1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs assistant sees similarities between this team and ’94 Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by magnomonkey, May 4, 2009.

1. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

Dont really know what I think about this just thought it was interesting.
    ------------------------
    By Chris Beaven
    CantonRep.com staff writer
    Posted May 02, 2009 @ 06:49 PM

One hard-working, unselfish superstar such as LeBron James doesn’t guarantee an NBA championship.

But it’s a good starting point. And 15 years ago, Cavs assistant coach Chris Jent saw first hand what one can do when he played with Hakeem Olajuwon and the Houston Rockets.

“The Dream” led the Rockets to their first of two straight NBA titles that season. Olajuwon was in his prime as a dominant center, and he was surrounded by a cast of strong role players from veterans Vernon Maxwell, Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith and Mario Elie to youngsters Robert Horry and Sam Cassell.

“As far as roles, guys on that team played their role,” said Jent, who joined Houston late in the 2003-04 season and appeared in 11 playoff games. “They understood what they were supposed to do out there on the floor, and they stayed within that. We relied on Dream. Dream was our go-to guy. Everyone understood it, you recognized it, and you played around it.

“And I think as far as this team and that team goes, that’s where the striking similarity is. LeBron is our superstar. Everyone understands that, and everyone feeds off of him and works around him.”

James’ supporting cast includes first-time All-Star Mo Williams; former All-Stars Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Ben Wallace and Wally Szczerbiak; and a mix of veterans and young players such as Joe Smith, Delonte West, Anderson Varejao and Daniel Gibson.

James relishes winning games as a group.

“I just love to play the game and be a part of a team,” James said. “I like that side of the game. I’ve always wanted to be team player. I always liked the success of my teammates. It just stuck with me the rest of my life.”

Because of that attitude, Jent said James shares Olajuwon’s trait of being a good teammate.

“It didn’t matter who it was (in Houston),” Jent said. “Even if I was out there, and I turned down a shot, he’d say, ‘Hey, no, no, no. You shoot the ball. We have confidence in you.’ ... He definitely tried to build his teammates up. There’s no doubt about that.”

James does the same in Cleveland — encouraging, celebrating and enjoying every moment with his teammates.

“Bron really cares for his teammates and appreciates them, and I think they feel the same way about him,” Jent said. “He really helps raise their level of play, too.”

2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Lebron Who? Dream is/was the BEST.

3. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

There's a reason why he's an assistant and not a head coach you know. :p

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

5. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Cleveland?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZzgAjjuqZM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZzgAjjuqZM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL Jent you can give yourself some credit.