1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs after Lowry???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by davestrate, Jul 11, 2010.

1. davestrate

davestrate Member

Seems to me the Cavs have the cap money and assets to complete an offer sheet for Lowry and/or a sign & trade for him. This could be either really bad if they outright give him a high offer, or they make seek to sign & trade for him with the Houston Rockets. Both have pros and cons but any thoughts???

Cleveland Cavaliers may be ready to begin reconstruction of rosterPublished: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 11:12 PM Updated: Sunday, July 11, 2010, 5:47 AM
    Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer

..........Another player the Cavs have on their radar, according to sources, is Houston Rockets restricted free agent guard Kyle Lowry. He's not a flashy player or a great scorer but is known for his strength on defense. He was a backup with the Rockets last season and averaged 9.1 points and 4.5 assists in 24 minutes a game.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

S&T isn't happening.

Like with Scola, and I want Lowry to stay, but if the Cavs lose their minds and sign him to $7M....that's too bad.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Cavs will use their cap room. Instead, they will use the $14.5M trade exception they got for Lebron, along with their MLE and LLE.

We'll see if they try to use most/all of their MLE on Lowry.

4. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

It would be Lowry's team.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lowry wants a starting job, but would he really go to a **** team to get it? I'd understand if he was getting calls from say the Magic, Lakers, or Hawks to lead a playoff-ready squad... but the Cavs?

Not title contenders, not playoff contenders, nothing. That is the sad fact they are nothing without LeBron. I mean if you take out Yao from our roster, we still have a above .500 team.

6. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

that team already has a starting point guard in Mo williams. Unless they trade him I do not see why they would over pay another pg just to have him ride the bench. Correct me if I am wrong

7. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Lowry is a young guy. At this stage, he's focus on earning the most as he can, and if he does sign with the Cavs, and does well there, he'll get a even fatter paycheck. I can of feel sorry for Lowry. He seems to always be at the wrong place at the wrong team.

8. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

He seems like the guy who would take on the challenge of trying to make the cavs not a joke. Sad thing is I could see him getting the fans to keep coming to games with his hard work and hustle. That stuff is very contagious. I think a lot of the fans sometimes underestimate him. Most people on here know what he is worth, but the casual rocket fan just knows his name, not his impact

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I think you seriously underestimate the Cavs. Much like the Lebron-obsessed media, you think that the Cavs have nothing more than D-Leaguers besides him. The Cavs have former All-Stars in Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams, one of the league's best defenders in Anderson Varajeo, and a rather large trade exception that could easily net the team a player like Al Jefferson, if Cleveland was so inclined. And while I'm not his biggest fan, the Cavs also have a pretty good coach now in Byron Scott who will get the most out of that team. I would not at all be surprised if the Cavs sneak into the playoffs next season. I think that Cavs roster might even be better than the "new and improved" Knicks roster.

1 person likes this.
  10. davestrate

davestrate Member

true but word has it that the cavs and hawks are discussing a trade that would ship mo to atlanta for the likes of childress and marvin williams, or so i read yesterday.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

How can the Cavs offer to sign Lowry to any more than the MLE? The Cavs signed and traded Lebron and now have a large trade exception, right? That large trade exception counts against their total salary, so they are not under the cap. You can't double dip, either you get the TE or you get the cap space, but you can't have both.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Childress was traded to the Suns.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard someone from Cleveland in the last few days talking about the team moving Mo Williams to the 2.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

fixed

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

True, but Varajeo gets the calls. That's all that matters. ;)

Still, the CURRENT Cavs team is capable of making the playoffs in the East. And they can still add a significant piece using that trade exception and some of the future picks they now have. Let alone the fact that they have quality players like Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon and J.J. Hickson filling out their rotation.

Frankly, I'd be more surprised if the Cavs crash and burn (i.e., top 5 pre-lottery draft slot) than if they make the playoffs next season.

16. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

If the person that said it would be Lowry's team is serious, then they are dumb.

And I doubt that they would offer to overpay Lowry by much considering that Mo Williams has been terrific for them for a few years. Just like we tend to overvalue our players, other teams do the same with their players. Mo Williams is probably a bonafide superstar in the eyes of Cavs management and fans.

17. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

That's because he was playing with Lebron, the league's baby. He ain't got no calls any more from now. We'll see.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Maybe. But Varajeo failing to get one or two charge calls per game is not going to be the difference between the Cavs winning 40-45 games and being utter lottery trash.

19. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

That I agree.
    BTW, if Yao were to play with Lebron, he will be more dominant that Shaq was just due to the calls.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4dy-4-eVfTo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4dy-4-eVfTo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>