And even moreso for the Rockets, where Anderson is a complete 0 defensively, and their PF rotation is/was non-existent. So get potential small ball defensive 4s... makes sense.

I'm not sold on it for the Cavs, yet. Unless its Lebron at the 4. I don't trust Jae Crowder at the 4, defensively.

That said, the 4, or at least the traditional 4, seems to be going the way of the 5. I mean there's AD, and nobody can guard him, and Jae guarding him is laughable. There's Blake, but it isn't clear how valuable he is. I think you can go small on him if you think it gives you an advantage otherwise. There's Draymond or KD... and I guess, again, whether it's a small like Jae guarding them or Tristan, not sure it matters a ton. Paul Millsap. LMA. Porzingis....?? Not so many "BIG" 4's anymore....

Tristan was of course horrible in the Finals. Completely useless. So can't fault the Cavs for testing this starting lineup out.