1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato - Jeramine O'Neil to Chicago

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by barbourdg, Jun 9, 2000.

1. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I saw the report on NBA draft talk the other day that there were reports that Portland & Chicago were talking about a possible trade of Jerramine O'Neil for the 5th pick.

Any comments on that rumor?

If Chicago was that interested in O'Neil, wouldn't they be more interested in Cato & possible drew, since he has a personal relationship with the Chicago Coach. I know that before we signed him last year, all reports were he was going to eventually go play for his old college coach in Chicago anyway?

------------------

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You just saw a report of a report?

Saying "my sources tell me" instead will generate much more responses. Go for the gusto. Dream big and extrapolate, or ye shall get lost in the rumor reeds.

3. wong

wong Member

Jermaine is a whole lot better than Cato. He's a terrific shot blocker, has good moves on offense, and actually plays hard and rebounds. I don't think there's an area where Cato is better. Plus, he has a lot more of an upside than Cato.

------------------

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I know Jerry Krause liked Cato alot last year and the reason Houston signed Cato so early was most likely because of Chicago. Chicago had their eyes set on Cato this summer and Houston didnt want to risk losing him. But if chicago wants him now , go ahead and take him. [​IMG]

I WANT MILES!

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

5. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Even if Jeramine is slightly better than Cato, chicago needs a PG (Drew), a player like Cato or Jeramine, and I am sure they would love to have that 4.5 million in trade exceptions.

Could you imagine picking 5th & 9th.

------------------

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just wanted to point out that the 5th pick belongs to the Magic. The Bulls have the 4th and 7th picks.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

First off, Jermaine O'Neal has a bigger upside than Cato -- has more talent I'd say at the moment. Also, from earlier reports, the Bulls would like to have Jermaine to lure other players (McGrady?)

As I'm sure aelliott can tell you, you can't trade a player for a pick unless that team has the cap room to assume that player's salary. Chicago does have that cap room but would not use part of that room and their top pick just for Cato.

For those realists who say Cato isn't worth a top pick I agree, but one question: Would you rather have Chris Mihm, Joel Przybilla or Kelvin Cato?

I'm not saying that is an overwhelming question in favor of Cato or anything because it's tough to say, but Mihm and Przybilla are expected to go in the Top 8.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just thought I'd throw this out there-Would you trade the #9 pick (Tsakalidis), Rogers, and Drew, and about 1 mill in exception for Jermaine O'Neal? The player Portland wants is Tsakalidis, as a "Shaq stopper" if they can't manage to get Pryzbilla.

Cato and O'Neal on the front line....intriguing.

While I'm posting, Clutch, I was just wondering if you could find out from your "source" if the Rockets expect to get any picks conveyed to them?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

9. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

Didn't O'neal want the maximum or something from Portland one or two seasons ago, when he was averaging about 2 points and 2 rebounds? I would not want such a stuck up young fellow on the Rockets.

10. The Cat

Nike- I wouldn't even consider it, although I can see why some would. I'm not overall that impressed with O'Neal, especially with his big contract now, and his lack of production his whole career. I think the #9 pick is a lot better than O'Neal, not even mentioning Rogers and Drew.

------------------

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm with The Cat on this one. Chicago would be out of their mind to make that move.

O'Neil is a young potential talent, but nowhere near even a top 10 pick. Jermaine has a long way to go to becoming a decent role player, let alone a dominant one.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jermaine O'Neal was the #17 pick FOUR years ago. I'd think his status has moved up a few slots. While #4, I'm not sure, trading the #9, for O'Neal (Rogers/Drew were for salary purposes) would be well worth it. I'm torn on this, but O'Neal would look pretty good up front next to Cato. Shot blocking, the little guards would stay on the perimeter, making life easier on defense for our guards, making life easier on our guards on offense, since defense would be much easier. The max amount of minutes he's gotten was 13.5, in his 2nd year. He averaged .97 blocks that year, not bad. Give him 30 minutes, and that's at least 2.5 blocks. Experience is big, and just acclimating to NBA life is a huge plus. Will he have the same growing pains as Cato? Probably, but he's 4 years younger, and has at least as much potential as the #9 pick (barring maybe Darius Miles, or Dermarr Johnson)

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

13. The Cat

I personally think his status has moved DOWN a few spots, but that's just me. I just really haven't seen that much from Jermaine. To me he is a very unproven player who has never averaged more than 4 points a game. I know he hasn't played a lot of minutes, but with this being his 4th season in the league, you'd think he would have made a push for those minutes by now. I might be wrong, but like I said I wouldn't consider trading the 9th pick for him. I would much prefer to have Miles, Miller, Moiso, Johnson, etc. more than Jermaine O'Neal.

------------------

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cato or Przbilla or Mihm?
    Mihm just got his head handed him by Magloire in a tryout, according to nbatalk; Chicago's said to have cooled on him. Tim Floyd might want Cato the other former Cyclone on his new team, if he can talk the Jerrys into the idea. If Chicago was interested last year, it may have been because of Floyd.

------------------

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Rashard Lewis has more upside than Jermaine O'Neil.

4 years in the league and he can't crack the 10 mpg mark?? Something isn't quite right about that.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

16. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

If Portland wants to trade Oneal it is because all these people think he is better than Portland knows he is, or that he has more potential than he really does. Not saying he won't make a starting caliber player in the NBA eventually, but I have seen nothing from Oneal yet. Cato certainly would have played more minutes in this years playoffs than Oneal did.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."