1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato and Walt are Not Overpaid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Aug 17, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Bobby

Bobby Member

Not only in salary, but also in ability.

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!

2. haven

haven Member

Hoop-T: good points... I just mean, why not wait until he's played 20-30 games in the NBA before predicting how good he's going to be? By that time, it seems most players are much easier to gauge.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Haven,
    I do think a lot of us got overexcited and began salivating over Langhi due to his performance in the summer league (also maybe partially in an effort to salvage our feelings in light of what we thought was a bad draft). He did look good.

I just have a feeling about this guy. But then, I had a feeling about Buck Johnson once too. [​IMG]

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

I didn't read all of the posts, so forgive me if this is a repeat. I know asked us to name 10 centers that are better than Kelvin. Let me phrase the question in a different way. Name 10 centers that you would rather have at this point in their careers (and making the money they now make).

------------------

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Can we include the center prospects in next years draft???

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Centers I would rather have than cato (regardless of contracts):
    Shaq
    Mourning
    Duncan
    McDyess
    Sheed
    Brian Grant (could play C better than Cato)
    Ilguaskas - He is good but injury pron
    Motumbo
    Pryz
    Mihm
    Pig

My better question is which center would you rather not have for the money. Osterfat is also grossly overpaid and I would rather have him than Cato. Osterfat blocked more shots/minute than Cato last year.

------------------

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Big Country?

He he!

[​IMG]

------------------

8. TB3

TB3 Member

You guys need to quit smoking so much crack, so you can remember how important DEFENSE is to the center position. Cato is a VERY GOOD defensive center. If Kelvin can score 12 pts. a game this year, imo, he is DEFINITELY a top ten center. The fact that most of you list power forwards tells me that you cannot think of 10 centers.

To the guy who listed Mihm, Pryz, and Osterfat- do you watch much basketball?

------------------
    “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” (Al Gore, CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer,” 3/9/99)

www.algore-2000.org

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Crack? Cartman, what the hell are you talking about?

Dude, don't be so uptight. You can disagree and debate without that kind of trash.

I am pretty sure I listed 10, no 12, centers I would rather have before Cato. I am basing this on where they start on the court for their teams.....ya know, if the announcer says, "And starting at center..." Some of the centers in the NBA are listed as forwards on NBA.com, but start at center.

I won't argue Kelvin is a good defensive center. He is top ten defensively, but not all around. I also will say that I think he can in fact average 12 ppg. I would love it if you were right, but I don't see it yet. I didn't see it last year. To be honest, I question his desire and work ethic. We will see this season.

------------------

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited August 17, 2000).]

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Check your rosters again. Duncan AND McDyess AND Sheed AND Grant all play forward, not center. Heck, why don't we list Vince Carter and Garnett while we're at it? The talent list at C is pretty short - always has been. But you need a legit C on your roster (unless you have a guy named Jordan) if you want to win a ring.

Pryz? Let's see him play a game in the NBA 1st. Mihm, I've seen alot of. He's downy-soft. Ilgauskas? Didn't he sit out last year injured? Go ahead and list Muresan too, then, and Brad Daugherty. Pig? Please.

The list of Cs better than Cato (CBTC):
    (1) Shaq
    (2) Zo
    (3) Mutombo
    (4) Sabonis
    (5) Divac
    (6) Robinson
    You can go ahead and throw in the old guys like Dream and Ewing too, if healthy. And that's it! So Cato has to crack the top-10 list, if for no other reason than default.

------------------

11. New Jack

New Jack Member

Here is my list of centers I that I think are better then Cato:
    -Shaq
    -Duncan
    -Mourning
    -Olajuwon
    -David Robinson
    -Patrick Ewing
    -Mutombo
    -Arvydas Sabonis
    -Rik Smits
    -Ilgauskas
    -Vlade Divac
    -Elden Cambell

Here’s a list of players that I think could play the center position better then Cato even though it is not their natural position:
    -Jermaine O'Neal(more potential)
    -Erick Dampier
    -Raef LaFrentz
    -Theo Ratliff
    -Brian Grant
    -Antonio Davis
    -Rasheed Wallace
    -Antonio Mcdyess

If money is a factor then:
    -Olowokandi-I would rather have Olowokandi with a salary of 3.5 million a year then Cato at 6 million per year.
    -Keon Clark-only makes 1.2 mil. compared to Cato's 6.

If your counting players that might be available in next years draft:
    -Eddy Curry
    -Tyson Chandler
    -Loren Wood
    -Brendan Haywood

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

SamCassell,
    A note of correction...McDyess starts at center. It matters not what the roster says, if they start and play at center, they are the center. The "F" by their name means nada in McDyess' case, as well as Horace Grant's.

------------------

13. TB3

TB3 Member

New Jack, when Cato is whipping Ewing, Smits, Campbell, and several of the others on your list this year, I will be thinking about how silly your post is. How can you possibly expect to be taken seriously when you think that a HIGH SCHOOL player is better than Kelvin Cato????

------------------
    “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” (Al Gore, CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer,” 3/9/99)

www.algore-2000.org

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

TB3,
    My fellow crack smoking buddy. Please read my post above.

Also, speaking of silly, do you think Sean Bradley is a top 10 center? You must, because he had slightly better numbers than Cato this past year with near identical minutes.

Bradley:
    24.7 mpg
    8.4 ppg
    6.5 rpg
    2.47 blocks per game (5th in the league)

Cato:
    24.3 mpg
    8.7 ppg
    6.0 rpg
    1.91 blocks (12th in the NBA)

Now tell me...who would you rather have? Yeah, I would rather have Cato too, because he may BECOME a top 10 center someday.

------------------

15. TB3

TB3 Member

HoopT, even though your front teeth are rotting, and you refuse to pass me that glass pipe, I will fight my jones and continue this thread.

Cato played hurt last year, and his number reflect his injuries. We saw a healthy Cato during the preseason last year, and it was all downhill from there.

------------------
    MP: The Republicans are trying to turn it into a hate Gore crowd, with little success. It is so patently preposterous to make analogy to, err to Clinton's faulty character, deeply flawed, deeply deeply flawed, err in some ways loathsome character, with Al Gore.

JV: Some of our viewers may just be thinking did we hear that right, Mr Gore's advisor, describing Mr Clinton as loathsome?

MP: Yes I did. (Marty Peretz)

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

TB3, I'm sure you'll be able to remove some names on my list in the future(Smits, Sabonis, ect.) but still that is 26 players on that list that I would rather have playing center for the rockets at this point and time.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope Cato proves to all his critics that he's the real deal. But I don't see that happening.

------------------

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

TB3,
    I come at you with facts, you come at me with petty insults....funny.

As long as you continue this thread, you continue to shoot your credibility in the A$$.

NO CRACK FOR YOU!!

------------------

18. TB3

TB3 Member

NewJack, you have never seen some of those guys play basketball before, so how can you possible stand by your argument??

Hint- you can't.

Kelvin has been working hard this summer, and he is going to make you naysayers eat your words! Then, we all win! [​IMG]

------------------
    MP: The Republicans are trying to turn it into a hate Gore crowd, with little success. It is so patently preposterous to make analogy to, err to Clinton's faulty character, deeply flawed, deeply deeply flawed, err in some ways loathsome character, with Al Gore.

JV: Some of our viewers may just be thinking did we hear that right, Mr Gore's advisor, describing Mr Clinton as loathsome?

19. TB3

TB3 Member

HoopT, I hope somebody buys you a sense of humor for Christmas.

And, BTW, YOUR OPINION IS NOT FACT.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TB3 (edited August 17, 2000).]

20. playahata

playahata Member

If Cato has worked on his body and game this summer AND learned how to catch the ball he will be good this year. If he can catch the ball he will score 10-14 pts a game from dunks created by guard penetration and alley oops. If he can learn to stay outta foul troule he could be a top 5 player.

Based on last years performance ... he's a work in progress.

------------------